AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Looks like MS is forcing Sony's hand with the free upgrades. With CDPR committing to it as well, it will be interesting to see if other developers do the same.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
I'm curious about the difference between game software on Xbox One X and Series X in this Smart Delivery system. Is it the same download across the platforms, but the software is aware which system it's installed on and unlocks features and higher framerate for the Series X? Or does the Series X automatically download a completely different version of the game? My guess is it's the former -- sort of like how the Xbox One X can unlock enhancements for that model over a non-X model.

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
I'm curious about the difference between game software on Xbox One X and Series X in this Smart Delivery system. Is it the same download across the platforms, but the software is aware which system it's installed on and unlocks features and higher framerate for the Series X? Or does the Series X automatically download a completely different version of the game? My guess is it's the former -- sort of like how the Xbox One X can unlock enhancements for that model over a non-X model.
It should mostly be like today. You know how your able to see which games are XBOX ONE X enhanced and games like Shadow of Mordor requires a download for 4K and texture package

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
It should mostly be like today. You know how your able to see which games are XBOX ONE X enhanced and games like Shadow of Mordor requires a download for 4K and texture package
I agree with this. Plus I think the updates will do more than visual upgrades

Reactions: mboojigga

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Pretty much. It just let's you know that if you get now on MS side you will not need to double Dip for the better version after the next console come out. Don't have stayed what their intentions are yet. They seem to prefer to do Remasters for their games and charge another go for them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
12TF RDNA2. RDNA is around 1.25x performance increase over GCN. So that's 15TF GCN. Impressive.
Full specs released today:

12 Teraflops

Custom RDNA 2 & Zen 2 Processor

Variable Rate Shading

Hardware Accelerated DirectX Raytracing

Custom SSD

Quick Resume Multiple Games

Dynamic Latency Input

HDMI 2.1

Auto Low Latency

Variable Refresh Rate

120 FPS Support

It's also confirmed that first party games will be cross-buy, meaning if you buy it for Xbox One, you won't have to buy it again for Series X. This will be true for third party games as well at the dev's discretion, and Cyberpunk 2077 is already confirmed for this.

Reactions: Sorax

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
Ok, so all software that includes enhancements for the Series X will get an automatic upgrade when that system is released, and this Cyberpunk 2077 announcement is that game's marketing department saying "don't wait to buy our game until the new console is released".
Makes sense. The Xbox One X enhancements are free, i don't see why this should be any different.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The "Smart Delivery System" isn't really new, it's pretty much how the Xbox One X Enhanced program works. Not sure if anybody noticed this or not, but just about all games that run on the Unreal Engine are Xbox One X Enhanced. Console is getting so close to being a PC, not there yet but the One X was pretty much the testing waters for the upcoming Xbox. Both for seeing is people wanted that extra power and the whole Enhanced system. On console, every engine has similar settings that PC has on the fly, but on console we get what the devs set it to. Some do give us an option, like performance or visuals but we can't do anything else. With this Smart Delivery System, it'll function just like the Enhanced system. The game/software will recognize what sku it is on, and adjust to the settings the dev set for said sku. On the Xbox One X, the main thing that got boosted besides resolution, was foliage. That was one point they were selling that even if you were playing on a 1080p display, an Enhanced game would look better, and it did because of the increased foliage.

I attached a picture to give an example of how foliage completely changes a game.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Makes sense. The Xbox One X enhancements are free, i don't see why this should be any different.
The X was a mid gen refresh. Series X is a whole new generation. E are just at a point where the architecture is staying the same but way more powerful. Finally going the PC route.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Can we move games on a HDD from the Series X to an Xbox One X without re-downloading?
Mmm that will be interesting. I would think the series X games might have more features and X may not be up to running straight up without having to patch downward?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Can we move games on a HDD from the Series X to an Xbox One X without re-downloading?
To me the bigger question is if cross generational play will be available with the newer games. For example, will multiplayer, co-op campaign, etc be compatible between the One and SeX (for Halo Infinite as an example) and similarly if I buy the next generation version of the game can I play it on the One as well (we know we can play One games on Series X, but how about the other way around)?

I have 3 kids, multiple Xbox's and we 'game share' when possible. I still need 2 copies of a game to play on 4 consoles, but there is no chance I am buying 4 new consoles. I will get the new console for me, one of the kids will get my Scorpio and the other will get the GoW 5 limited edition X I just bought (I could not help myself, as all the Xbox One X console bundles have been discounted $200 starting last week and this console is almost a piece of art).

Hopefully things will get spelled out, but MS needs to make sure they don't goof this part up and allow backwards cross generational play when someone buys the Series X version of the game.

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
I am pretty sure than answer is yes, because all games are backwards compatible. There maybe a patch to allow for SeX enhancements, like the patches that are available for Xbone X for certain games. What I do not know the answer to is if a hard drive can be moved back and forth between generations after updated.

To me the bigger question is if cross generational play will be available with the newer games. For example, will multiplayer, co-op campaign, etc be compatible between the One and SeX (for Halo Infinite as an example) and similarly if I buy the next generation version of the game can I play it on the One as well (we know we can play One games on Series X, but how about the other way around)?

I have 3 kids, multiple Xbox's and we 'game share' when possible. I still need 2 copies of a game to play on 4 consoles, but there is no chance I am buying 4 new consoles. I will get the new console for me, one of the kids will get my Scorpio and the other will get the GoW 5 limited edition X I just bought (I could not help myself, as all the Xbox One X console bundles have been discounted $200 starting last week and this console is almost a piece of art).

Hopefully things will get spelled out, but MS needs to make sure they don't goof this part up and allow backwards cross generational play when someone buys the Series X version of the game.

My understanding is there won't be a "next generation" version of a game. If you buy a modern Xbox game, it will play on Xbox One, S, X, and Series X, albeit at different resolutions, framerate, with possible fidelity and feature enhancement differences.

But yes, MS needs to make this clear, and emphasize it if this understanding is correct.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I wish Microsoft would drop the "same game for all platforms" thinking.

Maybe not at launch or in year 1 of the new console, but farther into the future this will only hold back developers from making their games as good as they could be for the Series X.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
My understanding is there won't be a "next generation" version of a game. If you buy a modern Xbox game, it will play on Xbox One, S, X, and Series X, albeit at different resolutions, framerate, with possible fidelity and feature enhancement differences.

But yes, MS needs to make this clear, and emphasize it if this understanding is correct.
I think what Matt Booty from MS said was that all 1st party titles will have full cross generational, cross platform compatibility for 2 years (interesting that they said 2 years, and it still does not mean cross generational play but I think that is assumed). I think with digital games, there should be no problem, but what does one do if you buy a physical copy? I think currently play anywhere digital games are cross platform compatible, but I don't think the physical copies are. What will 3rd party developers do? What has confused me is when the developers for Cyberpunk says buy the game for the One and you will get a 'free upgrade' to the SeX. Why say 'free upgrade'?

Other than techies, it would be a hard sell to buy the new console over the X (especially with the recent price drop), if all games will be cross generation play especially since most people do not have high end 4K HDR freesync gaming monitors to appreciate the potential differences. I am a little worried that 3rd party developers will make separate SKU's for the different generations that are not compatible.

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
I think what Matt Booty from MS said was that all 1st party titles will have full cross generational, cross platform compatibility for 2 years (interesting that they said 2 years, and it still does not mean cross generational play but I think that is assumed). I think with digital games, there should be no problem, but what does one do if you buy a physical copy?...

Ok, then there does seem to be some confusion. My understanding was this fictional scenario: I buy next year's Borderlands 4 (fictional title) for Xbox, it would play fine on Xbox One X at variable resolution and framerate, and also upgraded (ray-tracing, locked 60fps, 4K, better textures, positional audio) on Series X. Same game, different machines. Kinda like buying the same game for a PC, and it plays fine on video cards from 5 years ago, but modern GPUs can really crank the video options, resolution, and framerate.

But, maybe I'm wrong and that's just wishful dreaming.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
But, maybe I'm wrong and that's just wishful dreaming.
You're not wrong. The caveat being Borderlands isn't a 1st party title, so it would be up to the publisher. I think it's likely the majority of Series X upgrades from 3rd parties will be at no cost. And there's already momentum for this with CDPR coming out and confirming this is how it'll work with Cyberpunk 2077 via twitter.

61 - 80 of 262 Posts