AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using the Mitsubishi XD200 Projector with the Toshiba SL-9200 DVD Player, and I am experiencing a couple wierd situations.

1. I cannot change the computer Signal input from RGB to Y/Cb/Cr. The projector will not allow me to change the setting. It is connected just as shown on page 10 in the owners manual. Mitsubishi Tech Support has been less-than-helpful on this issue.

2. When I activate the Computer input on the Projector, and then the Progressive output on the DVD player, I get a green Picture. No other colors, just green? When I change the DVD setting to "Interlaced Progressive" I get a good picture with proper colors etc... What's up? I do not have enough experience to know if I'm getting a Progressive scanned image or not? It looks awful good, but I wonder if it could be better?

When I activate the Interlaced Progressive on the Toshiba SL-9200, am I sending a progressive scanned image to the projector or not?

Excuse my ignorance on some of these issues, as I am now a novice at these connections & settings issues. It is the combination of the settings on the Projector, and the settings on the DVD player that gets confusing to me.

I am willing to e-mail the owners manuals (in Pdf Format) to anyone that could help me with the best possible settings with my system to achieve the best possible picture quality. I will also pay for the time to help if that is necessary. I'm getting zilch help from Mitsubishi.

Thank you to anyone that is willing to offer suggestions.

MJT

·
Registered
280 Posts
MJT:

Do you have to use a component to VGA cable from the Tosh, or does the Mits have actual component inputs? Sometimes PJ's which have not been on the market long have signal recognition problems that slipped past the engineers. New projector models almost always have bugs in them. I had an Optoma 755 only a few days after its American release, and it had all kinds of problems (as well as the most useless manual ever written).

The bottom line is this: if the Mits manual says that the projector does 480p, then someone--either at Mits or at your dealer--will have to make it work or they will have to give you your money back.

Another possible point is that the DCDi deinterlacer may actually NEED a 480i signal in order to kick in (in the same way that a Quadscan will not work with a progressive input), and that may be Mits's way of living up to the 480p claim.

I am interested in what you find out, since I have a Tosh 9100 and am also considering the XD200. But I also have a new HTPC ready to go, and that raises a whole new line of questioning. If one uses HTPC, is the Faroudja completely bypassed? I had the Sanyo 711Xu for a while, and fed it with the Faroudja-chip-equipped Panasonic RP56 and my Toshiba 9100, as well as HTPC. Except for the chroma bug in the Tosh, the Tosh without DCDi was superior to the RP56, and the HTPC with Radeon 7500 was far better than either DVD player.

Much of what I have said in this response is not a direct answer to your question, but I thought it might help to bring up a few things which you may be considering with your Mits.

Best of luck.

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike, Thanks for the input!

Yesterday I finally got to talk with a friendly voice at Mitsubishi (Harry), and he enlightened me a lot. If I set the Toshiba to "Interlaced Progressive", the Toshiba is doing the line doubling. If I turn off the line doubler on the Toshiba, and switch the Mitsubishi to Video Mode 3 (line doubler mode), then the Mitubishi XD200 does the line doubling.

Harry said I may notice slightly different performances from these two settings, but they both should be better than non-interlaced. I plan to experiment with this over the next few weeks or so.

I must admit that the picture on the XD200 is Very Good. The color saturation is excellent. My old Projector which was a Davis Cinema One could not come close to the XD200, and I paid less than half of what I paid for the Davis. A big plus for me was the 2000 Lumen output. I am using the projector in a Family-Room with many windows, and it is very nice to be able to watch without completely closing the windows. Very Nice! I am sure that within the next 5 years or so, there will be a triple chip DLP Projector with light output of 3-4000 Lumens at an asking price of $2000 or less. I can't wait.

As a bit of a novice, the confusing thing for me is the combination of the settings on the DVD Player, and the settings on the Projector. It can be overwhelming to understand the complexities.

Thanks again for the input.

MJT

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.