Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
241 Posts
How much are you willing to bet?

------------------

The opinions expressed here are those of the poster (me) and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer or its partners.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The guy I talked to at Electronics Boutique was ADAMENT that is did progressive out DVD. Xbox.com says that is doesn't. I'm torn. The thing is, they would have to make the Xbox NOT do it, because the technology is right there.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I just heard back from Ed. That statement was taken out of context. In a much larger statement, Ed stated what they quoted - which is that XBox has progressive capability - which it does - games will support that. But he never said and indeed the quote does not state that there is progessive DVD playback. Gamespot took that part of his statement and placed it next to a question about DVD playback. But if you watch the video of the interview, you will notice that this question/answer is mysteriously not there - because it never happened.

So what does this mean for everyone? It means that games are going to look amazing on high end TV displays. It also means that DVD playback won't be progressive but it still promises to be rather excellent quality based on the chipsets employed in the XBox.

------------------

The opinions expressed here are those of the poster (me) and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer or its partners.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I too am intrigued by the X-Box. But the kids want the Gamecube. I already use a HTPC for movies and games. I really am worried about burn-in with games on my HDTV. Now for the info related to the thread. Why does the Xbox ad in Compusa for a $519 Xbox plus essentials include: Xbox progressive scan DVD playback kit? I doubt they would have this big of a mistake published given folks have been debating progressive playback of DVDs for over six weeks that I know of. I bet someone from Microsoft verified the detail before CompUSA put this ad out.

Looks like they need to fix the advertising for the X-Box.

------------------

RJW

[This message has been edited by wezar (edited 09-19-2001).]

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Anyone who doubts RobbyD needs to read this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/016057.html

He works for Microsoft. "I'm the program manager at Microsoft for DirectPlay (the networking technology that ships with DirectX to enable online multiplayer gaming)."

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The thing is, he works as part of Directplay, not the hardware team. I work in a brick company in IT, does that mean Im an expert on bricks because of my vicinity to the plant? I think not.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Ok, I'll take a shot at this.

I have no idea if xbox will or will not enable progressive scan playback of dvd-v. But...

If I were microsoft, I would NOT enable it. Why? Because of everybody on these boards. I'm serious. A lot of people are asking about this. And if their goal was simply to sell x-box boxes, well, then they should enable it. If they lose money on every x-box they sell then they should adjust their goal to "sell a lot of x-boxes to people who will buy a lot of games." Most 16-24 year olds do not have tv's with component inputs and 20K home theaters. Yes, I know. I'm over 30 and have an HDTV and will buy an xbox AND I will buy games. But they lose money on the hardware, and will likely by supply constrained for several months. So give the gamers a game machine. Period.

Next. Haven't heard from msft on this one either way, huh? Well, let's use some logic. Either prog scan is enabled or it isn't. If it is you WOULD hear about it. It would be a selling point. If it is NOT enabled, you would NOT hear about it. Not a good business plan to hype what you can't do. So the fact that they aren't talking it up satisfies both sides of the argument. It will not be enabled. Still just speculation, but that's my take.

If msft were smart (and they are), you would buy one dvd kit to activate dvd, and then, in a few months, they would announce a new kit that would allow dvd to be played AND enable the prog scan (getting a lot of people to pay twice for the dvd kit).

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Yes,it would make a lot of sense to release a separate dvd package for non-interlaced playback.At least from M$' perspective.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
This kind of strategy works great in a market where you have a monopoly, as Microsoft has proven beyond any doubt.

But, in a market where you are the new guy, and need to entice people to join your camp, you need to provide some obvious benefits to get people to make the jump.

I already have a PS2, and a Dreamcast. I was planning on buying an X-Box once I could get one without the bundle. But, without the immediate benefit of progressive DVD, I have no reason to buy the X-Box until the software library for it is built up and surpasses the PS2. If past consoles are any indication, this will take at least a year - if the product is successful.

I believe the initial reports on this. I think that MS wanted to release the progressive DVD software, but they were told their DVD license didn't allow for it. I still hope that they will overcome this, and have two DVD options. One for interlaced and one for progressive. The progessive might cost $5 to $15 more.

Quote:
Originally posted by jefflins:

If msft were smart (and they are), you would buy one dvd kit to activate dvd, and then, in a few months, they would announce a new kit that would allow dvd to be played AND enable the prog scan (getting a lot of people to pay twice for the dvd kit).

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I'd like to point out that the ability for XBox to display progressive output for games (computer programs) that are loaded from DVDROM media is lot different than being able to read a DVD-video title and convert it to progressive on the fly. Really, truly, a lot different.

It's real easy for me to imagine the "games can display in progressive mode" ability being taken out of context and resulting in a "progressive DVD playback" rumour. I wouldn't place too much faith in progressive DVD playback until it can be positively verified.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Sean-

At one point the DVD kit stated that it did progressive DVD.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by policy:

The thing is, he works as part of Directplay, not the hardware team. I work in a brick company in IT, does that mean Im an expert on bricks because of my vicinity to the plant? I think not.
I understand your what you are trying to say, but consider this: He is working on the XBox product, he has access to inside information and others that know what is going on with the hardware, and he publicly is making statements about specific things. Why not believe him? Do you have any reason to believe he is blowing smoke at us?

You may not be aware that at AVS, we are unusually fortunate to have many industry insiders provide us with information not available anywhere else. One of my rolls as moderator is to encourage this type of information and hope others will feel comfortable participating, too.

One thing is for certain, we'll know one way or the other in a few weeks. And either he will have been proven right, or his creditability will be shot. We shall see.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Ken-

The reason that I tend to disbelieve him is because EVERYTHING points to the Xbox having progressive scan DVD as well as Progressive scan games. Im not doubting that he might know, but perhaps he has been instructed to tell us differently? (Not that this small forum would have a HUGE affect on sales [Not that we are so small, but in the LARGE sense])

Matt

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Robby-How sure are you about this? Would you bet your HT on it? Your mothers life? I for one haven't seen ANYTHING in print from Microsoft that states EITHER so I wouldn't be willing to put anything on it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Progressive scan DVD or not, I will buy one for the games. I think a lot of people are losing sight of what the X-Box is intended for, which are games. If I want to watch a DVD movie I will use my standalone player.

And yes, I belive the X-Box "hardware" will support progressive playback for DVDs, but the software included will not.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I would agree with this, if the X-Box was a proprietary design based on some embedded system.

But, it's widely known that the X-Box is a slightly tweaked, general purpose PC, with off the shelf hardware, in a different package. It runs a scaled down version of Windows 2000. Other than the nForce chipset, it is the same thing as my HTPC, just in a sleaker case.

The only way it could not support progressive DVD's is if they intentionally try to limit it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean Nelson:
I'd like to point out that the ability for XBox to display progressive output for games (computer programs) that are loaded from DVDROM media is lot different than being able to read a DVD-video title and convert it to progressive on the fly. Really, truly, a lot different.

It's real easy for me to imagine the "games can display in progressive mode" ability being taken out of context and resulting in a "progressive DVD playback" rumour. I wouldn't place too much faith in progressive DVD playback until it can be positively verified.

[This message has been edited by tji (edited 09-20-2001).]

·
Registered
2,082 Posts

Quote:
The only way it could not support progressive DVD's is if they intentionally try to limit it.
Which is exactly what they are saying will be done.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If it only outputs DVD at 480i, 960i, and 1080i, then it will be correct to say that it does not do progressive DVD.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator, DirecTV + 128 hour SVR-2000 TiVo

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile
It's not HD. It's HBO.
s>

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.