Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!!

Need a capture card to receive from satellite receiver. Been thinking of these two cards. Would like to have some advice which to choose, going to use it with D-scaler.

My htpc is a P-III 450, 384 MB, ati radeon 7000 is that enough??

Looking forward to some answers.

/Nymann

·
Registered
767 Posts
The Osprey 100 wont work. The last time I checked, DScaler only supported the BT878 series cards. I've used the cards from Hauppauge and Pinacle Micro with good results. I use the same setup for DTV into my computers and projector too, works great!

Marc

·
Registered
767 Posts
As far as I know, they're both in PCs right now, the Pinacle card is a PC TV Studio and the Hauppague is a WINTV model. Both have SVideo in.

Marc

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am not familiar with the Osprey, but the XCapture works very well and costs just $39. The ASUS works even better, but costs $80. And this extra $40 also buys you a tuner (will it work in Sweden?), a remote and lots of software.

If I were you, I'd buy something with the newer CX881 chip instead of the old BT.

-T

·
Registered
898 Posts
i personally use the OSPREY 100..

i've also tested Terratec TV and an older hauppage card on my system

i can say taht the OSPREY leaves them in dust..

it's almost perfect.no noise..no problems

works 100% with dscaler

no audio, no tunner..just video in :)

the terratec was of really high quality too!

both worked flawlessly under DSCALER :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Nymann,

DScaler is pretty CPU intensive and you will not be able to take advantage of the most demanding algorithms with a PIII 450 MHz processor. You will need a processor at least twice as fast and preferably even faster for best results.

·
Registered
767 Posts
JinMTVT,

What version of DScaler? I thought the Osprey 100 uses a BT849. DScaler would not detect it. When manually set up I get a blue screen on SVideo in. Works fine with other software. I would really like to use the Osprey, can you give me the specifics of your setup?

Thanks,

Marc

·
Registered
898 Posts
just change the card setup ..

i had the same problem..the svideo worked only under composite input and without the chrominance channel :p

eehhe ..not really fun :p

choose a standard BT878 /hauppage 878 card

and it will work perfectly for both inputs

then go into advnaced flags..and check on full luma range and all the peaking options ( or else u'll have lots of problem setting correct gamma and contrast )

the rest works 100% like ti should be :)

enjoy the quality!!! :)

·
Registered
767 Posts
Thanks JinMTVT,

Going to try it now!

Marc

·
Registered
767 Posts
Works Great!! Better clarity than the other cards!!

Thanks JinMTVT

Marc

·
Registered
898 Posts
no problem!!

told you that the card really rucks!!

the quality is outstanding..can't see any annoying noises..

turnon the temporal noise filter..u'll be set after that with the MoComp deint :)

enjoy!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is a hard decision to make, have been reading a lot about the halo3d card and it looks great, but then you have the new version of d-scaler. But a need a better computer to take advantage of that.

I got two options D-scaler with xcapture and a better pc or the halo3d card. The money will almost be the same. But a get the SDI i halo3d and rebuild the dvd to sdi output must be the ultimate i picture quality (right?).

/Nymann

·
Registered
898 Posts
why don't u just buy a pc dvd rom drive for 30$ and get the ULTIMATE in picture?

i don't get the point of using SDI connection from an external expensive DVD when u can get it for almost free for the top quality on pc

neway

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi!

I all ready use a htpc but a need to upgrade it to a faster cpu, if a want to use d-scaler. Why am asking about the halo3d is that a want to and my satellite receiver to my Bg 801. But am thinking of the xcapture card with d-scaler but need more cpu power right. PIII 450 is not enough??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey JinMTVT

Can you please guide me getting capture card? Asus , xcapture or OSPREY 100???

where can I get OSPREY 100 card & how much does it cost?

·
Registered
213 Posts
As I posted in another thread - there's more to a good picture than just deinterlacing. The H3D card is VERY clean on all of its inputs (SVideo, SDI, Component). It's going to be tough for a cheap capture card to get the same level of input quality as the (much) more expensive Holo3D.

Another capture/tuner card that's getting alot of attention is the ASUS. Some people have posted that it has a cleaner noise level than the Xcapture. Perform a search on xcapture to find the thread.

Darryl

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you are considering the Holo3D, I'd recommend trying out the ASUS first. At a tenth of the cost, it is a small incremental investment. And after you see it, you may not want anything better.

Regards,

T

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.