AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an HP 65" 1080p set - incredible pic. I would THINK the VGA would provide better picture. It looks like even games set to 1080i are really "540p doubled" - thus 720p native games at 60FPS are the best (1280x720 supported under VGA).

Has anyone with a high end setup (unlike the game sites running on 20" monitors) noticed a difference - just wondering if it is worth $25

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Moved

·
Registered
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura
I have an HP 65" 1080p set - incredible pic. I would THINK the VGA would provide better picture. It looks like even games set to 1080i are really "540p doubled" - thus 720p native games at 60FPS are the best (1280x720 supported under VGA).

Has anyone with a high end setup (unlike the game sites running on 20" monitors) noticed a difference - just wondering if it is worth $25
display calibration thread. many combos of cable and tv here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=606216

Also there are numerous 'state your tv/resolution' threads you can check:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=617709
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=617498

I use VGA as it matches my LCD panels native 1360x768, looks great, and frees a component jack. Let your eyes be the judge.

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura
It looks like even games set to 1080i are really "540p doubled" -
What would give you this idea? Where have you seen evidence of this? If this were true then people wouldn't be claiming to see "more detail" at 1080i on 1080i native TVs (which means that the Xbox scaler is better than their TV's.)

·
Registered
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22
What would give you this idea? Where have you seen evidence of this? If this were true then people wouldn't be claiming to see "more detail" at 1080i on 1080i native TVs (which means that the Xbox scaler is better than their TV's.)
Wouldn't this only be true if the game was rendered in 1080p and interlaced in the output? I can't see how scaling any image would 'add' detail that didn't exist in the original. Anything added is just the scaler's 'best guess' as to what supposed to be there.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Numerous sites have stated that none of the games are internally rendered at 1080p - think about the 512megs of TOTAL RAM the system has - this is not possible.

Also, anandtech and others seemed to confirm through "sources" that 1920x1080i is really 1920x540p "stretched".

THe PGR3 devlopers confirmed that it is actually only rendered at 1000x600p and upscaled to 720p. Again, no other software does this but supposedly MS allowed this due to how great it looks anyway

http://www.playnow.com.au/cgi-bin/ul...c;f=3;t=011690

·
Registered
916 Posts
OK, but my point was that an upscaled 720p image wouldn't show more detail, because that detail didn't exist in the original.

In addition, it doesn't seem plausible to 'render' an image in 1080i natively, as some suggest some games are doing (or will do), so I kinda agree with the 1080i output being line-doubled 1920x540. If it is possible to generate an interlaced computer graphic without starting with a progressive image, I'd like to know how that's done.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I have a Pioneer 5050HD Plasma. I have the VGA cables and the component cables that came with the premium system.

In my opinion, the component cables seemed to show more details and much more vibrant colors. The pictured really did look soft through the VGA cable. I really wanted the VGA cable tow ork out so I could keep one more component input free but the difference was very clear.

If anyone is interested in buying a used VGA cable, feel free to PM me.

-Evangelo2

·
Registered
162 Posts
I own a Pioneer 5045 and I am in the exact same boat as Evangelo2. The colors with the VGA cable looked washed. I'm returning my VGA cable back to Fry's ASAP.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Did anyone who owns a Sammy DLP try the VGA cable? I am really curious if the quality is as good or little better than Component. I would really like to save a Component slot on the tv.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbyrnes
Did anyone who owns a Sammy DLP try the VGA cable? I am really curious if the quality is as good or little better than Component. I would really like to save a Component slot on the tv.
i'm using component and switching via my avr. the picture looks damn good, i can't imagine it getting much better. if someone has tried both i'd also be curious to hear, but right now my setup looks and works great.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
i remember reading here that the picture should look better with the vga cable because of a technical reason...something to do with the vga cable being able to split the signal up more precisely. that said i'm using the component cable and the 360 looks great on my panny 700.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22
Component throws away 52% of color data (green) and then it is reintroduced in the display. VGA is true RGB (red green blue.)
Thanks man. I think regardless I would have had to do the VGA cable just to free up component slots. Glad to know that the VGA should be better.

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
Whether it's "better" depends on two things (1) how well your TV handles VGA and (2) the fact you need to calibrate it seperately from your other inputs. Some people report the VGA looks much better and some don't like it as much. I think it's one or both of my points coming into play.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought the VGA cable and was ready to compare the component with the VGA on my 50" SXRD, and the Video input 8 ("PC Slot") would not fit the picture to screen. Anyone know how to solve this? I tried changing the display output to every different setting and my tv would not even zoom the picture or anything. The help would be very appreciated and I could post my comparison.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
The issue is that the 360 is sending Video Levels over the VGA connection and most displays (not all) are expecting PC RGB Levels over VGA . Some displays have a setting for this while others may auto sense and adjust as needed but the majority do nothing and thus get the washed out image .

------------ Jason

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by o12ozPoundcakeo
I bought the VGA cable and was ready to compare the component with the VGA on my 50" SXRD, and the Video input 8 ("PC Slot") would not fit the picture to screen. Anyone know how to solve this? I tried changing the display output to every different setting and my tv would not even zoom the picture or anything. The help would be very appreciated and I could post my comparison.
I used the VGA cable on my Mits 927. The only good res to use was 1280 x 720, and with the stretch on, I could'nt fill the screen either. So back to component I went. :confused:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2
I have a Pioneer 5050HD Plasma. I have the VGA cables and the component cables that came with the premium system.

In my opinion, the component cables seemed to show more details and much more vibrant colors. The pictured really did look soft through the VGA cable. I really wanted the VGA cable tow ork out so I could keep one more component input free but the difference was very clear.

If anyone is interested in buying a used VGA cable, feel free to PM me.

-Evangelo2
Is this the official microsoft VGA? I tried both and the off brand sucked big time (dim, fuzzy) while the official microsoft version was vibrant, sharp and crisp clear. Could be a design flaw in the offbrand anyway the difference wasnight and day while the improvement over component was not as noticable, it was there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.