AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm having a real hard time deciding which set to get. I've narrowed it down to these 4, but I can't make up my mind.

This set will be used for gaming on Xbox360 via VGA, a PS3 via HDMI, and a Wii via component. Also for movies and TV programming, a decent amount of sports.

There is a window on the left at a 90 degree angle.

I saw the 40" version of the XBR4 at BB playing TMNT on blu-ray, the scene when the two turtles were fighting eachother in the rain on the rooftop was sick, no motion blur at all.

Any help?

·
Registered
3 Posts
i saw the same TV at CC and it was playing Pirates of the Caribean on Blu Ray. I will be buying both when i get my tax return in a week. best picture on a tv i have ever seen i was blown away samsung looked like poop next to it. just my two cents. i've been waiting a long time to upgrade to hd and the wait was worth it

·
Registered
3 Posts
oh and i forgot to mention dont buy at either BB or CC $400 bucks cheaper on crutchfield and no tax or shipping its a no brainer

·
Registered
325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomboyd1 /forum/post/12941357

oh and i forgot to mention dont buy at either BB or CC $400 bucks cheaper on crutchfield and no tax or shipping its a no brainer

Well which ever one you pick out of those 4.. I am sure you will be satisfied...

I have the FP-T5084.. I am very satisfied with it... I am sure owners of the other sets are also very happy with theirs...

Hard to go wrong with those 4..

·
Registered
213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnySem /forum/post/12940568

Hey everyone, I'm having a real hard time deciding which set to get. I've narrowed it down to these 4, but I can't make up my mind.

This set will be used for gaming on Xbox360 via VGA, a PS3 via HDMI, and a Wii via component. Also for movies and TV programming, a decent amount of sports.

There is a window on the left at a 90 degree angle.

I saw the 40" version of the XBR4 at BB playing TMNT on blu-ray, the scene when the two turtles were fighting eachother in the rain on the rooftop was sick, no motion blur at all.

Any help?

I would have to dis agree with what you have seen about no motion blur. I have posted somewhere on this site about comparing my mates XBR5 and my Kuro with the TMNT bluray.

He never thought there was any motion blur, until we studied them and found a scene that shows it all the time....the roof top fight. When Raphael takes down Leonardo, realises he's done bad and then runs away jumping over the roof tops. If you look on the XBR there is a slight red/green clouding above Raphael's head from the pixels having to shut off between Red, Green and some dark blue. A perfect shot that the response time is not fast enough to shut off between the pixels. On my Kuro there is no clouding above the head.

If you go back to the store ask to check that scene and watch him run, you should see what we both saw.

I use my Kuro in almost the exact same scenanario you described. Massive windows 90 degree to the left. Wii component, 360 VGA, PS3 HDMI.

I do notice the TV is probably not as bright as my Philips LCD had been in the room during the day, especially in the morning when the light is pissing into this room. But I find games are still very enjoyable and still look quite impressive. And then when the sun starts to go down, or it's a rainy day, the Kuro starts to become really impressive.

Will agree with Hagar, you will most likely be happy with any of these TV's. Especially if you have not had a flat panel before. 50" is also more impressive than 40"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone.

For those of you that own plasmas, how do you find viewing them in rooms with a lot of ambient light?

·
Registered
325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnySem /forum/post/12944302

Thanks everyone.

For those of you that own plasmas, how do you find viewing them in rooms with a lot of ambient light?

It isn't too bad at all.. Not as good as the night time obviously.. But I have a window behind me facing the TV... and glare isn't all the bad.. I was actually suprised..

·
Registered
722 Posts
Ive noticed some really horrible motion blur on theSammy 71's. I noticed it at Ccity and Bestbuy. I work at ccity and ive adjusted the setting and everything hoping to fix the issue and no luck. I havent yet noticed it as bad on the XBR series and well we know plasmas dont suffer from it. anyway, this is coming from a big sammy fan, but lets just say i was highly dissapointed when i saw this.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
If I were you I'd figure out what my priority is. If gaming were my biggest priority I would get the 71 series Samsung. It's much brighter and I think the 120Hz would be a cool benefit for gaming. If movies in a darkened room and black levels are your thing the 5080(or 5010) would likely be the best choice. I have a 6010 but if they made the 71 series in a 60" size I would have spent a bit of time comparing the 71 series with the Kuro before I made a purchase.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokenz /forum/post/12944190

I would have to dis agree with what you have seen about no motion blur. I have posted somewhere on this site about comparing my mates XBR5 and my Kuro with the TMNT bluray.

