AVS Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a burning question about the XA2 (or XE1 EU model, like mine):

At this moment I have the 2.7 firmware installed on the Toshiba. Here's the 'problem':

1. When chosing 1080p/24p in the menu of the Toshiba the following happens:

a. HD-DVD's play fine (@23,9... reported by my Epson TW2000 projector)

b. Region 1 NTSC dvd's play fine (@23,9... reported by my Epson TW2000 projector).

c. Region 2 PAL dvd's stutter like hell.

Point c. can be simple explained because a PAL dvd is 25fps so 23,9... gives troubles. Point b. is aslo explained because a NTSC dvd is 23,9...fps (ONLY bonus material is 29,9... fps! Most people think NTSC dvd's are 29,9... but the movie itself is really 23,9...fps!)

2. When chosing 1080p/24p in the menu of the Toshiba the following happens:

a. HD-DVD's don t stutter but my projector reports 59,90Hz and this is NOT what we want for HD-DVD's, we want 23,9...fps!)

b. Region 1 NTSC dvd's play fine but my projector reports 59,90Hz and this is NOT what we want for NTSC dvd's, we want 23,9...fps!)

c. Region 2 PAL dvd's play fine and my projector reports 49,90Hz which is perfect because this is a multiple of 25fps when should give no motion troubles/stutter.

One thing that I immediately noticed and think is strange is that in option 2. the PAL dvd's are multiplied my my projector to 49,90Hz but the NTSC dvd's are NOT multiplied (to eg. 48Hz).

So I think that in scenario 2.a. and 2.b. a 3:2 pulldown is beeing done by my projector => this could cause judder.

So WHY did Toshiba Europe didn t count this problem in? I mean, they KNOW that people in Europe will play standard def. PAL dvd's but forcing the XE1 @24p causes serious judder issues.

Is there a solution for this problem?

I DO have a workaround but this irritates my a little
. The workaround is when playing a PAL dvd change the setting of the XE1 from 1080p/24p to 1080p and when watching NTSC dvd or HD-DVD's change it back to 1080p/24p.

Sorry for the not so good English but hope you guys understand my story.

Thanks for all help and suggestions!

Greetings......

1 - 1 of 1 Posts