AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SA8300HD connected to a Sony XBR970 via HDMI and I'm really frustrated that the Wide Zoom setting is grayed out, even for SD programming. Is there another option? The SA8300 only has normal zoom itself.

Is this a HDMI limitation of the XBR970 or the 8300HD?

The only solution I've come across so far is that I also have the 8300HD connected via S-Video and when I switch inputs, I can use the Wide Zoom then switch back to HDMI for 16:9 (HD). But the problem here is that my wife is not that tech savvy and doesn't like having to deal with more steps just to get rid of the side bars and not have a severely distorted image.

Can I somehow enable Wide Zoom over HDMI in the service menu?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
The only reason I can think of that wide zoom would be unavailable is that the output of the SA8300HD is upconverting everything to an HD resolution (1080i/720p) on the HDMI output. The 970 then locks to FULL mode. This is either a setup problem or a limitation of the SA8300HD's HDMI output. It is very likely the setup. You need to setup your box to passthrough SD(480i). The HD Reception Forum has threads discussing the setup of your box. If it turns out that it is a limitation of your box's HDMI output, then you can try switching to component cables.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Widezoom isn't good anyways. Try Full instead.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by like.no.other. /forum/post/0

Widezoom isn't good anyways. Try Full instead.

I have found that Widezoom, a non-linear stretch, is the best mode for SD inputs. Using Full mode, a horizontal only stretch, on SD inputs creates an abnormal and ugly stretch.

Full mode should always be used for HD inputs and anamorphic DVDs. In fact, my HS510 locks into Full mode for these two types of inputs.

My statements are relative to a 16:9 screen. The 4:3 sets may have different zoom modes for these situations.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Well Wide Zoom isn't supported by the 970. So you either have Full, Zoom, Horizontal Stretch, Vertical Stretch.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Bull /forum/post/0

Let me elaborate. For 4:3 content, you get Normal, Full, Zoom, WideZoom.

For 16:9 content, you get the Full, Zoom, Horizontal Stretch, Vertical Stretch.

That's what I meant......

·
Registered
1,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Bull /forum/post/0

Let me elaborate. For 4:3 content, you get Normal, Full, Zoom, WideZoom.

For 16:9 content, you get the Full, Zoom, Horizontal Stretch, Vertical Stretch.

The OP had an issue with Widezoom not being available for SD programming. Evidently, his SD programming is being upconverted by his stb. IMHO, this is not the best configuration to be in. I believe SD programming is best input to the Sony sets in its original 480i format. This allows the DRC and MID, with their very good algorithms, to process the 480i for display. This also allows Widescreen mode, which is preferrable for SD content, to be used.

By definition HD content is 16:9 and should never require any other mode but FULL.

For the situation in which SD content has already been upconverted, with the addition of pillars, to HD resolutions by the network, Zoom is likely to inflict the least damage on the proportions of the SD frame.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
You CAN set your TV (SD) into Wide Zoom via HDMI. I have a Motorola HD/DVR box

and go to my settings and set 480i OVERRIDE into 480i instead of upconvert 720p

or 1080i. Refer to your box's settings how to get into setup.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After reading the documentation (on both the 970 and the stb) again, it does appear that the stb is upconverting every 480 signal to 1080i by default (over HDMI). I'm going to look at the setup controls tomorrow to see if I can override it. Thanks for the help, everyone.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by like.no.other. /forum/post/0

You CAN set your TV (SD) into Wide Zoom via HDMI. I have a Motorola HD/DVR box

and go to my settings and set 480i OVERRIDE into 480i instead of upconvert 720p

or 1080i. Refer to your box's settings how to get into setup.

I believe this is correct, even for the Comcast 6412. Set 480i Override to 480i and all SD content can take full advantage of the picture modes, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.