AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've constructed a mount out of strut. We just want to confirm that 10mm bolts from the strut into the threaded inserts where the leveling feet go are strong enough to support the unit. I have an NEC XG 110 LC.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I have an XG1100, with 3/8th" threaded rod between the projector and the unistrut. Forum member Chris Williams was in KC from Chicago and helped me out. He had constructed a number of these before. You may wish to send him a private message.

We didn't use the holes from the leveling feet. I believe I read previously that these were not designed to hold the weight of the projector.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
If you use them with the projector floor mounted, they would have to hold the weight of the projector, wouldn't they?

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Guys,

The threaded feet will hold the projector no problem. I have hung many stackers (on top of each other) units this way with no problems what so ever.

They are designed to carry the weight of the projector two folds and then some.

Using the feet threads you need to keep the bottom plate flat, extra care needs to be taken so you dont 'flex' the projector chassis and unseat the boards. The mother board is bolted to the bottom plate. Use a double nut and fender washer to secure then measure. Doug

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
"We didn't use the holes from the leveling feet. I believe I read previously that these were not designed to hold the weight of the projector" -- My bad.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I have a chief lift that rocks slightly front to back and the kitchen is upstairs so I used the feet for stabilizing and leveling.

See pix below. Sorry its a bit out of focus. :(

http://advancedcomputerdesigns.com/xgfeet.jpg

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I have seen a few installs where 3/8" threaded rod is used in the feet threaded hols to hang a PJ. Seems to hold fine.

Terry

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all!

Is there a better way to hang it using strut? Is there a better design, in general?

We chose strut due to other posts on the forum and it's flexibility in pivot, side to side, and up-down angling. The "other posts" may not have addressed the XG model specifically.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
We use unistrut all the time w/ XG's. The difference is that we also use an XG mount, and run threaded ron from the mount to the "captiveP unistrut nuts. For drop of 8" or less 3/8" threaded rod, for 9" or more, 1/2" threaded rod. You get a bit more stability that way.

Terry

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
3/8 rod? We're using 10 mm bolts. Is that OK?

Terry, in your method with the mount, how is the projector attached to the unistrut?

Just thought of another question. Should we open the case and put a nut on the other side of the bolt?

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Crescent,

We use the XG mount, attach threaded rod to it, and then attach to unistrut.

The folks who use the threaded rod into the feel holes, screw it in and I don't think use any nuts inside the unit.

Terry

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have completed my home theater room and would like to give back the results of my experiences to the forum that taught me so much.

It's been three months now and these bolts are holding fine utilizing the threaded holes in the feet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.