Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a stupid question

I want to hang my XG using unistrut. Is it OK to remove the feet and use those mounting points to hang her upside down or do I have to hook up somehow to the factory ceiling mount points?

Thanks in advance

Steve

·
Registered
838 Posts
If I were you, I would ONLY use the specified mounting points. The projector usually sits directly above one of the bests seat in the theater (depending on your room size) and you would hate to crush one of your guests or children with your projector. I am currently hanging a 220 pound Sony on my ceiling and have added a 4 x 10 beam into the attic to help support the beast (possibly a little over kill, but better safe than sorry).

The factory specified mounting points are designed to handle the load. Make sure you use the right grade bolts/screws for the job as well. Many people have successfully used lag screws to hang projectors. Just make sure you add in a little safety margin.... Most manuals suggest designing the mount to handle five times the load.

Good luck.

Ed

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Steve,

I can't say for sure, but on Dougs advice, that's OK for a PG. I did it that way and it works fine. Do the feet on an XG thread into blind nuts like a PG?

Chip S.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Steve,

I mounted my XG by removing the feet, and using unistrut and threaded rod. I haven't had any problems with it. It's been up for about 2 months and is rock solid.

I made sure to use washers and nuts at the projector itself to secure the threaded rod at the projector. I marked the threaded rod at the same length as the feet to make sure I didn't screw the threaded rod in too far.

It was pretty easy to mount it this way. When Terry was doing my setup, he thought this would be OK also.

Casey Mershon

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm looking at ceiling mounting my XG75 and, without going into too much detail, intended to use the threaded bushes that the feet normally screw in to. On close inspection of these I would not solely rely on them. They are expanded into the relatively thin aluminium base plate of the projector and normally expected to take the load in the opposite direction. The whole assembly is designed with this in mind. I intend to add some additional fixings by drilling through parts of the base plate that include the steel inner panel. It is in one of these areas that the proper fixing brackets fit.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.