Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Further proof of Xbox price drop?

An alleged advertisement could further support reports that an Xbox price drop is imminent in the US.

An alleged scan of a Wal*Mart advertisement that has been circulating online may lend additional credence to Reuter's recent report that an Xbox price drop is imminent in the US. The advertisement was purportedly set to run in Sunday papers on May 26th, but is said to have leaked early. The ad marks the system's price as $199.94--down from its current price point of $299.96.

Representatives at Wal*Mart were not available at press time to confirm or deny the advertisement's validity. Microsoft officials offered no comment. We'll have more on this story as it develops.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...864950,00.html

·
Registered
354 Posts
it does seem very likely that the price in the US will drop soon. After all, the price in the EU has just droppede to about the same level as the American. It would be a first for a game console not to be cheaper in the US than the EU :)

-Jens

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I don't know whether to believe this. There have been internet rumors abound about XBox before that haven't come true, so this might just be another one. But I would not put anything pass Microsoft to load the market with a ton of cheap consoles and make the money downstream on the royalties of the games. But Microsoft is already lossing money at $299, and there is no reliable source of info in this story.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Microsoft has to do something... they're game console is too expensive and it has no software for it. PS2 is expensive also, but they have a massive library now and a huge install base. Exactly what game developers want... lot's of potential customers. I've been holding off... I wouldn't be surprised if this is another arena that MSFT will have to throw in the towel after a few years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The price is going to drop in a few weeks when the E3 show starts. The PS2 will have a drop as well.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheaper Xbox begins to catch up

By Ian Lynch [09-05-2002]

Microsoft console finally closes in on PlayStation 2.

After a disastrous start that saw Microsoft wipe £100 off the asking price of its Xbox just six weeks after launch, sales of the console are finally closing in on Sony's PlayStation 2.

But despite the £199 price tag, the benefits of a multimillion pound launch and more features, sales still marginally lagged behind those of the two-year-old Sony device in the week following the industry's quickest ever price drop, according to market watcher Charttrack.

Xbox has a built-in hard drive, a broadband adapter and more graphics processing power than the PlayStation 2, but far fewer games.

It also lacks the Sony console's ability to allow gamers to play their back catalogue of PlayStation games on the newer machine.

"Our customers have reacted positively to the price drop and we have seen an uplift in sales since 26 April," said Alex Croft, head of buying at the Game chain of video games stores.

Microsoft is putting a brave face on its failure to become the UK's best seller in the week following its price cut.

Sandy Duncan, vice president of Xbox Europe, said: "As we've said before, this is a marathon, not a sprint, and these initial figures are extremely encouraging.

"The increased Xbox sales since the price reduction indicate that the strategy is on track. The new price allows us to be more competitive and make serious inroads into the hearts of European gamers leading up to Christmas 2002."

As well as battling against PlayStation 2, Microsoft now faces competition from Nintendo's new console, the GameCube.

The Japanese firm has savagely undercut both the PlayStation 2 and Xbox, launching at just £129, and claims to have sold 75,000 consoles in the first two days following its UK launch last week.

http://www.vnunet.com/News/1131631

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love MSFT's response: "sales since the price reduction indicate that the strategy is on track."

Gee--- you think... If the strategy is to keep dropping the price and eventually somebody will buy it. I wonder what MSFT's sales comments will be like if they drop the price to a $1. "Our strategy has worked beyond all expectations."

·
Registered
354 Posts
Not wanting to spoil the party but...ehr... is this thread in the right forum section?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Yenzu
Not wanting to spoil the party but...ehr... is this thread in the right forum section?
Sure, point me to the correct forum. It's just FYI.... some people such as myself play games with their projectors.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Microsoft is generating cash a lot faster than they can spend it. If Microsoft believes in the long-term viability of their product, I would imagine they'll just stick with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.