Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking Inside The Box

It’s an old-fashioned price war. Microsoft cut $160 from the tags on Xbox on Wednesday, in an attempt to mark out a spot for its game console after the price slashing on Playstation II that Sony announced Tuesday.

Bill Gates’ internet-emprowered intellivision now sells for $299 in Canada, down from $459. That drop comes in lockstep with a chop stateside, where both the Xbox and the Sony console sell for $199.

Much as it sounds like marketing hardball, it’s really a case of catch-up. Microsoft, a latecomer to the multi-billion dollar gaming market, has taken a beating. For every Xbox that sells, ten Sony Playstations leave the shelves. Unit sales have fallen about 30% short of targets.

It’s the kind of drubbing that the software behemoth from Redmond isn’t used to hearing outside of the pages of MacWorld. But pockets appear deep enough to help prop up the alleged monopolist’s first arcade adventure. Jim O’Rourke hinted that more cuts are in the works, “to make sure nobody buys another video game system because of price.â€

http://www.pulse24.com/Business/Top_...5-003/page.asp

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Some of those stats are wrong, and you're talking about some "Weird" money but using a $? :)

In the US, it dropped $100 from 299 to 199. Currently, there are 10 times as many PS2s sold as Xboxs, but it has a year lead. They are not selling currently at such a disproportionate rate.

I think things are going to heat up when both systems go online (PS2 with FFX and Xbox's semi-unknown network launch this summer.)

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
It's pretty sad that the PS2 outsells the xbox by so much. The xbox is a FAR superior system. Yes I won both and no, I haven't played the ps2 much since getting the xbox. IMO, better games on the xbox and the system's performance is just 10 times better than that of the PS2.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not True.... Ps2 is The Best console out there!!!

TRUE the xbox graphics are better! But the ps2 games are 500 times Smoother, Faster, Funner and All!!! i play console for the FUN of the game not for the better graphics!!!

What im Trying to say is: MEGA DRIVE RULZ!

cya...... (ps2 Forever)!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PS2 software library is superior, but 480i sucks big time... esp. on a big screen.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy-Shadow
Not True.... Ps2 is The Best console out there!!!

TRUE the xbox graphics are better! But the ps2 games are 500 times Smoother, Faster, Funner and All!!! i play console for the FUN of the game not for the better graphics!!!

What im Trying to say is: MEGA DRIVE RULZ!

cya...... (ps2 Forever)!
Funner?

What TV are you playing on that PS2 games look better? Grandma's 20 year old Zenith? The system is a year older and harder to write for and it shows. Hook up an Xbox up to an HDTV and see which one wins.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
For the deal savvy (since we are in the cheapskate group afterall). KB Toys is having half off of all video games accessories. So the controllers are $19.99 and the DVD remote is $17.49, hdtv pack is $9.99--you get the idea. If you do a price match at best buy they should do 110% price guarantee also but I'm not quibling since I don't have and ad in hand.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
While we are talking about game consoles and big screen, I seem to remember that the Sega Dreamcast was superior to both as far as picture quality. These can be had routinely for $30 to $40 on E-Bay. I was thinking about getting one for my Panny 75u, even though we already have a PS2. Anybody using the SEGA on the VGA in on their AE-100, 701/711/75?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I've read of people using it and it locking into WIDE480 and looking nice. I've only used it on an SVGA, 27" display and the results were great.

Xbox and the Dreamcast are equal in the VGA abilities. They both will send out a true progressive signal. Up until recently, PS2 could not and most VGA boxes were simple line doublers that looked bad. Now, a few games are starting to support 480p output.

Xbox does have the ability to go higher resolutions, but no games have done more than 480p. A few are 16:9, which should look awesome.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just figured out that SSX:Tricky on the ps2 has an anamorphic mode and the sound is in DTS. It still has some jaggies and stuff but it's much better than I expected.

What's the deal with VGA from the PS2... can it be done or not?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sega Dreamcast with VGA box is a phenomenal solution one that works

particularly well on an AE100. The picture is absolutely crisp. IF you demo an AE100... you gotta see it with a Dreamcast+VGA.

PS2 is abysmal although the games may be "funner" if you don't particularly care about PQ. Tekken4 is the only 480P PS2 game currently.

VGA from PS2 cannot be done well. The Redant box is horrific (cheapo line doubler) I've given up on PS2 with FP, it's just to full of artifacts. If you want you can get an iScan for proper deinterlacing, but it's alot of money for just a PS2.

