AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I've been a lurker on the forums for a while now but finally made an account. I have the Xfinity X1 setup in my house and have been using one of the Wireless Xi6 boxes with my own modem/router (non-standard Xfinity install). I'm hoping this is the best place for this topic. I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with MoCa network diagnostics.

My setup involves using my own modem & router (Netgear CM1150V and R6700) with an Actiontec MoCa Adapter (ECB6200S02) to bond the MoCa network to the WiFi for the Xi6. I actually got this Idea from this forum here AVS Forum - Comcast Technology Topic. I think I lucked out with my install because the Comcast/Xfinity tech was familiar with this method, he actually said the boxes shouldn't need MoCa, but we later learned that all the DVR comes through the MoCA.

Anyways, this setup has served me well for about 2 years now, but lately I've been running to some issues that I would like some tips to diagnose. About half a month or so ago, I started having connection issues with the box. The box would loose connection and struggle to re-connect (it would be solved by restarting the box and the router). Upon reconnecting, it would work 100% normal for about 24-hours but then after that the DVR/On-Demand streaming would drop out (these services still load, but only play through about 30-seconds and then just repeat the same 30-seconds), live TV is still streaming okay. It's my understanding that some of these services come from online, and others come through the MoCa.

I went into the Diagnostics on the Wireless Xi6 and it says "Moca Interface not available", on my main X1 set top box though it seems to be showing transmission rates for 3 devices (photo attached).

Some theories I have for the sudden onset of issues are:
  1. Firmware update by Xfinity to the Xi6 is messing with this setup since Xfinity expects you to use their combo modem/router for the Wireless streaming. The firmware on the Xi6 is dated 2/4/2021
  2. Hardware failure of the Actiontec ECB6200S02 preventing the Xi6 from seeing the main XG2 main set top box. This could be either with the Actiontec itself or with the Antronix CMC2002H-A splitter going to the Actiontec & Modem.
  3. Hardware failure of the Xi6. Especially since at times the Xi6 just totally drops out (problem with connection, error message RDK-03088). The tech that initially installed it said it should still pull video from online even without MoCa, so I'm not sure why when it drops out everything goes, but sometimes it's only DVR/On-Demand content.
I was hoping someone may have some ideas or steps I can take to try to isolate what is causing the issue. I did order a new Antronix MMC1002H-B splitter since it's advertised as MoCA 2.0 compliant. Haven't received it yet to try and swap it out. Looking for anyone else that may have some suggestions for things to try, or if I'm really lucky some sort of advance tech support from Xfinity.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Unless it changed, the DVR is done on the cloud server (the XG2 doesn't have much local storage). Do you have anything plugged into the ethernet port on the XG2? When I used to install for Comcast in 2019, that would break all sorts of MoCA connections randomly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! No, I don’t have anything in the Ethernet of the XG2.

It definitely appears to be random, which makes it frustrating but it has been less frequent so that’s a plus.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We'll work on the assumption that this is using MoCA to communicate. Where is the MoCA filter installed? is it at the ground block? is it at the input of the splitter feeding your cable equipment?
Are those PHY rates that you see in that diag screen consistently at that rate? Do they often show lower? Should there even be 3 devices on your MoCA network? More questions than answers, but hopefully those questions spur an A-Ha moment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts