Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
rgathright,

You have not given much info to go.

Flyds is an excellent program and is not the problem.

What input are you using on the Xcapture Composit or Svideo ?

What resulution are you useing to capture?

What compression codec are you using and how is it setup?

I capture 720x576 PAL to Xvid 1Pass 95% quality and quality is very close to the original. Most people could not tell the difference.

Regards,

Owen

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Owen
rgathright,

You have not given much info to go.

Flyds is an excellent program and is not the problem.

What input are you using on the Xcapture Composit or Svideo ?

(I am using S-video)

What resulution are you useing to capture?

(I believe it is 640x480)

What compression codec are you using and how is it setup?

(I will have to check. I am not on that computer right now.)

I capture 720x576 PAL to Xvid 1Pass 95% quality and quality is very close to the original. Most people could not tell the difference.

(I know I am not using PAL and I will check the others items with your settings.

Regards,

Owen

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
rgathright,

640x480 is fine for NTSC

The compression codec is the most important thing.

Can you describe what is wrong with the picture?

I find that I need to lower Xcapture Contrast level by about 25% below default setting to get a good result.

Regards,

Owen

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Owen

I downloaded Zoomplayer and ffshow last night. I did not get to adjust it much, but the PQ with flyds and VitualVCR was a lot worse. It was having a split screen and was very blurry looking. The PQ using Dscaler or MyHD was the same, so something is affecting these two softwares. I assume it needs to have settings adjusted. I will try to play around with tonight.

What main settings should I adjust first?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
rgathright,

I'm a bit confused by your answer.

Did you say that PQ in Descaler is the same as FlyDS and VirtualVCR ??

You can use Fly or VirtualVCR to view live TV full screen.

You will have to set preview resolution to 640x480

Dose it look the same as Dscaler.? Good/bad ?

Have you set the correct TV standard in Fly etc.

It may not default to NTSC.

Regards,

Owen

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The PQ is a better with Dscaler than with the others. The PQ with VitualVCR and Flyds is worse since installing Zoomplayer and ffshow.

I do have Flyds set to NTSC.

The PQ with Flyds has a split screen look with a black line horizontally between the two pictures. The PQ with VitualVCR and AMCAP has a very bad blurry look to it.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
rgathright,

Quote:
The PQ is a better with Dscaler than with the others. The PQ with VitualVCR and Flyds is worse since installing Zoomplayer and ffshow.
Dscaler should be a little better as it can deinterlace.

It is not possable for Zoom Player or ffdshow to have any effect on viewing live TV. They are not used.

Do you mean playback quality of captured video.

If so how is the video compressed (what codec are you using) ??

You must install a compression codec and select it in the capture program.

If you have not, you are probably capturing uncompressed. That is not going to work. And will use about 25 Megabytes per second.

Examples of codec's are: Hufyuv, mjpeg, mpeg1, mpeg2, mpeg4, DV, etc

Regards,

Owen

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Owen

I was able to get the video back working with AMCAP and VitualVCR. The PQ with both of these are very good. I can also get a good PQ with Flyds, Dscaler and MyHD. I cannot get any video at all with VitualDub or SVCDCorder or Zoomplayer.

You asked what compression codec I am using. I do not know which one to use when doing a capture. I can get a capture using AMCAP and opening the video with Windows Media Player only. The problem is the playback PQ is not very good compared to what I am getting when viewing live TV.

I have tried several times with flyds and it does a capture, but have been unsuccessful to open any of them. I am using AVI for this capture.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is some info. I have got good PQ thru SVCDCorder, but could not capture anything. It comes up with (could not render filter. Smart>compression codec>flow meter).

With Zoomplayer I am still unable to get any video at all. When I try to open a AVI capture it comes up with this (Unable to create filters. This may be due to corrupt fil or missing decoder filter).

How do you adjust the contract with Xcapture?

Of course the PQ is the best with Dscaler, but I cannot capture anything with this software.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
rgathright,

The compression codec is the problem.

Windows dose not come with any good ones. You have to install them separately.

It dose not mater which program you use to capture you will still need to install the codec separately and select it for use in the capture program.

You can buy as many capture cards as you like but unless you get one with on board hardware compression you will have the same problems.

It now comes down to the speed of your PC .

All PC’s can use HUFYUV codec but you will need huge disk space as compression is only about 3:1 but the quality is perfect.

Slow computers under 1Gig can use Pic Video Mjpeg codec to save some disk space.

PC’s up to about 2Gig can use Morgan Mjpeg V3. Better quality than Pic Video for same disk space used.

PC’s over 2Gig can use DIVX or XVID codecs to same even more space on there drives and still have great quality.

Contrast and other adjustments are provided in the drivers for all capture cards.

You can access them from the capture program.

I am not on my home PC at the momment so I cant remember how to find them. Have a look they are in there.

Regards,

Owen

P.S. Don’t keep posting new threads on this problem. It is poor form. Stick to one.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a brand new Athlon 2000 (1.7 Ghz) computer made just for the purpose of a HTPC. It has a 120 GB hard drive.

Let me know what other info you need.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am beginning to think I still some software or programs.

Could someone tell me what software or programs I will need to capture video from satellite to hard drive and then to replay to my GWII through my HTPC.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.