AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on buying a Mitsu XD200 projector and thought I had the 'how it plugs / plays' questions answered.

I was reading the projector's users' manual and didn't find a 'video display aspect' control as I expected -- to switch between 16:9 and 4:3 input sources. it does have an 'anamorphic' setting whose use I'm confused about.

So a couple of questions:

1) will it select the correct aspect per the signal it receives -- full screen if 4:3 and full-width if 16:9 ?

B) my RP56 DVD player has the option to set the display aspect -- I'm assuming I should leave that set to 16:9.

When is the XD200's 'anamorphic' feature used and in conjunction w/ what DVD player aspects?

is this to compensate for a dvd player which can't switch its display aspect ...?

some discussion here would be most appreciated, as well as any opinions about the xd200.

thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mark,

I have an XD200 with a non progressive DVD player feeding it. I have the DVD set to display 16:9 and the Anapmorphic setting on the XD200 turned on . This yields a widescreen image. If I feed it from a non widescreen source (TV etc) I simply turn off the Anamorphic function and it displays a 4:3 image.

Dags

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dags,

thanks for that -- a few followups -- w/ anamorphic off it simply produces a full-frame 4:3 image?

what does it do if you display your 16:9 DVD w/o specifying 'anamorphic'?

and how does it matter if the DVDs are anamorphic or not ?

how do you like your XD200 ?

thanks again, and hopefully not confused for long,

Mark

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Quote:
what does it do if you display your 16:9 DVD w/o specifying 'anamorphic'?
Image will look stretched vertically with thin and tall people.
Quote:
how does it matter if the DVDs are anamorphic or not?
If not truely "anamorphic" or "enhanced for widescreen", then "16:9" mode of DVD player won't stretch the image so when the PJ squishes the image in its "anamorphic" mode, image will look vertically squished with short and fat people. These nonanamorphic DVDs are also called "matte" or "letterboxed" DVDs (less common on newer tittles).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Also if you set the DVD player to play 4:3 letterbox, on a 16:9 DVD, without the Anamorphic setting on, you will gert a 4:3 image letterboxed down to the widescreen movie (not that you ever would want to do this, it just indicates the treatment by the projector of the signal sent to it).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mark,

I just noticed I didn't answer one of your questions - I love the XD200. The picture is wonderful with very bright vibrant colors. The high Lumens was a real plus for me as I cannot fully control ambient light during the day. Also the fan is very quiet which is a real sore point with me and projectors.

I'm no videophile so projecting it onto a light blue/grey wall yields what I consider a superb image (when we had a demo the dealer had the same paint on his walls, so we had him raise the screen and project straight onto the walls without any noticeable drop in picture quality).

I'm hoping to post some screen shots this weekend.

Dags

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dags,

thanks for that reply -- it's good to hear you like your xd200.

you mentioned the high lumen output makes it easier to live with during the day -- exactly what I'm looking for.

I do wonder if I'm going to be blinded at night, though.

how much light do you supply to the room (how much wattage?) at night, or do you watch it in a totally dark room?

my questions about how it works w/ the RP56 were mainly to understand if it would play 16:9 from my dvd player, and, what to set the dvd player to (4:3 or 16:9)

I was hoping the XD200 would automatically switch from 4:3 to 16:9 when I switch the input source from my dish satellite (NTSC 4:3) receiver to the dvd player set on 16:9.

screen shots would be great! -- and I would appreciate if you'd count up the wattage of the lights you do have on when you watch it at night ... and mention if they're incandescent or flourescent.

thanks again,

Mark

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mark,

I actually have all the lights in our lounge room turned off. There is some light filtering in from our kitchen (100 watt globe) but it is fairly limited in terms of the ambient light seeping in. I haven't noticed being blinded, but there is a bit of reflected light from the image thrown onto the roof (because of the layout of our lounge room I have the top of the image just below the top of the ceiling). This bothered me initially, but now I don't even notice it. Often if we are eating while watching a movie we will have a 75 watt globe on behind us (in a hall), and this has no real impact on the clarity of the image (although I prefer all the lights out!!)

I also have an issue with 16:9 and 4:3 in so much as the "screen" area on my wall is 16:9 in shape, with an entertainment unit immediately below the image (and the roof above it) in 16:9 mode. I positioned the projector deliberately this way as I wanted the projector for DVD's 99.9% of the time. This means for the odd time I want to watch a 4:3 source (very few DVD's, sporting final etc), I have to "squish" the image into the 16:9 window. Not ideal, but given how infrequent this is I probably won't bother with lenses etc to get around it.

Dags

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dags,

I'm still puzzled about what I'll see when I watch my 4:3 dish network receiver, vs. my dvd player which might be 4:3 for the older movies or 16:9 for all the newer ones.

[ what I need is for someone to complete the matrix of:

xd200 not set to anamorphic, vs set to anamorphic, and,

4:3 input source vs. 16:9 input source ].

I'll be setting up a 4:3 screen and project the 16:9 movies centered vertically in it.

I expect I'll be setting the dvd player to 16:9 and the pj to anamorphic for new movies;

I set the dvd player to 4:3 and turn off anamorphic in the pj for old movies in 4:3;

and for 4:3 broadcasts, anamorphic off in the pj.

[ I know, I'm trying too hard; I need to relax. or take a whack in the head ... I expect that 1/2 hour playing w/ the damned thing will answer my questions, but that's ~ 1 month away ...]

the good news is that the prices keep going down -- $3700 - $4200 US, down from $4500+ a month or two ago.

thanks for sticking w/ me,

Mark

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mark,

You've done the matrix of ratios yourself - you are spot on. My dillema is because the screen area is 16:9 only given my ceiling mount position. As I don't watch much 4:3 it isn't a real issue for me. Since you'll have a 4:3 screen, this shouldn't be an issue for you either.

Dags

·
Registered
46 Posts
The specs per the manual are:

Mode - Horizontal refresh (kHz), Vertical refresh (Hz), Normal mode (HxV)

1080i - 33.75, 60, 1024x576

720p - 45, 60, 1024x576

525p - 31.47, 59.94, 1024x768

These mean nothing to me, but I hope it helps.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
to add a bit to Dags' reply, 'support' for higher resolutions should be considered against its native 1024 x 768 (4:3) resolution:

it will scale 480p video up, which is good -- it adds scan lines. HDTV will be scaled _down_ -- dropping some. I can't recall the real pixel (row, column) count for the different resolutions.

Scaling can introduce artifacts -- one SVGA player (800x600) was reviewed and did very well w/ 480p -- it used a subset of the SVGA display, and w/o scaling and produced a very sharp picture in spite of the lower resolution specs. depends on what you want to watch.

the xd200 has been said to scale very well.

also note that digital keystone correction shouldn't be used as that also represents some scaling/shifting of the image -- another opportunity for the scaler to screw things up.

-M.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.