Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

This question has probably been answered, but I did a search and couldn't find a direct link to it.

I'm sure some of you plasma owners out there play lots of xbox/ps2/gc games on their plasma. I'm waiting to receive my plasma, and I'm wondering what precautions you all take to minimize the burn-in risk.

Do you play games for specific periods of time (2 hour limit or something)?

Do you put the wobbler on at all times during gameplay?

Do you try to turn off as my HUD options as possible, or even limit your games to games that don't have large bright HUDs?

Any info would help!

Thanks!!

-JR

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Contrast should be set to a minimum and playtime of games with static images should be limited. That's really the best you can do.

Sports games are burn-in culprits because they keep returning to bright white static logos and images so be careful with them.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dean. I'll be sure to keep my contrast settings low for the xbox.

I don't play Sports games, but I do play games like KOTOR and Crimson Skies, that have fairly bright HUD placement. Sounds like it's a per game assesment that has to be made. Have you ever had any sort of game related burn in on your plasma?

-JR

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Sorry, I should have been more clear, I don't own a plasma set, I have a DLP set which does not suffer from burn. I have seen burn-in first hand and mostly it occurs on rear projection CRT type sets. As long as they are careful, RPTV users have been ok. You always hear that story about their kid or room mate that played a game, left it on, etc. and burned an image in. Plasma CAN burn in rather easy but most people that use the cautions I mentioned have played on Plasmas without burn.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a Panny 42 inch HD Plasma and 0 problems in the 1 1/2 years I've had it.

I probably average 2-3 hours at a time when I play (PC and/or Xbox).

I turned the contrast down from the factory settings which were way off anyways.

I don't leave the game paused for a long period of time. If I do and need to go for awhile for whatever reason then I just switch the input while I step away.

I autohide the start menu for my pc.

That's about it.

Early on I was worried because its always mentioned as a problem with plasmas, but now I'm past that. Burn-in is not an issue for me.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'm curious as to why plasmas are assumed to be so susceptible to burn. I was under the impression that the phosphor isn't pushed any harder than on a regular tube TV. I understand the technology behind a plasma display, but if anyone feels like jumping in and explaining why burn is an issue, I'm up for a lesson.

Shawn

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dean and Tim!

There have been some incidents of reported burn-in posted in the Flat Panel forum here, I believe one was due to logo (watching sports and having the logo burn-in) and one was due to viewing the tivo menu.

The games I play tend to have some rather bright/hot spots to them, for example, if you load up Project Gotham 2, you'll notice the big bright white K in the upper right hand of the screen, denoting your Kudos. I tend to play Gotham for a good 2 hours solid at times...which concerns me a bit.

I'd rather been safe than sorry with my unit than just go nuts and say "wow...why do I see the ghost of a big K floating in the sky of this nighttime scene of Unforgiven?"

Hence the reason I'm asking if any gamers do anything to avoid that from occuring. :D

-JR

·
Registered
73 Posts
Being somewhat careful with the brightness and contrast on a plasma pretty much makes burn-in a non-issue, as the others have said. Don't freak out, though, if you do see some ghosting after switching your games off. I especially noticed it after playing KOTOR (that health bar is bright!) for a few hours at a time, but it does go away, and is really only noticeable when the screen is dark.

bakem

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I have a Panasonic PWD6UY that I calibrated with DVE. I think that pretty much every game I've played has a nasty HUD or other bright static image somewhere on the screen (True Crime, Halo, KOTOR, etc.). I usually play for 1 to 2 hours at a time, but I also leave the wobbler on just as an extra precautionary measure.

Scott

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Super thanks steel, you have the exact plasma that I've ordered and am waiting on. Good to hear that you've had no problems. :)

-JR

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnPeters
I'm curious as to why plasmas are assumed to be so susceptible to burn. I was under the impression that the phosphor isn't pushed any harder than on a regular tube TV. I understand the technology behind a plasma display, but if anyone feels like jumping in and explaining why burn is an issue, I'm up for a lesson.

Shawn
The problem isn't that they are 'so susceptible' as in 'MORE sucsceptible'. The problem is that people don't realize that they can be burned at all because they think the technology is very different from an RPTV. Even though it is different, it still uses phosphor and therefore still prone to possible burn in. The other thing i think that may lead to quick burn in is that the resolution on many plasmas is much higher and delivers crisper images making that burn in more likely. I could be wrong on that last point, I read it somewhere.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Dean,

I see your point. But if the chances of burn on plasma end up being the same as on regular CRT, why would everyone worry about it since this concern is never really applied to CRT?

