AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the Sony DVP-NS700P progressive scan DVD player to compliment my XBR400. The picture is great, however I found that Auto 16x9 no longer works. The manual confirms the sad fact that Auto 16x9 must be set manually while in 480p or 1080i. It is getting annoying have to manually go through the TV menus and select 16x9 everytime I watch a DVD. It won't even save the 16x9 ON setting. Why would Sony chose to leave out Auto 16x9 for 480p and 1080i, especially when it does work on 480i? Does anyone have a fix or workaround for this problem?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sounds similar to what we experienced - we bought a JVC progressive scan DVD player when we purchased the 36XBR450 and we had to turn OFF the progressive scan feature on the DVD player and just let the Sony auto feature handle the switching automatically again and it does perfectly - DVDs switch (usually at the beginning FBI/Studio splash screens) right before our eyes. Now we wonder why we replaced our previous DVD player in the first place.

·
Registered
182 Posts
This is a problem with the Sony sets that many people have noticed. It's actualy only with 480p that has this problem, 1080i should always switch to 16x9. Your DVD player does not output 1080i. I'm not sure this is a problem with the Sony sets or with progressive DVD players. When using 480i a DVD player playing a widescreen DVD sends a signal to the TV indicating such. For some reason when using 480p either the players don't send this signal or the Sony TV is not able to see it when detecting 480p.

Rob

·
Registered
961 Posts
My XBR400 seems to work when receiving a 480i DVD signal via component or SVideo. But, you're saying it doesn't work with a 480p incoming signal?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I wouldn't call it a problem. If you have a non-anamorphic disc playing on a 480p player, you would not want the set to switch to 16:9.

Correct that all 1080i material is automatically switched to 16:9.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Well this post resolves an issue when I watch the local FOX broadcast. I set my stb to output 480P, but the picture looks the same as 480i, until now and I switch to 16:9.

Thanks for the tip.

Tom

·
Registered
90 Posts
One solution would be to go 480i out of your DVD player and allow the XBR450 to upconvert it to 960i with auto 16:9 engaged. Personally I have noticed very little if any difference between 960i and 480p. The XBR 450 manual in fact recommends interlaced for "motion pictures". I'm not exactly sure why.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am glad to hear it does work in 1080i. I went back and looked in the manual again and it says that only 480p lacks auto 16x9. Unfortunatley almost all my DVDs are anamorphic.

I can set my DVD to output 4:3 letterbox but then the resolution drops.

·
Registered
292 Posts
rpcribari:

At work reading this, so I am going from memory but I believe my 36XBR450 manual states to set the DVD player TV output to 16:9 - another reader here brilliantly suggested, after I wrote about XBR450 settings problems/questions to test myself for correct aspect settings with a video circle and suggested I use a DVD from Universal. I experimented and found that one way I had the settings the Universal Earth in the beginning of the film was egg shaped, so I knew that particular setting was wrong, changed it until it was a perfect circle. I have since found that certain THX certified discs have a circle within box test area that does about the same thing.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xrayyou:
The XBR 450 manual in fact recommends interlaced for "motion pictures". I'm not exactly sure why.
The manual is referring to the DRC circuit, not the actual viewing mode. The DRC cicuit will do progressive (better for static pictures), interlaced (better for motion pictures), or cinemotion (auto detect). This only applies when watching interlaced pictures anyway. When you are watching a progressive input, the internal DRC is not used because you are using the DVD player's DRC.

Most people have said that the XBR450's DRC is so good that the 480i doubled ot 960i looks better than most DVD players with 480p output. And when you are using 480i input, the 16x9 auto mode works so why not?

Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.