AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I've been using an X-Fi Elite Pro on an nForce4 SLI motherboard for many months now, and I never got the infamous case of snap, crackle and pop. These characteristics make for one hell of a breakfast cereal though.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 /forum/post/0

I've been using an X-Fi Elite Pro on an nForce4 SLI motherboard for many months now, and I never got the infamous case of snap, crackle and pop. These characteristics make for one hell of a breakfast cereal though.

Same here. Several months of use and it plays without problems.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
how is the software that comes with it? are there like 5 separate driver install packs, 3 tray icons, and 2 splash screens on load up?

/shivers at old SB Audigy

·
Registered
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty L /forum/post/0

how is the software that comes with it? are there like 5 separate driver install packs, 3 tray icons, and 2 splash screens on load up?

/shivers at old SB Audigy

I really don't remember much about the CDs included with the X-Fi, but it was really simple to just install what you want. You can simply just install the core drivers and the "Creative Console Launcher."

The launcher lets you change between the three listening modes. It also includes a fairly comprehensive speaker calibration and bass management setup. Among the usual volume adjustments, there is a neat option to adjust the volume of EAX effects, so that these effects can be accentuated or attenuated (even muted) to a degree that you like.

·
Registered
7,959 Posts
Yup i have the platinum and its great, along with my striker extreme, never any problems

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm thinking of getting this card as well. My motherboards onboard sound won't play well with games. How do you guys have yours hooked up? Mines will be going to a 7.1 A/V receiver.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renagade /forum/post/0

I'm thinking of getting this card as well. My motherboards onboard sound won't play well with games. How do you guys have yours hooked up? Mines will be going to a 7.1 A/V receiver.

I have my X-Fi connected to a Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi via SPDIF and 7.1 analog. I use SPDIF for DD, DTS, and WMA9 Pro bitstreams, and analog for everything else (e.g., games).

The X-Fi handles the decoding of legacy codecs really well, but my receiver has more processing and room correction options.

·
Registered
11 Posts
do any of the games that you play support 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound? and would i need a standalone sound card to send 7.1 surround sound to my onkyo receiver or could my onboard sound from my motherboard do it via optical?

·
Registered
419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto316 /forum/post/0

do any of the games that you play support 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound? and would i need a standalone sound card to send 7.1 surround sound to my onkyo receiver or could my onboard sound from my motherboard do it via optical?

sound in games on computers isn't quite like the console world. Like msmith described as having it hooked up via 7.1 analog out and digital, doing surround sound in games via digital doesn't happen much (with only limited exceptions like the nforce 2 soundstorm motherboards and some newer non-creative sound cards) as it requires something to encode it into a digital stream (dolby digital/dts) so for the most part, getting 5.1/7.1 sound in games can only be done though analog outputs..as far as support in games goes, as long as the game supports some kind of 3d sound format (openal, directsound 3d for example) the game itself shouldn't care how many speakers you have hooked up since the sound card will render things accordingly

·
Registered
296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 /forum/post/0

I have my X-Fi connected to a Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi via SPDIF and 7.1 analog. I use SPDIF for DD, DTS, and WMA9 Pro bitstreams, and analog for everything else (e.g., games).

The X-Fi handles the decoding of legacy codecs really well, but my receiver has more processing and room correction options.

MSmith83, what version of the card do you have? Do they have one with SPDIF out without the breakout box?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I use the xfi elite pro with the gigaworks s750 7.1 surround speakers and the sound for games movies music and home recording studio is just amazing.However I havn't upgraded to vista yet and by the looks of thing I don't think Ill ever be able to get full functionality with this card in vista.Creative isn't interested in giving us anything more than basic beta drivers and apperantly has no plans to take vista support for these cards any further.I realy hope they get their heads out of their arses but as it stands realtec onboard audio will currently outpreform creative cards in vista.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts