AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have two XG-C50X's projecting the same image in two sides of an auditorium for 200-300 people. Couldn't get the brightness the same on both screens. Worked through the bulb life controls, lamp life timer, power save mode (I was sure that was it), then sent them both to a local certified repair station to get them "calibrated" and they came back with no change except they said they "broke" and replaced the mirror on the bright one (elements delaminated), and now, over the last year, there is a green central area when that projector is set to black screen during parts of the pastors sermon. The green area is progressively getting larger and brighter. Very distracting. We have put new bulbs in, reset the timers, adjusted the power, etc. Now what? Do we just need a new mirror? New black screen parts? Or just reset everything yet again?

I have not opened the case myself yet so I'm not sure of how the black screen works - if that is a mechanical mechanism or electronic. Note that there are no maintenance indicators showing.

Thanks, any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Sounds like it could be a dust blob. LCD's are notorious for this and replacing the mirror may/or may not have contributed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, finally had time to tear down both of our (expensive) projectors. The green screen described in a previous post, covers about the middle 1/2 of the screen now. There were no dust bunnies anywhere inside either projector. Actually very clean. All of the mirrors and the and lenses looked clear as did the angled filters. We actually took out the LCD cube and blew no dust out. Then we switched the cubes between the two projectors and, wonder-of-wonders, the green wash followed the cube to the other projector. So now we know where the problem is. But, how do we fix it?

Noted the 3 LCD chips "may" have separate part numbers (couldn't see clearly, didn't want to unmount them yet), but, can we buy a single chip or do we have to buy the cube of three? We guessed they might have been calibrated as a set in a jig that we couldn't duplicate, but don't know. Our reassembling was successful and the colored pixels seemed to be where they should be - well calibrated.

Doesn't seem to be any repair instructions on the web. But, these seem to be Sony LCD's so maybe I looked in the wrong place. I'l try again.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, this last post didn't get added to the original post. Probably my fault. Any way the first post with the whole story was on Aug 7th.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
If it problem followed the swap or the optical block, that would seem to be the part to replace. Unfortunately those are normally not serviceable and replaced as a unit costing as much or more than replacing the projector. This is why you see no instructions.. it is like a cracked LCD TV.. new LCD is 2x the cost of a new TV..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts