AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of reviewing the 34XBR2 for The Perfect Vision. I thought I would let "you folks" know that I hooked up my Panasonic TU-DST50 tuner and PV-HD1000 DVHS to the Sony's ilink connector. The tuner was recognized but no picture. The DVHS deck works beautifully. I use the Panasonic remote for all command and control.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Gary,

Can you share any preliminary impressions from the set? I have one and love it, but I'm anxious to see any and all pro reviews. Also, I don't understand something, are you saying that the tuner was merely recognized but would not work, whereas the DVHS deck worked with the system just fine? If this is true, this is remarkable, as there is allegedly only one device that actually works with the 34XBR2 (and is not just recognized by it). Curious to hear what you have to say, thanks in advance!

------------------

"Direct View HDTV- is there really any other alternative?"

·
Registered
135 Posts
Gary,

Can the PV-HD1000 record programming from the Sony's OTA tuner and does the Sony have any timer functions that will control the Panny DVHS? Someone reported a while ago i n the HD recording section that the Sony would display playback form the Panny DVHS via firewire.

Charles

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
And, if there is a timer to control the D-VHS and it records from the built-in tuner, does the monitor have to be turned on?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I must apologize. I wrote the post just before I went out and did not check it. I should have written "plays" rather than works. It will only play through the Sony. You can not use the Sony to record as a source. Sorry about that.

As for giving out information about the Sony's performance, you will have to wait till the review is published. I wrote about the DVHS playback because it is really an interface issue rather than a performance one. Quite frankly, I was really suprised I could play my tape collection this way.

[This message has been edited by Gary Merson (edited 10-06-2001).]

·
Registered
152 Posts
Has anyone tried connecting the Sony XBR2 firewire output to a PC? (e.g. Tivo)

Is the output an ATSC transport stream, or a demuxed MPEG-2 program stream? Or some other format?

Could you directly record the signal to a file on the PC? (Possibly with a little software capture program.) Or would you need a digital video capture card? Are there any DV capture cards that support HD resolutions?

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Much of these compatibility issues have been pioneered at the HDTV recorders forum. The reason Gary doesn't see a picture from the Panasonic tuner is that the tuner will only output a signal onto the Firewire bus when it is recording to a PV-HD1000 or Victor HM-DH30000.

Based on my experience with the Victor deck, I would also expect it to play back fine through the Sony.

What's interesting about the new product releases is that the Panasonic TU-DST50/51 is STILL the only way to get an OTA HDTV signal onto a Firewire bus for recording to D-VHS. JVC and Sony seemed to have conveniently left out the most desireable feature of all.

-Dylan

·
Registered
152 Posts
Are you saying that the XBR2 does not put out a signal?

That you can only feed it one?

If that's true, so much for recording anything from it.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I have this set and also have the new Cablevision Sony digital STB with firewire output. I hooked up the firewire output from the STB to the TV. The TV accepted the box as a firewire device. However, right now Cablevision is not transmitting any HDTV signals through firewire. You can watch all the other channels through the firewire, however.

If they ever start passing HDTV signals through the firewire as promised I will tell everyone how it works.

Scott

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott G:
You can watch all the other channels through the firewire, however.
How do you watch them through the firewire? Do you select the firewire as the TV's input and change channels on the cable STB? Do you notice any difference in PQ watching the non-HD channels in this fashion versus watching them through an S-video connector?

You, my son, now go boldly where no one has gone before--into digital video, connected digitally http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif .

-- Mike Scott

[This message has been edited by michaeltscott (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
Registered
152 Posts
Does anyone know what format the data is in? Transport or program stream. Transport makes sense to me, as it would have all of the original broadcast information in it.

Has anyone tried to play anything from a PC over the firewire?

Has anyone tried to record anything to a PC?

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by alchymie:
Does anyone know what format the data is in? Transport or program stream. Transport makes sense to me, as it would have all of the original broadcast information in it.
To what data do you refer? If you're talking about the data coming off the Firewire connection on the Sony cable STB, it should be a single demuxed elementary MPEG-2 stream--not a compound Transport Stream. The flavor of Firewire used for 1394/DTCP doesn't have the bandwidth to carry any significant portion of a modern cable system's 150+ channel load, even in the compact digitized NTSC "digital cable" encoding that they use.

Are there any PC firewire video capture programs/hardware that are not DV-only?

-- Mike Scott

[This message has been edited by michaeltscott (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Actually, I take that last reply partially back--it's possible and maybe probable that MPEG-2 TS with all the demuxed subchannels of a single digital channel would be carried by the Firewire. If there's only one program on the channel, the transport stream would only have one program in it. A little more overhead, but it would give it someplace to hang certain DTCP extensions to ATSC extensions to MPEG-2 TS, like the packet that contains Image Constraint Tokens (and a few other interesting things rarely spoken of, like program retention time limits, which I previously thought they'd missed an opportunity to include in this standard).

-- Mike Scott

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Without getting into a lot of technical language here is how it goes. You connect the Cablevision STB to the TV. The TV accepts the device as a valid i-link device. It then asks you to associate a Video Input line with this device. You do all that. Then you must use the STB's channel selector to watch the channels through the firewire. I know you are watching through the transmission of the channels into the set through the firewire, because I disconnected the firewire and the picture goes blank on that video input line. You must have the firewire connected to get any video or audio on that video input line.

Scott

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott G:
I know you are watching through the transmission of the channels into the set through the firewire, because I disconnected the firewire and the picture goes blank on that video input line. You must have the firewire connected to get any video or audio on that video input line.
Okay, I believe you http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif . My other question was, is there any perceptible difference in picture quality between watching NTSC channels through the firewire and watching through an S-Video cable? Can you connect both to the television at once and dynamically switch between video input lines with the TV's remote?

If you can watch their entire range of channels through the Firewire, they must have converted to a completely "digital cable" system (highly compressed digitized NTSC quality), requiring every subscriber to use an STB. Most "digital cable" systems have 70 or more lower "analog" channels that can be tuned by any modern television through the coax coming out of the wall, for customers who explicitly don't want an STB (and another remote control), and don't care about the 150-odd other channels. If that were the case with this and you could watch those "analog" channels through the Firewire, they'd have to be converting them to MPEG on the fly in the cable box--seems unlikely, since they didn't spring for an HD MPEG decoder; encoding is the more difficult and expensive operation. Of course, they may have duplicated all of the "analog" channels in their digital range and the STB only uses those duplicates, but at a minimum 500Kbps per times 70+, it seems like a huge waste of bandwidth, if any system would even have that much to waste.

-- Mike Scott

[This message has been edited by michaeltscott (edited 10-12-2001).]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.