Now with an Xbox so cheap, it's worth getting for it's native 480P capabilities. Many new PS2 games are also out on Xbox or gamecube. I'm buying both GC&Xbox for the same money as an iScan. There is no XBox VGA box, but a component->transcoder will do the trick.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I was under the (false?) impression that the Sega had a built in VGA port...Am I to understand that it's an add-on. Is it readily available now that the Dreamcast is discontinued?

·
Registered
107 Posts
The Dreamcast requires an external 'box' for VGA output. The one I have is from Madness Gameware.

You can still get a VGA adapter from Gamestop, although Dreamcast stuff is getting harder to come by these days.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not sure about the tech details, but tpparently the DC Hardware is very "VGA" aware so the adapter box is simple and cheap... not a line doubler or transcoder like the other consoles need. The DC VGA box is very cheap! ($15) and is readily available from your local video game shack or the web.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Let me 2nd the recommendation for the Dreamcast + VGA. The graphics are jaw-dropping, especially for the price.

Since this is the budget forum, DC should be preferred over XBox. Let's look at price:

DC:

Console $50-$75

Games $3 to $20, with most about $10-12.

VGA box $15

Controllers $14.99 and down

Memory card $10

Light gun $15

And the graphics are better than PS2. Not better than xbox, but we're talking 1/5th the price.

The xbox is a great machine and I would love to have one. But given that I have so little time to play games, the DC has been perfect for me.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The software library for DC is also extensive... lots of great driving games (Ferrari F350, Sega Rally, Vanishing Point...) fantastic sports games (all the 2K2 stuff is on DC) great fighting games (Virtua Fight, DOA), platformers (Sonic, Sonic2, Shenmue) .

Some of the latest and greatest software for PS2 doesn't surpass the couple year old DC games.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is the American version of the news release for those who had difficulty understanding the Canadian one with all the funny money references.

-----------------------------------

Microsoft cuts Xbox price in US, Canada, and Japan to match competitors.

Microsoft officially announced a price cut for the Xbox this morning, confirming analyst and industry speculation. The console will now retail for $199 in the United States, down from $299, and it will retail for $299 Canadian in Canada, down from $459.99 Canadian, effective immediately. In addition, the company announced that it will also cut the price of the Xbox in Japan from 34,800 yen to 24,800 yen, effective May 22. At present, there are no plans to reduce prices on accessories or software. This week's announcement will be followed up with a TV campaign and the unveiling of the company's online plans for the Xbox at E3.

The price cut had been in the works for several weeks, according to David Hufford, Xbox product manager at Microsoft. Microsoft has been working with US retailers over the last several weeks to orchestrate the price reduction and put it into effect as smoothly as possible. Following Sony's announcement of a price cut for its PlayStation 2 console, Microsoft decided to follow suit rather than wait to announce the cut next week at E3.

"We want to make the Xbox more accessible to more people," Hufford said. "That's why we're dropping the price. $199 is the sweet spot for a lot of gamers. It's about making it more accessible to more people. We're all at a 199 bucks, so now it comes down to value. You've got a lightweight, a middleweight, and a heavyweight in the ring right now--with the little guy being Nintendo. Their online announcement could not have been more feeble. It's a cop-out to just announce a component and a game. If you're taking online seriously, you need to enter with a little more force than that. Approaching online from a service standpoint--that's the way gamers want online delivered to them. Microsoft understands that. I think Sony is obviously the middleweight. They've got more power than the little guy. They've announced some games but don't seem to have a clear direction yet. I'd certainly put us in a strong position going forward. We'll be packing some serious heat moving forward, with some great games you'll hear about at E3."

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Consoles are great. However, with a projector I prefer the PC hooked up to it and it beats any console out there, especially if you like first person shooters. As far as sports games go I think both the xbox and PS2 are very similar.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul_Seng
Consoles are great. However, with a projector I prefer the PC hooked up to it and it beats any console out there, especially if you like first person shooters.
Occasionally I have friends over to play deathmatch Unreal Tournament on the dreamcast thru VGA to my LT150. We can get up to 4 players via split-screen. I just hand them the controllers and away we go.

You can't do that on 1 PC. I've played deathmatch UT on the PC at work, and it's awesome, but just not workable at home unless you plan to set up 4 PC's for your friends when they come over. Or have them bring their PC's, wire up a lan, etc - you get the picture.

Both PC's and consoles have their places.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.