AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question ...... I am experiencing the HALO effect with my 46incher . I can only notice it if i am 2/3 feet or more off center from the tv. Looks like a black line on each side running through the picture . I have not updated the firmware , will this fix the problem? I also have flashlighting on the top left corner , will a firmware update fix this? Do flashlights go away over time? I have exchanged 7 tvs in the last 4 months and do not want to again. I have limited time to figure this stuff out before the 30 days run out!!!

EDIT: i will post pictures later (only got cellphone cam) , if i get the time .

· Registered
870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantmakeupmymind /forum/post/15419877

Question ...... I am experiencing the HALO effect with my 46incher . I can only notice it if i am 2/3 feet or more off center from the tv. Looks like a black line on each side running through the picture . I have not updated the firmware , will this fix the problem? I also have flashlighting on the top left corner , will a firmware update fix this? Do flashlights go away over time? I have exchanged 7 tvs in the last 4 months and do not want to again. I have limited time to figure this stuff out before the 30 days run out!!!

try a 42, or 50 inch plasma....after 7 tvs, you have "nothing to lose, and everything to gain" 7 sets in 4 months....you should be doing time for that crime.

· Registered
10,132 Posts
Only people who read the ridiculous posts on this LCD forum return otherwise good tvs 7 times in 4 months. This forum breads an unsubstantiated fear that any minor, anal performance related aspect is the end of the world - never mind if it's even visible during normal playback. Never mind if you spent 2 hours trying to create unnatural conditions to try and observe it based on something you read on this forum.

It's really quite sickening.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas /forum/post/15420711

Only people who read the ridiculous posts on this LCD forum return otherwise good tvs 7 times in 4 months. This forum breads an unsubstantiated fear that any minor, anal performance related aspect is the end of the world - never mind if it's even visible during normal playback. Never mind if you spent 2 hours trying to create unnatural conditions to try and observe it based on something you read on this forum.

It's really quite sickening.

agreed

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemath /forum/post/15420357

try a 42, or 50 inch plasma....after 7 tvs, you have "nothing to lose, and everything to gain" 7 sets in 4 months....you should be doing time for that crime.

crime? too many windows around for a plasma , i use my lcd as a monitor for my comp and game a lot .

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageha /forum/post/15420323

I'm surprised how many people panic about the shortcomings of LCDs. If you can't live with a LCD don't buy 7. Also it's not fair to return 7 sets in 4 months. Who is going to buy all your used TVs?

**** the cunts . Im just giving a better deal for us consumers with the marked down open box price .

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevToTheRedline /forum/post/15419902

Stop freaking returning TV's, this stuff is getting out of hand, LCD is not a perfect platform, enjoy what you have.

kkinda wish i never found out about this site . on the other hand, i wouldnt of got the calibration settings or found out about monoprice

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

· Banned
1,069 Posts
You have now posted 6 times in a row in a thread where you've admitted to returning 7 sets in 4 months.

There's no such thing as HALO on this set, it's all in your twisted mind.

Log off and take-up basket weaving instead.

· Registered
1,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd /forum/post/15429089

You have now posted 6 times in a row in a thread where you've admitted to returning 7 sets in 4 months.

There's no such thing as HALO on this set, it's all in your twisted mind.

Log off and take-up basket weaving instead.
So true. Seems that he has the money and time to buy, find fault with and return 7 sets, yet can't get a decent digital camera to take some screen shots with?

Give me a break.

· Registered
17 Posts
The halo question does show your ignorance about the nature of and new lexicon names for problems with LCDs. However, I have to say that some of the responses you have received are over the top.

If you spend three or four hours sifting through various threads here, you will read discussions and see a few images (some quite informative) which display and name halo, flashlights and clouds. These effects are all due to the non-uniformity of LCDs in creating a black image. They do show up in very normal viewing at night (in a darkened room) when the movie scene is very dark or when seeing credits on a black background. I hope to see an improvement in this with my next purchase.

I believe that most buyers will not be unhappy with this effect because all sets seem to have some non-uniformity, and some more than others. If it is very annoying to you when you are trying to enjoy your TV, then, as one member wrote in another thread, "Send it back", implying that these manufacturers have to learn about quality control.

I'm not sure that I subscribe to that, because although the manufacturers know that the blacks are acceptable to many customers, they also know that it is still not right, and they are working on other types of illumination (LED back-lights) and other technologies. Also, personally, after so many returns I would wonder if I should do more research or look at other types of sets.

I am about to purchase an XBR6 and am trying to sort all this out in advance in my head - but honestly, until I see the set in action (in my home, tweaked and showing some of my favorite material) I wont know for myself what is and what is not satisfactory.

Don't mind that you didn't have a good camera in hand, take your time and try to get some good photos and share them.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG /forum/post/15429259

So true. Seems that he has the money and time to buy, find fault with and return 7 sets, yet can't get a decent digital camera to take some screen shots with?

Give me a break.

So your suggesting i buy a better quality camera so that i can post pictures of my sets problems in higher clarity? Sounds like a waste of money to me . Let me clarify something , I havent gone through 7 xbr6's. I have gone through 2 xbr4 display models , 1 750 samsung , sharp tv and 2 xbr6's .

the xbr4's had terrible clouding and sparkles , the samsung 750 had input lag and halo effect , the first xbr 6 was good but i took it back because i found one last xbr4 at an insane discount . That xbr4 had the worst clouding i have ever seen , so i took it back and got another xbr6 . This xbr has problems that the first one didnt , which is why i started the questions , that no1 has even bothered to try answering .

· Banned
1,244 Posts
Sorry that we haven't been much help to you. I think it would be best to post a picture showing this "halo effect" on the XBR6 because I've never heard or seen that problem before. However, I'm quite sure that your XBR is faulty and needs fixing. You can either exchange it for another XBR if possible, or get it fixed (which I wouldn't recommend if you can get it replaced with a new one) A firmware might be able to fix it but it seems very unlikely, so maybe you should try it first and go on from there.

I apologize once again for all the responses and feedback you've read. I have much respect for you since going through 7 television would be frustrating and you have kept your patience.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.