AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my new xbr910 and love its awesome picture especially on my cable HD feeds. However I have noticed that on the component input the set seems to lock the display options-- can't use the DRC and can't use the zoom/stretch etc. Is this just with an HD feed or any signal coming in component?

This is important since I am looking at a new sony receiver (3000es or 5000es) that has component "upconversion". Does anyone know how that is done? Am I better off putting my s-video VHS signal in through s-video and letting the tv deal with it or first passing it thru the receiver and upconverting to component? Will the tv still DRC process the upconverted signal correctly?

Tried calling sony and they couldn't give any info!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
It's not a question of component vs. other inputs.

DRC is only used for 480i sources.

Zoom / Stretch modes are only available for 480i and 480p sources.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that is what I originally thought yet when i view standard broadcast signals from my cable box connected via component the DRC and stretch modes are locked-- and these are not HD feeds so I assumed they were 480i

·
Registered
421 Posts
The signal is are probably being up converted by your cable box to something that the 910 converts to 1080i (is 720p, 480p etc).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just found out this is the problem-- the cable box info says it outputs everything at 1080i. I have now been switching back and forth looking how that signal compares to the svideo output processsed by the drc by the 910-- can't yet decide which I like better

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Yes, my cable box (SA 3100HD) upconverts everything to 1080i too. Poor implementation ... but ... ah well. What works best for me (34XBR800) is:

Component for HD channels

S-Video for SD digital channels

Composite for SD analog channels (the TV's comb filter seems to work much better than the cable box's)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
why would you use composite for sd analog rather than svideo? the svideo will still go through the tv filter

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
The analog channels are inherently composite, so the S-Video output on the cable box must do the Y/C separation. Many cable boxes do this very poorly. It usually looks fine for digital channels because the MPEG decode provides Y/C output.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drfertil
why would you use composite for sd analog rather than svideo? the svideo will still go through the tv filter
Comb filters perform Y/C separation and are only used on composite signals. When you feed a TV via S-Video you are using the STBs comb filter (for analog channels). It should bypass the TV's comb filter.

composite / RF -> comb filter -> s-video -> chroma decoder -> component

For digital signals, Y/C is already seperated ... so it makes alot of sense to send them to the TV via S-Video (instead of combining the signals via component and then seperating them again at the TV).

I have to admit I don't use the 3100HD to view SD channels very often ... the above was based on quick first impressions. Also, the advantage of composite on analog channels was VERY minor ... while the advantage of S-Video on digital channels is pretty major.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Does anybody know if the DRC processing can be turned OFF completely (perhaps in the service menu)? I love the look of this set when displaying 1080i, 720p or 480p -- but when looking at 480i images, I find it to be downright putrid. The whole thing is EXTREMELY over-processed, with a truckload of noise-reduction that just looks horrible.

I've tried running the settings down to their absolute minimums, but that's not low enough in my view, as it still doesn't look anything remotely like a 480i image on a "regular" monitor. Maybe I'm asking too much, but I think it would look better if they didn't apply all this processing.

--Bill R.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by videojanitor
Does anybody know if the DRC processing can be turned OFF completely (perhaps in the service menu)? I love the look of this set when displaying 1080i, 720p or 480p -- but when looking at 480i images, I find it to be downright putrid. The whole thing is EXTREMELY over-processed, with a truckload of noise-reduction that just looks horrible.
The 34XBR910 can not display a 480i image. DRC is what converts a 480i image to something the TV can display. If you could turn off DRC ... you wouldn't get any image at all for 480i sources:

See: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...70#post2264670

I find DRC ... like most scalers ... to be acceptable for good 480i sources. Have you fed the TV a 480i signal from a DVD player? Very good results (IMHO). Dirty 480i sources ... well, like most scalers ... the results are usually not pleasant.

Don't try to turn off DRC ... try to get as clean a signal as possible to your set.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Thanks for the info. It all makes perfect sense now, and I think you're right on with your thoughts about "clean" versus "dirty" 480i signals. I ran my C-Band satellite receiver into the composite input, and it didn't look THAT bad. Not the equal of viewing it on my old 27" analog XBR, but quite watchable. On the other hand, S-VHS tapes look pretty bad; same for TiVo. Not good.

I switched my DVD player output back-and-forth between 480i and 480p, and there's quite a difference there -- obviously keeping this in 480p is the way to go.

Thanks again for your help! --Bill R.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've watched DVD's, VHS copies, VHS originals, and SVHS tapes recorded from cable shows, plus analog cable and digital cable.

The digital cable provides a slightly better picture than analog cable. The VHS tapes are of varying quality, as are the SVHS copies made from cable shows.

All these sources are 480i. The DVD's provide the best picture, digital cable next best, followed by (probably) VHS original tapes. Then comes analog cable, SVHS copies, and VHS copies.

The better the source, the less processing takes place in the xbr910. My experience has been that the picture on the 910 is for me better than it was on my 27" Sony Trinitron, even on what I know are low quality imput sources. Yes, I can see some processing, but it generally helps, not hurts the picture.

Regarding videojanitor's comment that 480p is the way to go with DVD, I don't know that I agree. The line doubling (DRC) on the xbr910 is quite good, and with a Bravo D1 I can get a 1080i signal using the DVI input. In any event, I have never seen a 480i picture on the 910 that I would consider putrid. Just another view.

Fitzie.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I have a 36XBR400 and I just re-cabled my whole setup when I got digital cable. I have a Series 1 Philips Tivo that I was using with its internal tuner for analog cable. I also have a S-VHS deck, and now a MyHD card in a new HTPC. The picture on the Tivo before was usually disappointing even at "Best" quality, especially when compared to the XBR internal tuner. When the digital cable box was installed, the cable installer replaced all my cheesy coax cables with RG6 with good connectors. The picture on all cable sources is much improved. The XBR internal tuner still looks the best, followed by the Tivo (now input by composite from DCT2000), and then the VCR. The other strange thing is that using composite from the Tivo to the TV looks much better than the S-Video. There is lots of banding and other artifacts that I can't explain other than the Tivo is just defective in that respect. The Tivo's S-Video really should look better than the composite.

The most significant thing is that now the cable looks almost as good as SD programs from the MyHD output at 480p fullscreen. These are programs that are upconverted at the station to 1080i and broadcast with black pillarbox. The reason that the digital 480p doesn't look significantly better than the cable is that there are minor scaling artificacts from the MyHD downconversion. The cable signal looks smoother where the MyHD looks oversharp or edge enhanced. The color is much better on all material (SD or HD) through the MyHD compared to cable.

The other thing that bugs me about DRC is that when the Tivo is paused or is outputting video that is completely static, the aparent vertical resolution on the TV looks really bad. I know the Tivo repeats the same interlace field when paused to avoid flickering, but I don't understand why the DRC can't handle the normal video of a static image.

- Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.