1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've been thinking about this as well. My HDTV only has one set of component inputs and they are used by my DVD player. How could I hook up the X-Box and still view in HD?

------------------
RCA F38310

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The XBOX has a DVD (progressive output) too!

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
OK, so where do we get the 3rd component input? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif Most of us will have a DVD player & another device via component, like a DISH 6000.

Looks like TV manufacturers will need to make 3 component inputs the minimum on future HDTV's.

------------------
www.deceptions.net

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have posted this a couple of times already in this forum and on other forums. But I should tell you Xbox will not support progressive scan DVD movie playback. I it will support progressive scan games though.

Maynerd

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
maynerd, where are you getting this information?

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I use a mechanical A/B switch from Radio Shack and there has been no loss in PQ viewing DVDs and HDTV material. The switch is $15 from Radio Shack.

Someone else on another board told me about it and it works well for me.

------------------

Eram

·
Registered
484 Posts
taron1 - I have a reliable source with intimate contact with the device.

Take a look at the information out there, you won't find a single statement, directly from Microsoft, stating that this functionality is available.

Maynerd

·
Registered
320 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm sorry but that proves nothing and it is not a statement directly from Microsoft. The two other xbox links say nothing about DVD playback with Progressive scan. As I have told you before it will support those resolutions for Gaming but not dvd playback.

Xbox will NOT support progressive scan dvd movie playback.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I just read this message posted by Dan W. on another site:

The developers are hoping that is not the reason why you buy the Xbox, even though it is a valid one. As written in the Xbox faq at www.msxbox.com, here is what they say about the DVD capabilities: (read especially the "More Games" section)

Does the Xbox use a CD or DVD drive?

DVD.

Will Xbox play DVD movies?

The Xbox has a DVD drive, but the drive will not be able to play DVD movies without a remote control/IR port connector.

Why didn't Microsoft choose to build DVD playback into every Xbox??

It's About Choice

People who are looking to buy an Xbox will not be forced into buying a game console with an added feature that they may not need or want. Many households already have several DVD players to go along with their VCRs, so they may rather pay for a lower costing, streamlined Xbox gaming console. Gamers who do not initially wish to have DVD support are free to change their minds at any later date by simply buying an Xbox DVD expansion kit in the future.

Reduced Cost

Consumers don't want to pay for something they don't want, even if it seems to be a "free" added bonus. The truth of the matter is that if the Xbox had DVD playback capabilities included, the cost of manufacturing the console will be higher, and as a result, the retail price for consumers will be higher than it would be if the DVD add-on was sold separately. For example, if Microsoft was originally aiming for a $299 price point for the Xbox, they could now potentially end up with a suggested price of $249 instead.

Better DVD Player

If the DVD playback was included in the console, the chances were good that there would not be a remote control included because of the costs. So, most people who utilized the DVD player often would end up coughing up an upward of $20 for a remote control anyway. With the add-on, the Xbox has comparable playback to that of a high end DVD player.

More Games

Game developers will have more confidence in the potential amount of sales their titles will have on the Xbox because they won't have to worry that a portion of the Xbox install base will be spending their entertainment money on DVD movies rather than games (a problem many PS2 developers are facing). In other words, game makers won't have to worry about another "competitor" in the market, allowing them to make more games because they are confident and potentially making more money per game. Secondly, because the Xbox will be cheaper to manufacture and sell for a lower price in the market, there could be more purchasers of the console than if it was priced higher. The larger the customer install base of a console, the more willing publishers are to release games for it since it will yield a greater return.

What is progressive scan?

Taken from "[1.40] What's a progressive scan DVD player?" in the DVD FAQ

(full credit to DVD FAQ author, Jim Taylor)

"A progressive-scan DVD player converts the interlaced (480i) video from DVD into progressive (480p) format for connection to a progressive display (31.5 kHz or higher). [...] Progressive players work with all standard DVD titles, but look best with film source. The result is a significant increase in perceivable vertical resolution, for a more detailed and film-like picture."

Does the Xbox support progressive scan?

Yes. This is a bargain, considering most progressive-scan DVD players cost nearly twice as much as the Xbox!

As for the specifics on the DVD:

DVD Hardware & Video Compression Technology:

Thomson Multimedia

DVD Decoder & Playback Software:

Ravisent Technologies

DVD Design & Supplier:

Phillips Components

Looks interesting eh? The graphics on this Xbox are astounding as well. Check out the game images at the bottom of this review (hit on the ones that say hi res) http://xbox.ign.com/previews/16249.html

This seems to contradict Maynerd.

Steve Holtam

·
Registered
484 Posts
SteveHoltam - good post, but this still is not an official statement from Microsoft. Keep looking. You won't find one because it does not exist. Xbox will output progressive scan for Games but NOT DVD movies. I really wish it wasn't true but unfortunately it is.

Maynerd

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I'm sorry but you seem to be on some kick about this. It woudl be silling for microsoft to not include Prog dvd play back since all the necasary hardware and software is there. Also even if Microsoft hasnt directly stated that the fact that many sepearte websites have would indicate to me that it will support it. your one source that disagrees is no expert either and it not microsoft itself either so by your reasoning it is no more reliable. Even if it didnt come with build in support for progressive scan dvd playback it would be easy to add at some point since it supports it in games and i am sure some games will play back mpeg2 video similar to dvd's.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Quote:

Even if it didnt come with build in support for progressive scan dvd playback it would be easy to add at some point since it supports it in games and i am sure some games will play back mpeg2 video similar to dvd's.
The ability to produce graphics in 480p and the ability to de-interlace video are totally unrelated.

Maynerd has a point. Until Microsoft comes out and confirms the ability of the x-box to play progressive video, we won't kow for sure.

------------------
Mario_C

My Music & Home Theater System

[This message has been edited by evilhomer! (edited 09-01-2001).]

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Tillman:
Is an A/B switch available for component cables?

Or maybe I should ask how much would a simple component video switch sell for.
Extron makes switch boxes for component cables. There are other companies that make them as well.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
dnnkb,

I was just about to pre-order a package when my brain kicked n'ta gear! The prices for the packages don't add-up!

I round up:

$500 for system($300), 1 extra controller($40), and 3 games($150). That comes to $490, what's the extra $10 for??? If it's $500 w/free shipping then it'd be ok, but I didn't see that advertised on their site.

Somebody double check my information, maybe I missed something.

JediMastr

------------------

1 - 20 of 213 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.