AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had an xbox, hd kit, and 16x9 tv for some time now, and never had a problem. All of the sudden, my xbox sends a widescreen image, but my tv doesn't sense it as widescreen, so i have to stretch the image to fit. The XBOX is set for 16x9, and even when I unplug is and plug it in again over and over, the problem isn't fixed.

This happens with games that used to send a full image to my tv that my tv would recognize as 16x9. Any idea why?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
What kind of TV do you have? TVs that "sense" a 16x9 non-HD signal are very very rare.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, even with an HD signal from Halo it no longer auto senses it.

It USED to sense it and adjust, and now it won't.

It's a Toshiba Cinema Series 57"

57hdx82

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SO I will have to stretch no matter what?

What about my dvd player... its doing the same thing... even though it's set to 16x9 I have to stretch even anamorphic

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
None of my X-Box games have 16:9 support, so my widescreen gaming console experience has strickly been anamorphic widescreen 4:3 signals from my PS2 games.

Will X-Box games always send out a 16:9 signal with widescreen selected ingame, so I can just leave the projector on Native ratio and no more stretching manually by selecting 16:9 ratio?

Or do X-Box games also use the anamorphic 4:3 trick?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Some XBox games are true 16:9 if you set up the dashbaord correctly.

ex. NFL Fever 2004 shows significantly more information to the left and right in Widescreen mode.

Halo unfortunately is not 16:9. It is 4:3, so your TV was never "sensing" that one.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Ok thanks. I knew Halo was 4:3 only because the native image didn't look squished and there's no in-game aspect ratio option.

I call it a trick I guess because I like to leave my projector in native mode, thus I have to manually switch to 16:9 mode ( I don't like 4:3 stretched, unless it's suppose to be). Also, a 16:9 signal will produce a slightly larger picture on my 4805 in native mode than either a 16:9 or anamorphic 4:3 signal in manually selected 16:9 mode.

So with X-Box it could go either way. I'll just check game to game then.

Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.