AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Look at the specs - it appears that the XBR3 differs only in the glossy case and face color options - probably not worth worrying about

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmurphey /forum/post/0

Look at the specs - it appears that the XBR3 differs only in the glossy case and face color options - probably not worth worrying about

well versus xbr 1 I would be stepping up to 1080p vs 1080i..(its for the ps3) unless u meant over the xbr2

but reading through everything i have to research some about hdmi 1.3 now!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Just remember, the XBR1 is a 720p(768) set, it accepts 1080i, but it displays it as 720.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
The XBR1 has 768 lines, so everything is displayed at that resolution, the TV cannot change its resolution, since its a physical atribute. 480 and 720 sources are upscaled to 768 lines, 1080i is downscaled to 768 lines. At 40 inches 1080p vs 720/768p is noticable maybe on bluray/hd dvd, and most viewable using a PC hooked to the monitor. For HDTV you probably wont notice. I wouldnt sweat it too much, although depending on what price you can get the XBR1 for, it may be worth getting the 2500 model, which is basically the same thing as the XBR2 sans an HDMI input.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrolop /forum/post/0

The XBR1 has 768 lines, so everything is displayed at that resolution, the TV cannot change its resolution, since its a physical atribute. 480 and 720 sources are upscaled to 768 lines, 1080i is downscaled to 768 lines. At 40 inches 1080p vs 720/768p is noticable maybe on bluray/hd dvd, and most viewable using a PC hooked to the monitor. For HDTV you probably wont notice. I wouldnt sweat it too much, although depending on what price you can get the XBR1 for, it may be worth getting the 2500 model, which is basically the same thing as the XBR2 sans an HDMI input.

thx necrolop--at the time i got the xbr1 i kind of jumped the gun bc my friend at sony was leaving so i had to use the discount--at the time is was a sweet deal...

another "dumb"question..when you say at 40 inches you wont notice the difference what do you mean?

for example, 720p to 1080p i would increase my pixels nearly double, (but that cant possibly mean my picture would be twice as sharp--or could it?)

one other thing is that the HDMI input bothers me--the fact theres only one--im using component for dvd and hdmi for directv--is component nearly as good as hdmi for picture?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Component should be fine for DVD, although if it bothers you, www.monoprice.com has pretty cheap HDMI splitters.

1080p is better that for 1080i content it cant show the entire field, and for 1080p content it can show everything. But many argue with a 40inch set you need to be at about 6 feet to notice the full affects. I own a 40inch 1080P XBR2, and looks great, though maybe Im not getting the full affect, I like to be safer rather than sorry. But when I get closer to the set I definately see the different, At my normal distance, the difference may be nill. Though I do plan on getting a bigger TV.

If its an XBR1 you have, I wouldnt feel bad at all.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i dont feel bad at all, its just im in the mkt for a second tv for the other room so i want to get the latest and greatest for the money--

since i would get a 1080p, i would swap out the xbr1 from the main system and add in watever im getting....im using a sanus bracket which fits every tv i looked at so far...

i love sony, always have, but if im in a mkt for the xbr3, which other tvs should i be comparing it to side by side? i looked at samsung, but they have so many its hard to tell which model is comparable--any help is appreciated...

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
XBR3 is a waste of money, the only thing is has extra is a USB port and a black frame. The XBR2 is identical. And if you want to save more money, get a 2500, they as the same as the XBR2/3 but with 2 HDMI instead of 3, and a different processor, which most people dont like on the XBRs anyways.

The samsung 95 series uses the same panel as the Sonys, just their own processor, it also overscans the image. I dont see any point in getting it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adb /forum/post/0

I doubt if you will see any difference in 1080i back to 720 p. The Bravia is a very good set.

i probably wouldnt, but since i need a second set i may as well get the 1080p....

on a side note, looking at the xbr2, just to clarify, the Vxbr2 is a 720 set and the xbr2 is a 1080p set sorrect?

and would $2500 be a good price on the 40" XBR3?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.