AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I already have the XG1v4 DVR and want to add a second 4k box for an additional TV. The Xi6 is less expensive but wireless apparently. Is the quality comparable or is a second XG1v4 DVR with a coax connection a better option? 4K over wireless does not seem ideal. Is the XG1v4 have a wireless or network connection? If not, how would it work as a hub?

I talked to an agent but have little confidence in their knowledge. If I get an Xi6, can I self install? Does the XG1v4 function as the hub?

Edit: I talked to two Xfinity support agents. The first told me I could add either the XG1v4 or the Xi6 in exchange for the current box on a 2nd TV I want to get 4K on.

I was skeptical due to the article linked below and called a second agent. He was beyond clueless. First told me I could use the Xi6. I told him I had my own modem and wireless systems and did not want and did not have the Xfinity wireless hub. I was told a second time it was OK. I again explained I didn't see how that would work, where would the wireless connection come from? I was told on multiple occasions to go to the store. My experience with the stores is they get the same training the agents do, little to none. Couldn't get him to pass me to a higher level tech. after a half hour, a relatively short call for Xfinity, I was told there was no way I could get a second 4K box without their hub, not even a second XG1v4. I don't believe that is correct. Can any companies customer service be worse than Xfinity?

This article came up in a search.

https://www.lightreading.com/video/...ing-box-for-broadband-only-subs/d/d-id/747425

Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I already have the XG1v4 DVR and want to add a second 4k box for an additional TV. The Xi6 is less expensive but wireless apparently. Is the quality comparable or is a second XG1v4 DVR with a coax connection a better option? 4K over wireless does not seem ideal. Is the XG1v4 have a wireless or network connection? If not, how would it work as a hub?

I talked to an agent but have little confidence in their knowledge. If I get an Xi6, can I self install? Does the XG1v4 function as the hub?

Edit: I talked to two Xfinity support agents. The first told me I could add either the XG1v4 or the Xi6 in exchange for the current box on a 2nd TV I want to get 4K on.

I was skeptical due to the article linked below and called a second agent. He was beyond clueless. First told me I could use the Xi6. I told him I had my own modem and wireless systems and did not want and did not have the Xfinity wireless hub. I was told a second time it was OK. I again explained I didn't see how that would work, where would the wireless connection come from? I was told on multiple occasions to go to the store. My experience with the stores is they get the same training the agents do, little to none. Couldn't get him to pass me to a higher level tech. after a half hour, a relatively short call for Xfinity, I was told there was no way I could get a second 4K box without their hub, not even a second XG1v4. I don't believe that is correct. Can any companies customer service be worse than Xfinity?

Thank you.

I am replying to this old thread to provide correct information in case someone lands here with the same question. The Xi6 requires a XG1v4 DVR so that it can be used as an additional cable outlet in the home. You must have an Xfinity issued modem and Internet service for the Xi6 to connect to, whether it is connecting it wireless or via the Ethernet port.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Checking in to see if Xfinity has added support for two 4K TV's, and two 4K boxes(XG1v4). I strongly prefer not to subscribe to Xfinitys' wireless hub. Thanks.

·
Registered
613 Posts
The Xi6 requires a XG1v4 DVR so that it can be used as an additional cable outlet in the home. You must have an Xfinity issued modem and Internet service for the Xi6 to connect to, whether it is connecting it wireless or via the Ethernet port.
I am funning an Xi6 no problem without an Xfinity issued modem. I do have an XG1v4 in another room, and I do have Xfinity internet service. However, I use my own modem and router.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts