AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like playing games on the original xbox, PS2 and PC. I don't watch TV at all and only watch DVD movies on my Sony upconvert DVD player. I sold my Sony 32xs955 CRT TV because I wanted a larger and thinner screen. I bought and returned several LCD panels ranging from $700 to $1700...1080p included and all of them looked real bad for xbox (original) games. The jaggies were so bad, I thought I was playing a PS1 game. I have no plans on buying a xbox 360 or PS3. I would like some advise on what TV besides CRT looks good for xbox, PS2 and PC games. I was thinking of getting the Samsung or Panasonic Plasma, I'm not too worry about burn in problems and both are under $1200 here locally. The Samsung 46" slim DLP is on my radar, but it has a softer look....not sure, I need help! TIA!

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
They don't look terrible, but you're probably not going to get the results you want from most XBOX titles or the PS2. There's many XBOX games that are in 720p or 1080i, but the rest aren't and you will see the effects of scaling. Instead of buying and returning over and over, grab a system and head off to a specialty store. Hook it up to a few types to try them out. If they think you're buying, they wont have any problems helping you out.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
The problem you're dealing with is that few XBOX games implemented full screen anti-aliasing and that the scalers in most HD sets are scaling up the jaggies that CRTs low-res softened for you.

The same games, if played on 360, get automatic full-screen antialiasing, if they're compatible.

Your best bet at this point is, in fact, to see a display with that very softness that worries you about the Samsung. Take a look at a few 3LCD rear projectors, say the low-end ones from Sony. They come with a lot of SD-enhancing features, plus 3LCD naturally softens video so it serves as antialiasing for SD gaming.

Still, depending on the games you're playing, it might actually be cheaper to get a 360 and one of the LCD displays you've looked at.

Gotta remember, that's a five year old console; it did HD very well for the time but few games could afford the resources for full-screen antialiasing without compromising something else. Like frame-rate.

Sometimes, moving on requires moving on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.