AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Ive been playing xbox on my plasma for about 2 years then a week ago i lost the picture, i took it to my local repair man who told me it had screen burn and there was no way of repairing it. so i replaced it, I have since been told that xbox does not screen burn, now i have never heard of screen burn anyway so i took the repair man on his word, does the xbox cause screen burn or not?

charlene

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie222 /forum/post/15437267

Hi all

Ive been playing xbox on my plasma for about 2 years then a week ago i lost the picture, i took it to my local repair man who told me it had screen burn and there was no way of repairing it. so i replaced it, I have since been told that xbox does not screen burn, now i have never heard of screen burn anyway so i took the repair man on his word, does the xbox cause screen burn or not?

charlene

its not the xbox 360 . any still image will cause image retention and sometimes burn in on plasma tv´s plasmas any not recommended for gaming for long periods of time

·
Registered
715 Posts
i wonder if people have experienced burn in on those super expensive pioneer kuros

·
Registered
225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth /forum/post/15437496

i wonder if people have experienced burn in on those super expensive pioneer kuros

No burn in, not even retention

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
To the OP,you say that the TV "lost the picture" which the repairman attributed to screen burn?!?!? Yeah, that doesn't sound right at all. Screen burn does NOT cause lack of picture, and if it had burn-in, you'd have noticed it. Sounds to me like the repairman fed you a line of BS based on what you wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos1965 /forum/post/15437354

its not the xbox 360 . any still image will cause image retention and sometimes burn in on plasma tv´s plasmas any not recommended for gaming for long periods of time

Well, that's not entirely true, even though people frequently still think burn-in is a problem. Mostly all new plasmas made in the last few years have things in place to prevent burn in. Pixel shifting and all that. Plasma is fine for gaming nowadays, but the OP doesn't say how old his plasma is or which model it is.

Do some research. A quick google found this CNET article, but there's lots more (you have to pay attention to the article date since burn-in actually used to be an issue, so there's some old info still out there)
Quote:
5. Will playing video games on a plasma lead to burn-in?

You might have heard somewhere along the line that playing video games on a plasma can lead to burn-in. The idea is that if some sort of fixed icon is always on the screen during a game, that image will end up ghosted onto your screen forever. Again, this just isn't a real risk these days, particularly if you follow the first 100-hours rule and mix a little TV watching in with your gaming.

There was an article someplace where they left a videogame on pause for 48 hours and it didn't cause burn in (retention, yes...burn in, no). I'll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

Quote:
To the OP,you say that the TV "lost the picture" which the repairman attributed to screen burn?!?!? Yeah, that doesn't sound right at all. Screen burn does NOT cause lack of picture, and if it had burn-in, you'd have noticed it. Sounds to me like the repairman fed you a line of BS based on what you wrote.

I thought the same thing reading that...

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
and there's a HUGE difference between burn-in and image retention. basically, it sounds like your "local repair man" scammed you, but you should have done a little research before you replaced the set. it would have taken you less than 5 minutes to gain enough knowledge in these forums to find out whether your set suffered from burn-in or not...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.