AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a new Xbox 360 slim on the way to give my son as an Christmas gift. Do most of you guys just plug the system directly into your HDTV, and use the TV speakers? Or should I plug it into my receiver first and use the home theater surround speakers? I see it does 16-bit / Surround Sound is why I ask. Just wondering how good of quality the sound is coming out of the console.

Also, is it ok to house the console in a cabinet?

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keizer
Hey guys, I have a new Xbox 360 slim on the way to give my son as an Christmas gift. Do most of you guys just plug the system directly into your HDTV, and use the TV speakers? Or should I plug it into my receiver first and use the home theater surround speakers? I see it does 16-bit / Surround Sound is why I ask. Just wondering how good of quality the sound is coming out of the console.

Well it is AVS
, I would venture to guess most hook it up to their home theater if they can.

Its sounds as good as your other equipment makes it. As good as Dolby digital can sound I suppose, and dependent on the game.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
My TV doesn't have speakers. The Xbox gets connected directly to my receiver. I think it sounds pretty good (depending on the game, of course)

The Slim should be fine in a cabinet. Just make sure that you keep the door open when you're playing it.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keizer /forum/post/19637652

So the HDMI out to the receiver will give me 5.1 surround?

unless your receiver is HDMI passthrough only... i found that out the hard way with my cheap Onkyo receiver.

in that situation, the only way to get 5.1 surround is via optical cable.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keizer /forum/post/19637294

I have mine in a cabinet and it gets really hot in there. But I have the first edition so I dunno if that makes alot of difference? But I hook a small 3-4" Usb fan in there. Forget the actual size. And when I play the door stays open. ll the hot air blows out. I wouldn't run it without a fan. It getts super hot. Mine anyways

·
Registered
1,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime /forum/post/19638377

yeah, there's a world of difference between a first gen 360 and the latest one...

New ones don't get hot? I've had 3 rings of death twice. But after the warranty was up. I just fixed it myself. Works good still. I like the new Black 250g but it really won't give me anything new?? Not faster or performers better? Just hdmi and smaller power source?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmike86 /forum/post/19638830

New ones don't get hot? I've had 3 rings of death twice. But after the warranty was up. I just fixed it myself. Works good still. I like the new Black 250g but it really won't give me anything new?? Not faster or performers better? Just hdmi and smaller power source?

Yes, along with built in Wifi and the kinect port. Also they have an optical audio port right on the box, which is Le Awesome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts