AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
its funny.

all you guys criticizing MS for the lack thereof today.

you think they’re just gonna lay down and put their legs in the air for consumers, and say “have at it guys!”?they’re not gonna show their cards until they think they can get an leg up on the competition.

the gaming industry has been doing this same song and dance since i was back in high school in the late 80’s/early 90’s. it’s called hype. they’re gonna give everyone a little (very little) taste here and there to build up the hype.

everyone should be used to this by now.

dont set your expectations high and you all wont be disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perhaps....but they sure as hell should not have labeled it a "..gameplay" event. And it did nothing to show off the Series X. Setting expectations low is one thing....not meeting the intent of the event whatsoever is another.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Don't get me wrong, a handful of the titles they showed looked incredible and I can't wait to play them. I really need to hit hard on my back log...

These consoles are based off of DirectX (Xbox = DirectX box), the same tech that is on a Windows PC. DirectX does an great job at scaling graphics according to the hardware that is available to it. It's how, a Xbox Series X game will be playable fully (and still look really good) on a Day one Xbox One. Or a PC with a mid PC and video card, will be able to play the same game as the $5000 high end PC and look really good, maybe not as good as the high end PC but still very playable and with a decent framerate.

The question is, with the Xbox One X giving 4K and HDR (and looks epic on some games), is it going to be THAT much better to spend another $500 on a console and $200+ for 1tb high speed storage ?

Odds are I will be getting one but, I wondering how much BETTER (real world) is going to be over the current flagship....

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Game play from The Ascent. It is the IGN First game of the month so there will be more information to come.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Don't get me wrong, a handful of the titles they showed looked incredible and I can't wait to play them. I really need to hit hard on my back log...

These consoles are based off of DirectX (Xbox = DirectX box), the same tech that is on a Windows PC. DirectX does an great job at scaling graphics according to the hardware that is available to it. It's how, a Xbox Series X game will be playable fully (and still look really good) on a Day one Xbox One. Or a PC with a mid PC and video card, will be able to play the same game as the $5000 high end PC and look really good, maybe not as good as the high end PC but still very playable and with a decent framerate.

The question is, with the Xbox One X giving 4K and HDR (and looks epic on some games), is it going to be THAT much better to spend another $500 on a console and $200+ for 1tb high speed storage ?

Odds are I will be getting one but, I wondering how much BETTER (real world) is going to be over the current flagship....
You don't have to spend anything for more storage if you don't want.

The Series X is a lot more powerful than the Xbox One X. The GPU is based on AMD's RDNA 2 and it gives around 50% performance per watt over Xbox One's GCN architecture. So a 12 Teraflops RDNA 2 GPU is roughly around 18 Teraflops GCN. Xbox One X GPU is 6 Teraflops GCN.

The CPU is much better than the sad Jaguar cores in current consoles; and Series X has more, faster RAM, and a fast SSD. The SSD allows 2.4GB/s raw throughput. Compared to Xbox One X's 120MB/s. That's an insane IO improvement that will help load times and asset streaming among other improvements.

The cross gen games should have no problems running at higher resolutions and/or framerates on Series X. Ray-tracing on Series X games could drop resolutions/framerates since it is a resource hog. Even with Series X's hardware-accelerated ray-tracing.

I'm honestly hoping for more 60fps games. Since buying an 82" TV last year, 30fps games look rougher than on my old smaller 55".

Scorn being 4K60 is great news and Dirt 5 having a 120fps mode is nice since my TV can do 1440p120.

·
Registered
942 Posts

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Microsoft's Jason Ronald talking about backward compatibility for Xbox Series X

Backwards compatible games run natively on the Xbox Series X hardware, running with the full power of the CPU, GPU and the SSD,” Ronald said in a blog post published on Xbox Wire. “No boost mode, no down clocking, the full power of the Xbox Series X for each and every backward compatible game. This means that all titles run at the peak performance that they were originally designed for, many times even higher performance than the games saw on their original launch platform, resulting in higher and more steady framerates and rendering at their maximum resolution and visual quality. Backwards compatible titles also see significant reductions in in-game load times from the massive leap in performance from our custom NVME SSD which powers the Xbox Velocity Architecture.”

Microsoft offered similar performance upgrades for Xbox 360 titles on Xbox One X, the company’s mid-generation update to Xbox One. Select Xbox 360 games can run at 4K resolution and enhanced color depth on Xbox One X. But it appears that Microsoft is taking backward compatibility support to a new level with Xbox Series X, which is due this holiday season.

“The team developed new platform level capabilities to ensure all of your games continue to get even better,” Ronald said. “In partnership with the Xbox Advanced Technology Group, Xbox Series X delivers a new, innovative HDR reconstruction technique which enables the platform to automatically add HDR support to games. As this technique is handled by the platform itself, it allows us to enable HDR with zero impact to the game’s performance and we can also apply it to Xbox 360 and original Xbox titles developed almost 20 years ago, well before the existence of HDR.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/5/28/21272522/xbox-series-x-backward-compatibility-hdr-120-fps

·
Registered
727 Posts
Back compatibility on Series X is looking good! But I'm not expecting much of an upgrade from adding HDR to older SDR games -- the TV's HDR banner will light up, but a noticeable change beyond that...? I dunno.
Some older SDR games may obviously look better than others with HDR enabled, but the machine-learning algorithm is based on Gears 5's HDR implementation and it sounds amazing. Digital Foundry showed Halo 5 displaying 1000 nits, and they claimed the almost 20 year old game Fusion Frenzy looked great in HDR. I suspect peak brightness highlights and improved contrast that HDR brings will be noticeable, but a lot of games probably won't support Wide Color Gamut. Especially OG Xbox and Xbox 360 games.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
If anything it will give the games a nice freshen up and and make them pretty fun to play again. At least you will not have to buy them again! Hell I have few old Xbox games in just hoping I can put into to series X and install. One is outlaw tennis and the other is crimson skies.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Alright, time time to speculate release date and price. What are your guesses or theories?

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Alright, time time to speculate release date and price. What are your guesses or theories?

Release date tomorrow, price $400 “mic drop”

Reactions: Arutha_conDoin

·
Registered
727 Posts

End of November. $500 for Series X, $250-$300 for Series S (Lockhart).

A lot probably comes down to Lockhart's price and release, and Sony's pricing of PS5.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I'd love to see see late September early October Series X launch with a price at $450.
Lockhart comes out in November at $299

Reactions: DaverJ

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
The price of the Xbox One X will remain at $299. For the vast majority of people that is still all they will need as more than likely most people don't even have a display device capable of matching the SeX.

The Series X will be $499, and that is extremely optimistic and assuming that Sony and MS will be in a price war. The Xbox One X launched 2.5 years ago for $499. More ram, better GPU, better CPU, 8K capable, probably will have Dolby/DTS certification, etc etc. no way it costs less than what the X cost. If there are supply chain issues and greater demand than supply, it easily could be $599.

There was an article when the X launched that MS was not looking to make money on the console, they just wanted to break even. So if the X cost ~$499 to build 2.5 years ago, more than likely the new consoles would cost even more to build. Heck the custom GPU in itself probably costs $250 and a 1TB SSD is $100 (bulk buying because there is no where you can find any 1TB SSD for

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
The price of the Xbox One X will remain at $299. For the vast majority of people that is still all they will need as more than likely most people don't even have a display device capable of matching the SeX.

The Series X will be $499, and that is extremely optimistic and assuming that Sony and MS will be in a price war. The Xbox One X launched 2.5 years ago for $499. More ram, better GPU, better CPU, 8K capable, probably will have Dolby/DTS certification, etc etc. no way it costs less than what the X cost. If there are supply chain issues and greater demand than supply, it easily could be $599.

There was an article when the X launched that MS was not looking to make money on the console, they just wanted to break even. So if the X cost ~$499 to build 2.5 years ago, more than likely the new consoles would cost even more to build. Heck the custom GPU in itself probably costs $250 and a 1TB SSD is $100 (bulk buying because there is no where you can find any 1TB SSD for

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #160 (Edited)
An update how Xbox Smart Delivery works plus the confirmed list so far.

One of the most exciting of the technologies we’re introducing with Xbox Series X is Smart Delivery, which will ensure that you always play the best version of the games you own for your console, across generations. This technology is available for all developers, and all Xbox Game Studios titles that are Optimized for Xbox Series X, including Halo Infinite, will support Smart Delivery.

But what does that mean for you, the player? Well, it means that if you purchase the Xbox One version of a supported title, we will deliver the best version of it to your Xbox One, as usual. If you decide to jump into the next generation with Xbox Series X, we will automatically provide the Xbox Series X version of the game at no additional cost when it becomes available. You won’t need to do anything in terms of choosing a version to download. We’ll take care of all of that. And it’s not just limited to games that you purchase digitally; physical discs of Xbox games can also support Smart Delivery if the developer or publisher decides to implement it.

Halo Infinite
Cyberpunk 2077
Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
Destiny 2
DiRT 5
Scarlet Nexus
Chorus
Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2
Yakuza: Like a Dragon
The Ascent
Call of the Sea
Gears 5