AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen this before? have an XG135 that all three guns havd a wiggle on the far left sideof the screen. This wiggle is in the extreme left, is on the horizontal lines and is effected from the top left to the bottom lrft.

Curt?? Darren??

Thanks,

Terry

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hello..

Yes, mine too. I think it happen to all the XG135LC (bought my NEC brand new from AVS forum). You can adjust it (as my installer did), so the wiggle area not being used, hence it did not effect anything.

regards,

adzan

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I have it on my XG852 as well. I use the masking setting to remove it. I have similar 'noise' on the bottom as well (but not the top/right side).

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmmm, so based on these two replies am I to assume this is common with the XG series? Sure I can expand the picture and use blanking I guess to hide it.

Terry

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I use HTPC and do not have this...I don't think...I'll open up my blanking tonight and have a look.

What resolution and refresh rates are you using?

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On the one I am mentioning, it's at 1708 x 960 @ 72 Hz from a HTPC.

Thanks Vern I will.

Terry

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Have you tried lower resolutions, your using 118 mhz of bandwidth right now, that's certain putting the XG through it's paces.

Just had a look at mine...I have a minor amount of it on the left side, but it's clear off the screen area. I'm using [email protected], which is 99.5 mhz of bandwidth.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
It does indeed appear to be a common problem with the XG's. The leftmost portion of the raster is affected by the beam deflection circuits not yet settling after horizontal retrace. If you have a video source whose front porch is long enough and back porch short enough, you can shift the active image to a later portion of the raster. That keeps the active image out of the "squiggly" portion of the raster, but you must then intentionally center the raster left of true center to keep the image centered on screen.

On a Faroudja, the front and back porch timings are too short to allow much image shift in the raster so you are stuck with accepting the squiggles. The timing flexibility on a HTPC helps you avoid the issue.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guy,

I did some work on the front and back porch and did minimize this effect a bit. Perhaps a bit more.

Thanks for the input all.

Terry

·
Registered
782 Posts
During my first attempt to setup up a memory slot for my HTPC ([email protected] via powerstrip) my XG135 too had the squiggles on the first few inches of each line.

Per Doug Baisley's instructions, I deleted all pre-set permanent settings from memory positions 1-10 power cycled the XG135 and then started from scratch using a temporary memory setting to store my adjustments into before writing the final configuration into memory. This worked great. Apparently when the XG first syncs up to a new scan rate it will use data from a memory slot that is close to new rate, sometimes leading to anomalies as those listed above.

Search the threads for Doug's tips on how to use temporary memory on the XG135.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will. But his was a "fresh" install for a customer and I had deleted all memories prior to starting the setup.

Terry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.