Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help here guys!

I sold an XG 135 projector to a customer in Grandview, Mo, which is close to Kansas City, Mo. Despite careful packing in a crate, it arrives damaged. I send out a second XG 135 retubed, with more packing material.

Tinkle, tinkle, the customer uncrates it and finds glass all over the inside of the projector. Smashed tube.

The customer is not comfortable in popping the chassis open to find out which tube it is.

We either have a choice here to send both projectors back, or I can send him a tube and have him find someone to retube it.

He's been really patient (and I'm losing my mind with these &^%$^& trucking companies), and I'd like to get him running sooner than later.

Can anyone help? I'll pay good cash money for a repair. Have tubes in stock...

Need an answer ASAP so that we can decide on which direction we're going to take.

Note to NEC XG sellers: I have had more XG tubes get smashed in shipping than any other set. They always snap right where the yoke meets the tube bell. I had one shipped to me on the weekend that was smashed as well, but at least that one was a burnt blue tube...

Pack these projectors very well before shipping and insure the heck out of them.

Curt

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Curt,

Amen on that one, it seems anything that one guy has to pick up gets rolled. I was also thinking to put a styro block under the neck to support it, but then someone would forget to take it out and flame it.

I finally found a good solution to this, I refuse to ship and all my problems went away. Its a shame to see new tubes get treated like this after all the care that we give these.

The last XG I shipped went to South Korea and it made it just fine. He arraigned shipping so I know they can make it. Insure for full replacement value. The factory shipping box does pretty good if you can find them, new these are really expensive but approved by most shipping insurance Co's. Doug

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Curt, how often do you use Air Freight vs ground freight?

This might be interesting to do a poll on, but I've had two XG's shipped to me by air, and both arrived perfect.

I also believe Bob Wood uses air freight, a company called "Forward Air"...I'm sending an XG terminal to terminal (Florida to San Fran) for $56...however, I am going to cross my fingers.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The strange thing is that I hardly ever have problems with smashed sets coming to me strapped to pallets wrapped in bubble wrap, and they're fine. When I send them out I get custom crates made and pack them well.

I used to use air shipping exclusively but then I found out that unless the airlines lose the projectors, they do not insure for damage. I tried Pilot Air, and like UPS, they find every excuse to challenge the claim. I got $125.00 for the last one.

Now I use www.freightquote.com with third party insurance. It takes over 90 days to get the money (I have yet to get any money, the claims are 'in the works', but I will get paid.)

Now where's my tech in MO?..:)

Curt

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
did you do a search for Home Theater in KC.

I got a couple:

The Audioport sells runco, so they should be able to at least point you in the right direction.

Audioport- 7329 W. 97th St Overland Park, KS 66212

913/341-2222 Fax 341-3019- http://www.audioport.com/

A To Z Theatrical Supply & Svc

(816) 523-1655 Website 307 W 80th St

Kansas City, MO Map

Allied Theatre Crafts Inc

(816) 452-7299 8600 NE Underground Dr # P110

Kansas City, MO Map

Home Theater West

(913) 894-6800 2115 E Kansas City Rd

Olathe, KS Map

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Audioport seems to be the best bet.

A-Z replied when asked if they repair video projectors: "What's a video projector?"

HT West is out of business...

Thanks for the help!

Curt

·
Registered
437 Posts
Doug,

Why not put the styrafoam block under the neck and disconnect some power component inside that has to be pushed in (say a fuse or connector) after the styrafoam is removed?

I would put a not on the styrafoam that says to "remove this" and instructions on the outside that carefully gives step by step "idiot" instructions before powering up. I'd also cover the power plug socket with tape and a warning note.

Just an idea. But not shipping certainly guarantees no problems with the shipping carrier:) Just makes delivery and pickup a bit harder.

Perhaps the forum needs to set up it's own convoy to move projectors around the country with gentle hands:D

Regards,

Ira

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
To quote from Curt: "The customer is not comfortable in popping the chassis open to find out which tube it is. "

I would doubt that some people would be comfortable taking styrofoam blocks out and plugging things in, regardless of how "idiot proof" the instructions.

I second your idea of a convoy. It would be nice to KNOW something is going to arrive whole.

Professional crating doesn't mean its always protected properly from shock INSIDE the crate. I've seen a pj that was crated by a "professional" and it had NO styrofoam or high density foam padding inside the crate AT ALL. I did, however, receive a crate with two pj's in it, and they were the BEST packed pj's I've ever seen. All craters are not created equal.

PS: The pj I saw with NO padding came from the setting sun, have you seen how your pj's are packed ?

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to be using road cases lined in foam from now on. The problem is that these cases are expensive and I cannot afford to send them offshore...

I have 4 instock that I will be rotating for applicable projectors.

In talking to Eric at projectorspecs and Doug Baisey, it seems that we all agree that XG's are the most fragile of all due to the amount of weight hanging off the CRT necks..:-(

One good dropkick and a tube goes BANG! (or is that !GNAB).. (implosion, ya know!)

The customer has found a dealer in Kansas City that has retubed Electrohome Marquees for years, so I feel quite comfortable that he can do a great job on the NEC when I find out what tube he needs...

Curt

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Curt,

Good call. I have noticed on some pallets that come in that they have air filled green "donuts" attached to all 4 corners. I thought this was a clever idea, It would at least break the shock and say this side down. I dont know where to get those but they might help on the road case also. Doug

·
Registered
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Baisey
Curt,

Good call. I have noticed on some pallets that come in that they have air filled green "donuts" attached to all 4 corners. I thought this was a clever idea, It would at least break the shock and say this side down. I dont know where to get those but they might help on the road case also. Doug

The doughnuts are called "Skid Mates" Any packaging company has them.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi Paul,
Quote:
To quote from Curt: "The customer is not comfortable in popping the chassis open to find out which tube it is. "

I would doubt that some people would be comfortable taking styrofoam blocks out and plugging things in, regardless of how "idiot proof" the instructions.
So you're saying they would be more comfortable doing a replacement of a broken tube?:)

Any one that buy's a CRT better be prepared to open the box, or have a professional set it up. Either way, they could remove the foam I suspect.

Regards,

Ira

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.