AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a used Crystal image scaler to go along with my XG110 and Panasonic RP82 DVD player. I want to be able to run 720P and would like to know what people think of this combination. Is there a better scaler that one could buy for about the same amount of money? $600 used? What down falls are there with this scaler?

http://www.avscience.com/crysatl.htm

Thanks Rick

·
Registered
796 Posts
Rick,

Does not look like a lot of folks have experience with the CI scaler. I have had mine for over a year now. It has worked flawlessly. The only complaint I have with the unit is that the picture is not quite a sharp as others I have seen on the XG units. I also am using the Panny RP-82.

My opinion is that if you can find a used unit for $600, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I used a Crystal Image one day with my xg135 and returned it. It was not good. I now use a PD-1000 (replaced by the PD-1100) and I love it. The picture it produces is fantastic. I've had it about 1-1/2 years.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
It is "old" technology in scaler years. So much has happened in the past fews years in that market. Personally I would use it or recommend the CI product any more.

For about the same money you could get a Lumagen Vision or for a bit more a Focus CS1.

Terry

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have had a CI VS2 scaler for several years that I've recently replaced with a Lumagen Vision.

The VS2 does a very good job of scaling, but it suffers from problems that I believe originate from its use of an 8-bit DAC. In my setup I would get quite visible banding with any material displaying continuous gradients. Unfortunately as time goes by you tend to see these artifacts more and more in everything from close-up skin tones to background skies.

I am very happy with the Lumagen and I would encourage you to give it a try if it is compatible with your display equipment. The Lumagen doesn't suffer from any of the artifacts that plagued the CI and it seems quite a bit more flexible in terms of setup and configuration.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have the CI4.0, I have seen many people offer opinions on the CI2. I believe the key difference is that the CI2 is an 8bit unit and CI4 is a 10bit unit, in addition to better software and resolutions. I have not had any problems with the CI4. I do agree that the CI2 and 4 are not top tech, and many processors are much more advanced, but the CI4 works well for me and my Barco 1208/2. I suggest that you demo the unit and decide if you are happy. For the money, it does seem like a good deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.