Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to sound pretty dumb, but here goes:

I just got a sharp 9000 (usa), fantastic!

I purchased the Monster Xbox HD pack.

It has five component cables that are somewhat labeled, but I can't follow too well.

Anyway, I hooked all five cables in the order that they appear from left to right on my 9000. I was able to see the picture and go into the setup screen of the Xbox. At this time it registered as a component connection.

I didn't know what to do, so I changed all the settings about 480p, 720p and 1080i on. Ok so far.

Turned off the Xbox and was able to see Halo load in 480p mode.

But whenever I did anything on the screen the Sharp kept resyncing and the screen would go blank and then reappear. But, obviously something is wrong.

Am I supposed to use all the cables?

What settings should I use for the Sharp?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

- Anthony

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
On the HD pack, 3 are your normal component (y, pb, pr), two are ghetto audio patch cords. Get an optical cable to run to your Dolby Digital receiver. I'm not sure what you have those other two cords plugged into, but I'd unplug them before they make something blow up. :D If you are trying to plug the component into a 5 cord video input (I know they're out there, but I'm pretty unfamiliar with them), then you are sending audio signals to a couple of video related things and that would be bad.

For now, just activate 480p on your xbox console, just in case that has something to do with it. I doubt it, but all games are currently 480p. Supposedly Test Drive is coming out pretty quick here (6-4 listed as release date) and teh hot rumor some months back was that it was to be 1080i. I imagine the scaler on the Sharp would cope with that and downrez it to 720p.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure about it being five or three cables. But all five cables are right next to each other in a line, this is why I thought they were meant to be plugged in.

I bought the optional optical conversion kit from Monster for the audio. It get's plugged into a small jack in the Hd Kit and a breakout box sends the optical signal to the supplied optical cable.

Thanks, Anthony

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by antsinger
But all five cables are right next to each other in a line, this is why I thought they were meant to be plugged in.
Yeah, I don't quite understand it, myself. I suppose there are people with HDTV's who just run sound from the built in TV speakers. Kinda sad when you've experienced Halo's audio in a solid HT setup. :D But yeah, just run the three component into your Y/Pb/Pr and you should be set.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Yup, just looked at the pdf manual, and the "extra" two are synch for rgb-5 connections. All things considered, I'm kinda surprised it worked at all. Oh well. :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

I hope I didn't do any damage.

I'll try it out tonight!

·
Registered
785 Posts
I was just searching over x box material and have a question for an old thread. Where can i get this optional optical conversion kit. I just bought an xbox and bought the monster av 400 and an optical cable, and now i'm home and see that there is no place to connect the optical and couldn't find any mention of a breakout kit. Anyway i appreciate any info.

·
Premium Member
4,292 Posts
When you try it out tonight, make sure your digital camera is handy so you can impress us with some screen shots :). I'd be interested to see some shots that show things outside the screen to get an idea of the scale of the image. :)

reaper

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I just have the cheapie AV pack, and the optical just plugs into the side of the little box type thing right by were the cables plug in right by the xbox. It should be there, unless you've got a different Monster kit for it that's nto a complete AV deal or something..

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You need to buy the X Link 100 Fiber Optic Cable from Monster. $30 for what amounts to be a converter and a long Fiber cable. I have it and it works perfectly!

btw: I'm the one who started this post when I first got the 9000.

good luck!

·
Registered
785 Posts
ARGH , i just went to best buy and was going to buy the x link 100 fiber optic cable and the salesman told me it wouldn't work, that the adapter was sold separately.. so i went to 5 other stores, none of which even had the thing... argh...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That stinks! If you look at the package for the 100 I believe it even says what adapters it works with.

Sorry, I hate when people that don't know claim they do.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Me too, they can be found lurking in the circuit city/best buy etc's of the world. Of course i've met some very informative people at the big stores, but thats an outlier. Anyway guess i'll be heading back to get the cable :)

thank

d

·
Registered
70 Posts
Can someone confirm the US XBOX outputs 720p on RGBHV?

If so, does that include DVD or only for games. (i.e. Can I get 720p RGB upscaled from DVD moviws on the US XBOX?)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.