AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure that anyone would find this interesting, but I decided to post a few pics anyway.

A friend of mine has a pair of NHT Xds speakers.

These passive crossovers were designed by Zaph.

I almost used some breadboard (prototyping circuit board), but I didn't like the price I saw at Fry's Electronics.

So, I decided to use some 1/4" MDF I had on hand in the garage.

After cutting them to size at 5" x 7", I sprayed some primer.

Then, I sprayed some metallic paint, followed by a couple of coats of clear.

One is done, except for the lead-in cables.

Both are done except for the lead-in cables, which I will add later.

Now I need a box. Well, two boxes.

I'm preparing to resaw some Mahogany.

Resawn to just over 1/2" thick.

Planed. That's as far as I got today.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Cool, I always enjoy your DIY threads because it makes me want to get in the garage and try something out!

A passive crossover with the XdS makes me a little sad inside though.
This is probably the easiest option if you were only able to pick up the satellite module, unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
25,516 Posts
"A passive crossover with the XdS makes me a little sad inside though."

Yeah, I don't get it, it's like replacing fuel injection w/a carburetor.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc /forum/post/18212186

Cool, I always enjoy your DIY threads because it makes me want to get in the garage and try something out!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc /forum/post/18212186

A passive crossover with the XdS makes me a little sad inside though.
This is probably the easiest option if you were only able to pick up the satellite module, unfortunately.

Yeah, too bad an Xda is not available or affordable.

These passives will at least give my friend a chance to give them a listen.

Maybe someday he might go with a DCX2496, or DriveRack PA.

In the meantime, I'm sure there's something you can be building in the garage. Just remember to get some pics for us.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz /forum/post/18212341

"A passive crossover with the XdS makes me a little sad inside though."

Yeah, I don't get it, it's like replacing fuel injection w/a carburetor.

Well, if it gets you down the road for now, then you can save up for the fuel injection and the chip upgrade for the engine.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Oh man, I've been waiting for this thread!

I'm the guy PassingInterest is building these for, and I'm pretty excited simply because I've never heard a speaker that some of the audiophiles claim to be great. These are for the actual units that Zaph did his measurements on.

No worries about ever getting any type of active crossover system. After Zaph designed these crossovers, he said the Xds speakers sounded extremely nice. He also said Jack Hidley's crossover was great too, but we thought it might make sense to build Zaph's crossovers simply because he did measurements on these actual drivers and enclosures.

If these sound excellent to Zaph and Jack H, they should blow me away.

No doubt I owe PassingInterest a big favor for helping me out with these. Having never built a crossover before, I didn't want these speakers to be my experiment. Then I can see how it all goes together for future builds.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Once again...envy and drool at the same time! I personally think DIY is just that. Do it yourself (or have a friend do it who has more skills than you do!). Erich H, that is no jab at you. Actually, it's a compliment!

The passive cross-over will allow anyone to listen to those speakers without the Xda. Kinda like getting a new HD TV and not having HD service. What...you won't watch TV with your standard def signal? Nope. I am watching TV with standard def or listening to my speakers with passive cross-overs until I can afford to make it better! Better yet, if I can ever afford it! :) Sorry to rant...

Again Passing, you build amazing stuff! If I were able to give out ribbons for quality, you would get the blue ribbon!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickel /forum/post/18214415

I have been looking at Dewalt planers, Can you use wood with knots or does it have to be clean?

Knots can pose a problem, but I've planed knotted boards on this DW735.

First, check for any loose knots.

If you find any loose knots, you can either pop them out and then glue them back in after planing, followed by sanding the knot level with the surface, or glue the knots in securely before planing. I've done both.

If you don't find any loose knots, a knot might get knocked loose while planing, and you can glue it back in, but the knot won't be such a perfect fit anymore, because it will have been damaged by the planer blades.

To reduce the likelyhood of problems with knotted wood, take shallow cuts.

Oh, and be prepared to deal with a lot of sawdust when you surface plane.

One tip on the DeWalt planers--you have to keep the surface which the wood slides along on waxed, or the wood won't feed well, it will keep binding.

So, keep the surface clean of any pitch from pine boards or any other contaminiation will increase the resistance or "drag" on the wood, and keep it waxed. I use a car wax which has teflon in it. It seems to slide easier.

One last thing--to reduce snipe, get the infeed and outfeed extensions, or make your own extended table.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku14139268520 /forum/post/18217329

PassingInterest!

Once again, a fine job to say the least.

And once again........I'll be watching you.

A little creepy if i must say.......LOL

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingInterest /forum/post/18221138

Haha! I thought it felt like a 6-string devotee was looking over my shoulder!

*Plays a wailing solo*

That was for you man.

Those boxes came out nice, such intricate work for mere boxes
........I like that.

On another note, you take great pics.

P.S.

Sorry about poking you in the back with the extra string hanging off my guitar's headstock......I need to trim those bastards.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Dang PassintInterest, I didn't expect a box for the crossover as well! I figured you'd just be soldering all the components to a board and call it a day. Looks like you went above and beyond on yet another build.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H /forum/post/18226619

Dang PassintInterest, I didn't expect a box for the crossover as well! I figured you'd just be soldering all the components to a board and call it a day. Looks like you went above and beyond on yet another build.

I guess I can't help myself.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Are you retired, no kids at home, have an understanding wife lol? Somethings got to give! To be able to produce work of this quality takes TIME! I only work about 3 days a week and theres no way i could find the time to dedicate to have results like this. Im truely envious of the equipment and skills you possess! Have you ever posted a pic of your setup(speakers) in place?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts