AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am jumping the gun here but I am very interested to hear if anyone is interested in tweaking the Xbox.

The only reason why I considered XBox was its potential to play dvd and output higher than 480p (i.e., 540p or 1080i). Now, I understand that MS has removed progessive scan and other features from the XBox.

My question is do you guys think it's feasible to tweak the XBox to do progressive scan and ouput at 540p/1080i?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I bet in a month or so there will be a hacked DVD player that will do this. It will probably be a CD image you burn to CD. Pop that CD in, load up the DVD software then put in your DVD.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cal,

Thanks for the reply! Now, I have renewed hope for the XBox. I know the many smart folks on this forum will crack this. Shame on MS for disabling this feature.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I don't really think it will necessarily be someone on the forum. It isn't exactly legal at all, so they couldn't really be known like many people are on here.

·
Registered
16,534 Posts
From my understanding of how the X-Box dvd player functions [ via software ] and the fact that this was a real feature [ progressive dvd ] until very recently it should be cracked in no time . I would be willing to bet that M$ has not tried too hard to lock this feature away since they know that an underground source would just find a way around it anyway [ just like everything else they try to do ;) ] . Plus this could mean many extra sales for the X-Box if people are able to bypass whatever M$ had to do to be Legal [ hehe - M$ and Legal , 2 words that don't go together ] . I think Bill is a $$$ genius and that the X-Box will be a huge hit regardless of any dvd issues ! I have had my pre-order in since the first pre-order date [ only a few days left ] . Since the X-Box is basically a PC it should present many other uses [ just as the less advanced Dreamcast has done - mp3 player / vcd player / Emulators / etc. ] .

Here's to hoping !!!!

Jason Berg

Oh and my screen name/nick name is for real , so any of you feeling brave and want to get whooped [ is that a real word ? ] at some online X-box action then please send me a message , I would be happy to kick your a$$'s - muhahahaha ;)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
my question is, why would microsoft go to the effort of hiding a potentially marketable system capability that would in theory not cost them anything in hardware to implement and would possibly sell more systems? why would they hide it??

·
Registered
114 Posts
DaGamePimp,

I do not have an XBOX yet but it is the next console that I am going to buy. Anyway, I have a PS2 and a Dreamcast and my question is how are you connecting both of them to your projector? Any help would be appreciated.

_________

Tal Margalit

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
The Xbox doesn't have progressive scan due to the DVD Forum license agreement with Macrovision. As part of this agreement ALL DVD players must limit their output resolution to 720x640p for NTSC and Macrovision must be present on the analog output if the disc is encoded with it. The sticky part for Microsoft is that the component output of the Xbox is provided by a chip from Conexant which does not include the "proper" form of Macrovision on progressive output. The interlaced output is within spec. The Macrovision license allows a per device fine that is something like $100,000 for a DVD player that doesn't meet their license agreement. Even as cash rich as Microsoft is reported to be, 100K per Xbox was too much risk to take. So Microsoft made the only choice that Macrovision would allow by removing the progressive output of DVDs. Same basic thing happened with the ATI component output dongle. Long story short, blame Macrovision.

·
Registered
16,534 Posts
Tal Margalit ,

-- I connect them all thru my Receiver [ switching ] and go from my Receiver to the PJ . I have an Xbox , PS2 , GameCube , Dreamcast and PSX all connected . I have the VGA box for the Dreamcast as well but my HTPC is always hooked to the RGB input so I don't use it much anymore .

-- Best Wishes ,

-- Jason Berg

------ Man this is an old thread ... and I was right on target for what I said ... All will be known soon - they have VCD/MP3/SVCD/DivX and more to come all playing on the Xbox - Nice !

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
From the links above, it looks like someone has come up with a cost effective 480P soltion.

Being a SDI capable Video Processor owner, I would prefer an X-Box SDI

output solution. Is anyone working on that?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
XboxMediaPlayer 2.4 released
http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bi...=ST;f=1;t=4296
Code:
Code:
  • Windows Media Files WMA/WMV/ASF (inc. WMV9 via DLL's)
  • AC3 (Dolby Digital 5.1) Support (real AC3 5.1 output or down-mixed to stereo)
  • Unencrypted VOB playback (uses libmpeg2 lib) & encrypted via IFO parsing from DVD
  • De-interlace filter (for interlaced video) implemented* (NEW!)
  • HDTV 720p & 1080i support (multiple resolutions & progressive scan)
I downloaded the new version but I will need to buy an XBox somewhere.

·
Registered
16,534 Posts
bbq ,

-- if you need some help once you have the Xbox then let me know ;) . I am running version 2.4 right now :) .

-- Jason

*** ATTN. ALL : Please DO NOT PM me asking where to get XBMP [ I will not distribute it - Sorry ] . Posting this here since I have been getting many requests for this software recently ***

·
Registered
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sbkim
The only reason why I considered XBox was its potential to play dvd and output higher than 480p (i.e., 540p or 1080i).

My question is do you guys think it's feasible to tweak the XBox to do progressive scan and ouput at 540p/1080i?
There's no such thing as 540p. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Mullis
Ummmm, my TV has 540p.
Who cares what your TV has. There's no such thing as 540p in industry standards.

·
Registered
119 Posts
So does this mean you can have 1080i playback of any DVD you pop in? Also, and excuse my ignorance on the matter, I am guessing that you need to mod the box for this code and have some sort of software installed to load the code?

thanks in advance

GW

·
Registered
669 Posts
i dont think at this point xbmp supports dvd play back, however there is a patch you can apply to the dashboard to get 480p, doing this would require a mod chip.

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you have a mod chipped xbox you can get PS I'm pretty sure with one of the new bio/app updates. I think it's called the Xbox Media Player, I remember reading a new update recently saying it supported 480p/720p/1080i DVD playback. You also get region selection and macrovision off.

Most of the mod chips for xbox are 100% wireless, but make sure you buy and install an on/off switch if you still wanna use xbox live, if you try to go online with a mod chip on your xbox serial number will be banned for life, it happened to my friend. Most of the people who sell the mods also sell the switches as well.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.