AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 36xbr800 is cutting off some of the picture on the edges on standard definition (480i). I was thinking of using service mode to change the horizontal and vertical size and position just right. I have some questions.

1. Will changing the settings hurt my tv in any way? (i have written down orignal settings)

2. Are the settings per input or universal?

3. I have found 2 service things that control verical size. Which one should I use? (both got different values)

2170D-1 #0 VPOS Vertical Position

2170D-1 #1 VSIZE Vertical Size

2170D-1 #13 ASPT Vertical Size

2170D-1 #14 SCRL Vertical Offset

4. What does Vertical Offset do?

Thanks in advance I have learned a lot from reading this fourm.

·
Registered
10,326 Posts
VPOS and VSIZ appear to be global adjustments. IOW, they are sort of like the master control for all modes and signals. However their range of adjustment is rather limited.

ASPT and SCRL appear to be ASPECT RATIO (rather than signal) dependent. So they are apparently used to tweak the WideZoom, Zoom, 480Full, and 1080iFull modes independent of one another. ASPT is a vertical sizing control, and SCRL is a vertical position adjustment.

VPOS and VSIZ are sort of the ground zero for many other adjustments, so if you alter them, for better or worse, you may begin to disturb the delicate balance of some other geometry settings. It should be possible to undo this though by restoring their original settings. The VPOS and VSIZ settings will also distort the picture more than ASPT and SCRL. As far as I can tell, ASPT and SCRL do not upset other geometry settings.

FWIW, I believe there are also some signal-specific adjustments for 480i in the MID2 category:

DRHP

DRHS

DRVP

DRVS

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
To make the picture brighter, just use the regular menu and adjust the picture setting. You take a chance that you could really mess up your TV if you go into the service menu. If you still want to, search this forum and read alot before you start.

CJ

·
Registered
10,326 Posts
Agree with CJ. Boosting Contrast in the SM is something I'd really only consider as last resort. FWIW, there are couple ideas in Post #78 here on how to deal with contrast issues on CRTs in a bit more user-friendly manner. Here are the highlights:

1) decrease the ambient light in the viewing environment

2) increase the contrast on the display

If these aren't workable, then...

3) boost gamma or use enhanced (Standard/Vivid) modes on display.

4) boost gamma or contrast/white level, or use enhanced modes on DVD player/HTPC.

This may sound silly, but moving a bit closer to the TV might help as well.

Boosting contrast might also tend to shorten the lifespan of the phosphors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.