AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for any that are interested, the mod chip site smartxx.com has download able pictures of the inards af a development xbox 360. its quite interesting to say the least.

http://www.smartxx.com/news.php is a link to smartxx's news section where you can download the pic's. its approximately 30 megs however.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_somd
for any that are interested, the mod chip site smartxx.com has download able pictures of the inards af a development xbox 360. its quite interesting to say the least.

http://www.smartxx.com/news.php is a link to smartxx's news section where you can download the pic's. its approximately 30 megs however.
For anyone who's interested, look for the image that shows the bottom of the optical drive. Even though it's clearly labeled DVD-ROM, I found the manufacturer name to be very interesting.....

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine
For anyone who's interested, look for the image that shows the bottom of the optical drive. Even though it's clearly labeled DVD-ROM, I found the manufacturer name to be very interesting.....
VERY interesting...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ
VERY interesting...
Let the wild rumors begin! Here's two I just made up: :D

1. Toshiba will produce an HD-DVD drive for the XBox 360 and Microsoft will offer a service (costs will pay for drive and service) to send in the console for a drive swap.

2. The drive can sercetly read HD-DVD discs, but not without a firmware update, and that planned secret Xbox Live update that was mentioned a while back, the one that supposedly will add new features, includes this update.

3. Microsoft found it cheaper to have Toshiba produce them the drive than ask Sony. :p

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Montemayor

1. Toshiba will produce an HD-DVD drive for the XBox 360 and Microsoft will offer a service (costs will pay for drive and service) to send in the console for a drive swap.

2. The drive can sercetly read HD-DVD discs, but not without a firmware update, and that planned secret Xbox Live update that was mentioned a while back, the one that supposedly will add new features, includes this update.

3. Microsoft found it cheaper to have Toshiba produce them the drive than ask Sony. :p
I like your rumors, Especially #2, make up some more. :p

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:

MS says: You're hired! :p

·
Registered
876 Posts
Quote:

I also like #2 :)

But I'd also like to add a #4. The retail version of the Xbox 360 will ship with a fully functional HD-DVD drive, instead of the DVD-ROM drives in the Beta kits. Which makes perfect sense, because a) These dev kits aren't final (I believe), b) They wouldn't be necessary for development and c) MS is probably trying to keep their little pact with Toshiba as close to their chest as possible :D

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
The DVD drive says Toshiba Samsung on it. I find that odd. If MS said "Toshiba you make half" and "Samsung you make half" the drives would still say each one, not both maybe it was a joint venture between the 2 companies. A 12x DVD drive seems to be within their respective capabilities.

And the argument over the optical connector can be put to rest. It's a full size, standard connector on the back of the AV connector.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothru22
The DVD drive says Toshiba Samsung on it. I find that odd. If MS said "Toshiba you make half" and "Samsung you make half" the drives would still say each one, not both maybe it was a joint venture between the 2 companies. A 12x DVD drive seems to be within their respective capabilities.

And the argument over the optical connector can be put to rest. It's a full size, standard connector on the back of the AV connector.
I believe it's been posted on these boards (somewhere) that Samsung is also supposed to manufacture HD-DVD drives, along with Blu-Ray drives, so that might explain that.

I'm not sure if that's accurate however, so take that with a grain of salt. Anyone else know if the above is true or not?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Here is a rumor for ya... Microsoft is going to spring something substantial at the end of the "origen countdown" clock. I believe that it will be the following.

They will offer the harddrive for free or at a reduced price ($50) with the purchase of the core system ($299) for a limited time . show your receipt type thing and get a harddrive for 49.99. I also think that they will drop the price of the premium package to 359.99.

just a guess. either that or they will offer a 1 year Xbox Gold membership for free for a limited time.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothru22

Toshiba and Sammy both are partners - Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology Corporation

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.