The point you made about higher resolution makes sense in that the phosphor would be excited in a higher concentration, much in the way that a finer electron beam might cause more damage than a wider one. I'm not sure if any of this is true, but it's a theory.

Shawn

·
Registered
265 Posts
The concern has applied to CRT, but CRT has come a long way in 20+ years. Back in the early 80's when computers were starting to get small enough to fit on a desk monitors constantly burned in. Even today monitors can burn in, as my 17" has from leaving the PC on 24/7 and Windows having an issue of turning the monitor off then not being able to turn it back on again. So on very light screens one can see my start menu at the bottom icon locations and all.

In 20 years plasma displays will probably take years to burn in like it takes for CRT's.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Remember that's why "screensaver" programs for computer monitors were created in the first place. I guess no one really worries about the start menu on Windows being on constantly any more. Maybe someday plasma owners will look back and say "remember the days when...?"

What about DLP? My understanding is that DLP is less or not susceptible to burn-in so can be hooked up to computers and videogame consoles with no problem of burn-in. Correct?

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnPeters
Dean,

I see your point. But if the chances of burn on plasma end up being the same as on regular CRT, why would everyone worry about it since this concern is never really applied to CRT?

The point you made about higher resolution makes sense in that the phosphor would be excited in a higher concentration, much in the way that a finer electron beam might cause more damage than a wider one. I'm not sure if any of this is true, but it's a theory.

Shawn
'Regular' Crt's I would imagine would take much longer. It's Rear projection CRT based sets that get all the attention.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Quote:
turned the contrast down from the factory settings which were way off anyways.

I don't leave the game paused for a long period of time. If I do and need to go for awhile for whatever reason then I just switch the input while I step away.

I autohide the start menu for my pc.

That's about it.

Early on I was worried because its always mentioned as a problem with plasmas, but now I'm past that. Burn-in is not an issue for me.
this is pretty much bang-on in my experience.

i have a fujitsu P50, and have played xbox games (with static screen elements like health bars and ammo gauges) on it sometimes for 6 hours or more at a time, with no problems at all. none.

if you are sure to lower the contrast and brightness of your plasma to reasonable levels, then you will have done probably 90% of the heavy lifting with regard to avoiding burn-in.

after that, it makes sense not to leave games paused for extended periods of time - whenever i have to walk away to take a phone call or something, i just switch the input to "TV" and get a black screen. takes 2 seconds.

i also watch movies and stretched SD television, which helps to ensure even phosphor burn.

basically, i wouldn't worry about it. at all.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Quote:
DLPs are just a bunch of little mirrors - Burn in not an issue.
burn-in is only an issue for phosphor-based displays.

however, DLP has its own hazards: stuck mirrors, hinge-fatigue, and hinge-memory.

but let me also point out that these are all basically non-issues for DLP. just like burn-in for (reasonable) plasma users.

ps. sorry, dean - i had to say it... :D

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by john doran
burn-in is only an issue for phosphor-based displays.

however, DLP has its own hazards: stuck mirrors, hinge-fatigue, and hinge-memory.

but let me also point out that these are all basically non-issues for DLP. just like burn-in for (reasonable) plasma users.

ps. sorry, dean - i had to say it... :D
LOL. I can't deny it, stuck mirrors are an issue on DLP. I have a stuck mirror on my X1. It's way off to the side and doesn't bother me though. I will say that LCD also can suffer from stuck mirrors.

But of course none of this applies to burn in worries.:p

·
Registered
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Martin
'Regular' Crt's I would imagine would take much longer. It's Rear projection CRT based sets that get all the attention.
Yes, I know. What I'm trying to say is that, if people aren't worried about it happening to direct view ("regular") CRT's, why should they be so worried with plasma since the stress on the phosphor should really be the same?

My theory is that the amount that people worry about these things is directly related to the amount they pay for their systems. Because of this worry, rumours spread and people accept them as fact. A guy a the local electronics store told me that plasma gets burned easily, as he pointed to a pristine demo plasma screen that had been running all day, every day for at least 6 months. There was no burn or wear. Neither he nor anyone he worked with had ever seen burn on them. But he was convinced that it was a real problem, enough to tell customers.

I have never seen burn on a direct view CRT, with the exception of arcade booths. I really don't believe that plasma is much more susceptible. And if it is, it is only marginally so, but nothing to worry about.

Shawn

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.