AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where to preorder the 360 now that the price is out?

I hear rumors that people have already preorder but it is not on reputable websites or in any b&m stores that I have seen. If not is there an expected start to the preorder at places like GameStop or BestBuy? I think November is soon enough for this to start.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Gamestop and EB starting taking pre-orders long ago. Depends on your area how many they've taken so far.

None of the other chain "department" stores (CC, BB, Target, etc) have started taking pre-orders yet.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Maximus
I have a pre-order at my local GameCrazy (Hollywood Video) which I'm going to cancel...
Why? Are you short a $100?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well, the only interesting launch game is PGR3, anything else that's compelling isn't going to be out til next year.

I shell out a lot on games, but I don't appreciate the price-gouging... there's no game that makes me say i gotta have it now...and PS3 is starting to look more tempting

Faceplate ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)

what jackass at MS came up with this idea-probably some refugee exec from swatch watch..this a game system, not barbie dress up 360

Hard Drive (20 GB) ($99.99, 99.99 Euros, 69.99 GBP) $100 separately (vs $30 for a plain old ata 20gb HD)

Memory Unit (64 MB) ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 22.99 GBP) wow, i thought the PSP's MS ProDuo cards were a complete ripoff, not to mention the PS2 mem cards, but it looks like we have a new winner

• Wireless Networking Adapter ($99.99, 79.99 Euros, 59.99 GBP) 100 bucks for a WiFi card?!

• Wireless Controller ($49.99, 44.99 Euros, 32.99 GBP) that's $15 more than the wavebird

• Controller ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 24.99 GBP) geez 40 for a regular controller

• Component HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP) MS was going to pack in an all-in-one video cable with every unit, guess that generosity went out the window

• VGA HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP) again, it $40 to get anything better than 480i out of the x360

This $299 core system is a sham, if you want/need ANY accessory you are being forced to shell out $400. Let's recall the last major system that debuted at $400... the Sega Saturn.

We still have to see how many games will come in at $60 instead of $50.

MS is losing around $100 on every unit they sell in the next 6 months, so they decided to recoup some $$ by shafting the early adopters in every possible way, thanks but no thanks MS.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Well, the only interesting launch game is PGR3, anything else that's compelling isn't going to be out til next year.

I shell out a lot on games, but I don't appreciate the price-gouging... there's no game that makes me say i gotta have it now...and PS3 is starting to look more tempting

what jackass at MS came up with this idea-probably some refugee exec from swatch watch..this a game system, not barbie dress up 360

Hard Drive (20 GB) ($99.99, 99.99 Euros, 69.99 GBP) $100 separately (vs $30 for a plain old ata 20gb HD)

Memory Unit (64 MB) ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 22.99 GBP) wow, i thought the PSP's MS ProDuo cards were a complete ripoff, not to mention the PS2 mem cards, but it looks like we have a new winner

• Wireless Networking Adapter ($99.99, 79.99 Euros, 59.99 GBP) 100 bucks for a WiFi card?!

• Wireless Controller ($49.99, 44.99 Euros, 32.99 GBP) that's $15 more than the wavebird

• Component HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP) MS was going to pack in an all-in-one video cable with every unit, guess that generosity went out the window

• VGA HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP) again, it $40 to get anything better than 480i out of the x360

This $299 core system is a sham, if you want/need ANY accessory you are being forced to shell out $400. Let's recall the last major system that debuted at $400... the Sega Saturn.

MS is losing around $100 on every unit they sell in the next 6 months, so they decided to recoup some $$ by shafting the early adopters in every possible way, thanks but no thanks MS.

I agree that it is a bit much, but I think I'll get it. It's likely a full year in the US ahead of the PS3 and all I have now is a gamecube (which got shafted by NCAA06) and older. Ghost Recon looks like the best game, after that all pretty bland (PS3 has I9 and some others that looked amazing but again are far off).

I am pissed that the wireless networking isn't integrate like they said, and that wired controllers even exist (if the standard was wireless they'd have to be more reasonably priced). The HDD rip off is going to be there but it is largely offset by the inclusion of the component cables (though I would have prefered VGA) and the headset which bring it back to a resonable rate. I agree that independently they are overpriced and I may have to forget my habit of always having 4 controllers for every game system starting at launch. Also, you don't ever need the face plate, I personally will never ever buy one at any price.

The game price issue is a major problem, now at that price when they go on sale (rare as hell for games) it will be to like 40 instead of 30... I think its absurd and a deterent from buying as many games (maybe I'll have to get gamefly or something).

Remember, the PS3 will most likely be 400 and not until next summer. Also, remember that if a company makes good games and you're not sure if they will be on the xbox, just wait a bit and M$ will buy them!

I'll stop by gamestop tomorrow and put my money down, want to get it on launch to go with my new tv. (fingers crossed that there will be more games I want, that's why you can always buy nintendo they are guaranteed to have some super fun compelling games just not as many games).

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Quote:

I'm not saying you're wrong, or not entitled to your opinion, but there were some points I disagree with.

The PS3 looks more tempting right now. Again, your opinion but you should remember that the 360 looked more tempting before the final specs all came out. You'll see the same thing with the PS3 in half a year. And, you really haven't seen any real gameplay from the PS3 yet. Just not sure how I could get really excited when I haven't seen anything and their previous consoles have both taken a year or more get get rolling. I see the 360 coming in a bit stronger, one big reason is LIVE.

You mentioned having to buy the VGA cable for anything over 480i. I'm guessing this was a typo or mistake? It's not true in case you are under that impression.

Network card is $100...not really a concern for me. There are much cheaper alternatives that can be had for well under $50. Most people probably don't need it.

The $400 package includes the component/composite cable you speak of.

I don't think the $400 deal is unreasonable. I think the HD at $100 is, but you can buy the $400 to start with and it's not that bad. Labeling it $299 when you need some sort of memory is a bit of marketing spin, but so be it. I call it a stupidity tax for people not researching what they need. The peripherals are expensive, but most you only have to buy once. Not a huge deal and some people will never need them.

I initially thought the 2 packages were a bad deal, but I think it's a pretty smart move. Many people just don't need all the extra stuff. The accessories pricing (mem cards, etc.) are a bit high, but so is everything nowdays. Nature of console gaming...they make the console loss up in other places.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Could people ***** about the price anymore? If you expected to spend less than 200 bucks with this new gaming device you're smoking crack... Maybe you should stick to PC gaming which is soooooooo much cheaper (insert sarcasm).. I spent more than 400 bucks on just a GPU last month and people want to cry about spending 200 or 400 bucks on a machine that will out perfrom any PC when it's released.. Even a year later it will still cost an arm and a leg to build a PC thats better but I doubt people will be emailing Nvidia or ATI about how expensive their new cards are...

$400 for a great machine with wireless internet and controllers and a HDD is hardly expensive...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01
$400 for a great machine with wireless internet and controllers and a HDD is hardly expensive...
Like, dooooood the wireless internet IS NOT included - that'll set you back another $100, or like, 2 more days of work at Walmart.

Doood, go look at the xbox website, they still have the earlier press releases where they state EVERY x360 will come with a HDD and a wireless controller. MS has really done a crappy job communicating / creating expectations / getting their PR people on the same page. They are doing a lousy job, I wish they'd get their act together.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Could people ***** about the price anymore? If you expected to spend less than 200 bucks with this new gaming device you're smoking crack... Maybe you should stick to PC gaming which is soooooooo much cheaper (insert sarcasm).. I spent more than 400 bucks on just a GPU last month and people want to cry about spending 200 or 400 bucks on a machine that will out perfrom any PC when it's released.. Even a year later it will still cost an arm and a leg to build a PC thats better but I doubt people will be emailing Nvidia or ATI about how expensive their new cards are...

Good post.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Quote:

Welcome to the Dark Side;)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Quote:

Agreed, but wireless internet is $500 if you want it ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Real men do it with wired internet. Wireless is only nice cause you can take your laptop to the bathroom when taking a crap and fill up those 15 min with something to do. Too much information? :)

·
Registered
16,656 Posts
Is every single X360 thread going to turn into a b!tch fest over the pricing ... sheesh !!!

-- Does anybody have anything else to add regarding places to pre-order that have not yet filled allocation numbers on the first or second shipment ?

-- Wal-Mart has not yet started taking pre-orders (as of 8am on 8/18) .

-- I hear Toys-R-Us will start taking them soon as well (from somebody that works there) .

---------- Jason

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The current wireless internet adapter for XBOX is $100 also. What's the problem?

And you don't NEED the wireles adapter if you're just going to plug the ethernet cable directly into the XBOX360.

I preorderd @ Ganmestop @ Lenox Mall in Atlanta, GA. $50.00 down that will go toward the final price. I can pull this $50 out at any time, but I won't. I'm getting this 360 the day it comes out.

All of you can be bitching about the price as I'm enjoying my new gaming system.

later

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp
Is every single X360 thread going to turn into a b!tch fest over the pricing ... sheesh !!!

---------- Jason
Sure seems that way Jason. :( all over $100!

·
Registered
447 Posts
i was just gonna say the same thing, people cant start an X360 thread, about ANY topic regarding the system, without price complaints and PS3 comparisons.

as far as the preorders go, we went to Gamestop yesterday to preorder, and they were not aware of the early morning announcement of the 2 versions. but the guy there said that once they got the 2 SKUs or were informed of the 2 packages, they would probably have to contact all their preorders and find out who wants which one, since they cant assume either way for over 100 preorders. I would assume it will be like that at most places that have been taking orders before yesterdays announcement.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.