AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with the XFX raid cards ? They claim to be secure and have parity, but they only list 0, 1,3 and JBOD.

They are driverless meaning the aray could easily(?) be moved from one machine to another. Also they claim to have on line expansion to allow "users to seamlessly increase capacity by adding up to five drives"

They also have different versions for Multimedia, gamers and pro musicians. What's up with that?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have one, what they call raid 3 is what the rest of us call raid 5. The different version are for 3 or 5 drives and have different amounts of onboard memory.

The performance is excellent, this is my first raid card with a xor processor having previously used highpoint ide and sata versions. The array initializes in minutes not hours, allows OCE. Writes seem very quick, far far better than the highpoint cards. I have the 5 port "musician" version with 512mb on card ram which acts as a big cache for the dardrives.

Installs in windows as a conventional hardrvive but I've not moved it between machines yet.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Quote:
I have the 5 port "musician" version with 512mb on card ram which acts as a big cache for the dardrives.
You meant 64mb? 512mb on raid card is a BIG deal.

Quote:
The array initializes in minutes not hours
i am impress for a pci 32 bits raid card.. if that's a foreground initz.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
That's a typo i believe. All XFX Raid storage series has 64mb only from their website and i don't think they can sell 512mb cache for such low price.

If background Intz, you should able to use the array right away, so does rebuilding. Foreground Intz is another story, it could be half a day even with top of the line raid card depend on how many drives in that array (Raid 5)

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I had a harddrive crap out taking my Music collection with it so I bit the bullet on this card. Should be here by the end of the week. Configuration question... I ordered 2 300Gb drives and have a 250 and 200 already. It is my understanding that this card will allow me to set up a raid 3 array of 4 drives matching the smallest single drive in the array and the remainder of each drive will be available as a seperate partition. So I will have a 600Gb raid 3 "partition" [ (n-1)*smallest] and three unraided partitions from the remainder- one 50Gb and two 100Gb.

Is this correct? If not, no big deal, I'll still have 600Gb of raid protected capacity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.