AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, there seems to be no end to the expensive accessories (Guitar Hero = Guitar, DDR = dance pad) and now the racing wheels. I know they have been around for a while, but it seems that Microsoft has dropped the price to 129 (I suppose to co-incide with Forsa 2 release).

My question is that to those who have the wheel, does the 'game play experience' improve. Does the wheel do a better job than the joystick? Is it easier to control? What is the 'forse feedback' issue?

On top of that, the price is even cheaper at Sam's club ($104 when in your cart), so that is what has tempted me even more. I am getting Forsa this week (likley at circuitcity for the free game) so maybe I should get the wheel as well? Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I got the wheel for $99 CA last Friday as part of a Best Buy sale (probably in anticipation for Forza 2). I was not too impressed with it. While I felt the wheel was solid, it just didn't feel right. For example, whenever I would come out of a turn in the Forza demo I would instinctually turn the wheel too much and send my car into skid (we are talking the C class cars here, not the racers) . Even after playing for about an hour I just couldn't get used to it. PGR was even worse. On the positive side, the force feedback is great. Nonetheless, I boxed it back up and brought it back.

Perhaps if we could use one of the Logitech 900 degree wheels it would feel right.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I initially did order it from Sam's club, but then I cancelled the order. Might as well and wait a little longer beforer pulling the trigger. I am buying Forsa however.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The wheel is well made, and I know some folks are doing well with it. I however regret buying it, it makes pretty well every game you can use it with harder than it is to use the controller.... I'm still torn over whether or not to buy Forza2, and even if I did I'm not sure I'd use the wheel at all.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I am extremely satisfied with my wheel. It really adds to the experience for me at least.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deveng /forum/post/0

My question is that to those who have the wheel, does the 'game play experience' improve. Does the wheel do a better job than the joystick? Is it easier to control? What is the 'forse feedback' issue?

I feel that games are a bit more difficult with the wheel.

In most games and especially PGR3 the wheel is way too "touchy" for my tastes. In the Dirt demo you can adjust sensitivity but it still feels very "touchy". Still, I'm getting used to that sensitivity and hill climb in Dirt is growing on me! Forza2 with the wheel is spot on for me.

Most friends that come to my house and try the wheel have more frustration than fun with it and end up sliding the wheel off the table (the support clamp is far from strong enough).

Force feedback is well implemented in both Dirt and Forza2.

I would say that if you are more of a "high scores" type of guy you should stick with the controller and if you are more on the immersion side buy the wheel and buy it in a store that has a good return policy just in case.

Even with an increased level of difficulty I get a better 'game play experience' with the wheel for sure. You just have to get used to it.

·
Banned
1,439 Posts
I love the wheel, with a good cab, there isn't a better accessory for the system. In fact, I don't play with the controller any more, it just feels unrealistic. The wheel adds to the total immersion

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
these are the same complaints you'll see of any wheel on any system. It's very similar to the mouse vs gamepad issue. I haven't tried a MS one yet, but I've seen this debate over the years.

Gamepads are great in that they are ergonomic, and just geared to be a relaxed gaming method. Killer is, they also make you lazy. With a stick, you can easily turn a car from full left to full right unrealistically quick, almost instantly.

With a wheel, people get pissed at the ~270 movement. in reality, once your car is moving you would never move your wheel at 900 degree's. You only need 900 when your parking or moving very slow. And in a high end sports car, there are even less turns of the wheel then say your everyday econo car. I'll admit, the more degree of movement the more realistic it would be, but the game would have to compensate for speed, meaning the faster you go the less you have to move the wheel, just like a real car. Truth is, most games don't calibrate for a wheel very well on a console anyways, yet alone 900 degrees. Do you want to have to turn the wheel 3 times when going 100mph when trying to go around a simple corner? No, of course not, and that is why we don't need 900+ degrees of motion. It's a compromise. When you are playing a racing game, you don't spend the gist of your time parallel parking so why care?

A steering wheel is generally much MUCH MUCH more precise then a gamepad....but of course if the game isn't written to take advantage of it, then it's simply not going to work well. I have a wheel for the PC, I would never play a game without it. Going around corners is so realistic, whereas with a gamepad you are stuck doing the usual mix of tapping in one direction...oppps too far, then tap in the other direction to compensate. PGR3 really irritated me for this. Sure the gamepad allowed for a quick and easy way to drift, but trying to drive smoothly was much harder then it had to be.

Some people don't like using the mouse for a FPS because it's too hard. it is far more accurate and realistic, as is a steering wheel. I'm sure with time and practice, these issues would go away for anyone. If the game is written to work with a steering wheel, then anyone with a wheel should be able to hand a whoopping to anyone on a gamepad.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Luv the wheel...Forza 2 would not be as fun for me without the wheel.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The wheel does take some getting used to, but it is worth it in the long run. I noticed that it's pretty much useless in the third person views, but it works quite well in cockpit or front bumper views. I got the wheel last week while it was on sale here in Canada, and it's taken me about a week to finally feel that I'm playing as good or better compared to using a controller. I somewhat miss the convenience of the controller though.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I really like the wheel. Got it a day before the price drop (got refunded for that, helped pay for Forza) I can't see playing any game that would take advantage of a wheel with a controller now. Forza 2 and the wheel were made for each other. Match made in heaven. PGR3 isn't that bad either and alot of fun with the wheel. You DO have to get used to it though.

For people who are throwing wheels off their clamps only thing I can say is your driving practices are way off. No way the wheel should be flying off when using it. Clamp is plenty strong if not then either you're not using it right or it's defective some how.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.