AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Sony XBR1 50", But I have the Green Blob and the local sony tech shop tells me the parts may not be in for 2 months!! And due to the high volume of bad light engines they get fron sony, they have to take the set to the shop!! They say Sony sends out returned light enginesw saying they are fine and the sets get worse. They have had 60 tv's with the green blob in the last 4 months!! In Tucson!! I want a replacement. DLP, HD-ILA, which will compare to the XBR without the headaches? XBR's should be covered under the lemon law!! Jeez!! This really sucks because everytime i go to best buy, the XBR's have the best picture. For $3000.00 I want a TV that works. Please suggest a replacement.

Thanks

·
Registered
596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax-The-Ax /forum/post/0

I love my Sony XBR1 50", But I have the Green Blob and the local sony tech shop tells me the parts may not be in for 2 months!! And due to the high volume of bad light engines they get fron sony, they have to take the set to the shop!! They say Sony sends out returned light enginesw saying they are fine and the sets get worse. They have had 60 tv's with the green blob in the last 4 months!! In Tucson!! I want a replacement. DLP, HD-ILA, which will compare to the XBR without the headaches? XBR's should be covered under the lemon law!! Jeez!! This really sucks because everytime i go to best buy, the XBR's have the best picture. For $3000.00 I want a TV that works. Please suggest a replacement.

Thanks

The XBR2 has a new light engine and it appears that far fewer owners have had problems with this set than last year's model. I just saw a post on what looks like the first Green Blob issue with the XBR2 recently. Any set will have some defects given enough volume. And Sony sells a lot of the SXRD! You can check the owners thread and form your own opinion.

Some XBR1 owners have gotten Sony to upgrade them to the XBR2 for little or no cost. You might try working your way up the support food chain at Sony.

If you feel like you've had enough with Sony but want to stay with LCoS, Ultimate AV on their best of 2006 recommends the JVC HD-61FN97 as honorable mention.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just get frustrated. I go to best buy, they tell me to call warranty to set up a repair. Repair tells me I am screwed, to call Sony or wait 3 months. Best Buy should just resolve this. I paid $400.00 for an extended warranty. A best Buy rep told me a batch of DLP's were bad, around 15. So they gave each customer an exchange. I think 60 is alot more than 15!! Alright, gonna call Sony.

Dax

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I may have great news! Called Sony to ask about my options due to the fact that the local Sony shop will not accept anymore optical blocks from the factory until they clear up the problem. The last 5 have been defected from the factory. Sony called the shop here in town and the lady said sorry, we can't fix anymore until Sony takes back the 13 defective blocks they have right now. This is a very small repair shop in tucson and they have worked on 60 of them in the last 4 months!!! Sony gets back on the phone and tells me a rep will call me within 72 hours to either exchange or buy back my TV! What is a buy back? Man I want the 60" XBR2. Don't know if I can handle worrying about that frickin' blob coming back, though. I paid $2600.00 Plus Tax Plus $400.00 warranty. I wonder what the difference is going up to the XBR2. I have seen them online for $2600.

Dax

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.