He never thought there was any motion blur, until we studied them and found a scene that shows it all the time....the roof top fight. When Raphael takes down Leonardo, realises he's done bad and then runs away jumping over the roof tops. If you look on the XBR there is a slight red/green clouding above Raphael's head from the pixels having to shut off between Red, Green and some dark blue. A perfect shot that the response time is not fast enough to shut off between the pixels. On my Kuro there is no clouding above the head.

If you go back to the store ask to check that scene and watch him run, you should see what we both saw.

I use my Kuro in almost the exact same scenanario you described. Massive windows 90 degree to the left. Wii component, 360 VGA, PS3 HDMI.

I do notice the TV is probably not as bright as my Philips LCD had been in the room during the day, especially in the morning when the light is pissing into this room. But I find games are still very enjoyable and still look quite impressive. And then when the sun starts to go down, or it's a rainy day, the Kuro starts to become really impressive.

Will agree with Hagar, you will most likely be happy with any of these TV's. Especially if you have not had a flat panel before. 50" is also more impressive than 40"

i've seen the same scene on my sony xbr2 and no motion blur as described.

your friend must have some weird settings or a faulty tv.

·
Registered
426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnySem /forum/post/12944302

Thanks everyone.

4 Windows - 1 right benind my head when viewing (right across from the FP) and for all the reflection comments here it really is fine (actually quite nice) even with the sun out and snow on the ground (doesn't get much brighter than that!).

·
Registered
354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosng /forum/post/12948996

i've seen the same scene on my sony xbr2 and no motion blur as described.

your friend must have some weird settings or a faulty tv.

Ditto, motion blurr on the lcd xbr series is almost non exsistant. Of course if you sit it next to a 8,000dollar kuro 1080p yeah you will notice the slight differents. In no way ooes the Kuro display a better picture in a well lit room during the day with windows. LCD xbr models have a superior picture during day time viewing with windows thats my experience.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So what are the basic differences between LCD and plasma at this time? Say with a 5084 vs XBR comparison? A lot of the more recent reviews compare plasma to plasma and lcd to lcd but I'm not really sure how they stack up head-to-head with the latest tech on both sides in the $2500 price range.

LCD's

- Brighter (holds up well in well-lit rooms)

- Lower power consumption and heat

- No burn-in (is this even an issue with plasmas any more?)

- Less glare

Plasmas

- Deeper, more accurate blacks

- Less motion blur

- Better off-angle viewing

Anything else?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Was in CC to buy something else but I ran over and looked at the xbr and the 71. OK I know they are not set up for home use but the 71 just looked better to me thatn the xbr.

Matter of fact I guess its brigher and better than anything I could compare it to. All of them were playing the espn hd feed.

Too bad they are crazy on the prices

·
Registered
325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinibwoy /forum/post/12953473

So what are the basic differences between LCD and plasma at this time? Say with a 5084 vs XBR comparison? A lot of the more recent reviews compare plasma to plasma and lcd to lcd but I'm not really sure how they stack up head-to-head with the latest tech on both sides in the $2500 price range.

LCD's

- Brighter (holds up well in well-lit rooms)

- Lower power consumption and heat

- No burn-in (is this even an issue with plasmas any more?)

- Less glare

Plasmas

- Deeper, more accurate blacks

- Less motion blur

- Better off-angle viewing

Anything else?

50" plasmas are cheaper than 46" LCDs

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've narrowed it down to either the Sammy 5084 Plasma or the 5271 LCD.

Decisions, decisions, decisions....

·
Registered
366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokenz /forum/post/12944190

I've been looking into the Kuro (along with the 81 series and XBR4) myself, primarily for gaming (PS3 and 360). Any issues with IR? How about shadow detail in dark games (Gears, Dead Rising at night, Resistance, UT3) while playing during the day?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts