AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am experiencing frustration with a Motorola MX011ANM X1 cable box/dvr. All the audio is horribly compressed.

I see no option for turning off the dynamic range compression like there is on virtually every DVD or Blu Ray player ever made.

I understand they must compress so people can watch on any old TV without losing the dialog, but it really cheapens the home theater experience to the point of wanting to just throw the thing out the window.

Has anyone figured out if there is some on-line option or in-box option to turn it off? Is there some way to access uncompressed version of the programming from Xfinity on-demand instead? Some parameter to select in the customer profile/preferences? Anything at all to get around it?

Or have they actually done the unthinkable and applied the compression globally?:confused::(

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Are you sure it's really an X1 box; I didn't think the X1 system was on any Moto units. (thought they were Pace)
Does your prog guide have the TV Guide logo in it - if so, it's NOT X1.

I DO know that on the legacy (TVG) boxes, there IS an Audio settings submenu, under the Settings menu, where the audio compression can be changed. Normally it's defaulted to "medium", I believe. But you can go in & turn it off completely...which I always do when I setup ones for friends/clients. It DEFINITELY makes a difference in the audio quality/compression!

If your box really is X1, I am not that familiar with it; (I still have a TVG DVR myself) hopefully someone else will chime in... :)

edit: found this link on the X1; it doesn't look like there is a compression setting in it's audio setup menu...but did you go there & look?
http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-audio-output

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Be careful what you wish for. Xfinity in our neck of the woods isn't very CALM compliant (the local inserted commercials are VERY LOUD) and I use HTPCs on my TVs so I have to turn on the 'volume leveler' on the TV at night. When my current reduced price (1 year at half price for an outage during an NFL playoff game) is up I'll probably ***** about it... :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts