AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given that these three projector(1350, 1292q, G70) are set up correctly and have no wear on the CRT's which one would look the best? I would like to be able to resolve 1080P if possible.

·
Registered
869 Posts
In terms of resolution, the 9" projector, properly setup, properly performing to Mfg specifications, will always out resolve a 8" projector. I personally would never want a small airplane - opps - I mean 1292 in my theater.

Jeff in Detroit

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
I prefer the XG 135 far over a G 70 and the 1292.

Curt

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Although the G 70 is very sharp, I can't stand what I perceive as washed out fleshtones. I've set up 6 of the G 70's now, and would take even an XG 75 in a heartbeat over a G 70.

Given a choice between a 27" TV and a G 70, I'd have to think about it..;)

Of course that's my personal opinion, and while I've had a few people agree with me, there's most likely as many out here that would perfer a G 70 over an XG. It's all personal preference.

Curt

·
Registered
827 Posts
I agree with Curt but would give the G70 the first place. The colors on NECs look more rich compared to a G70 but setup and corner focus is better on the SONY.

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
True, the G 70 set up is a snap. But given the time and experience, I think that an XG can equal or outperform a G 70 with focus.

Plus, HT information is actually pretty forgiving with very slight defocusing, so I place color over miniscule focusing differences, putting the XG in first place. This thread can go on for pages with comments and opinions like this, so it has a lot to do with personal preference.

Curt

·
Registered
596 Posts
The thing I have always liked about the NEC's is their Memory Management....

100 discrete convergence memories that you can easily get to.

I can't stand the projectors that tie memories to scan frequencies.

Even doing the "5 BNC Mode" on the Sonys to arrange the memories, to me is a pain in the ass.

My .02

Drew

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Yes component in for 1080i Scott. That is a plus.

I like em both, but do have a preference for the XG's.

The Sony's picture is a bit softer than the XG's which is what most folks who like them, like. More "film like" they tell me. The colors can be very good on the G70's.

But the XG's be it LC or not, have without a doubt the best colors I have ever seen. They do need some work to get the blacks correct and the XG has another flaw that I hope to be tracking down one of these days, that once fixed, will make the XG a world class projector. Up there with MP's modded 9500.

Terry

Terry

·
Registered
722 Posts
They do need some work to get the blacks correct and the XG has another flaw that I hope to be tracking down one of these days, that once fixed, will make the XG a world class projector. Up there with MP's modded 9500.

What flaw is that?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Quote:
I can't stand the projectors that tie memories to scan frequencies.
Drew

How do I untie my XG1352 from scan frequencies? It automatically picks the freq that matches and I do not seem able to force it onto something else set up for a diff freq.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Bump.

These are some good questions.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Curt is getting soft in his old age. He used to think Sony G70 projectors were nothing more than expensive boat anchors! Then he got a couple of them to play with and low and behold he actually has a few for sale from time to time.

·
Registered
159 Posts
When I first started visiting this forum, many of my purchasing decisions were based on "OPINIONS" from various members . It took me a while to remind myself that each person has his or her own opinions about almost anything. G70, 1292, XG135, which is best? As my best friend son said, once you past 50 and your eyesight is no longer 20/20, it doesn't matter which projector you use. My opinion, my 1292 configured in a rear projection setup with the Rock+ out performs the other models. Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't have sold my XG135 with only 3 hours on it.

Stop tweaking and enjoy whatever you have!!!

Felix

·
Registered
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RearProjection1292
Stop tweaking and enjoy whatever you have!!!
Keep tweaking and enjoy your tweaking!!!:D :D

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Felix, as one of the over 50 crowd I have to say, well said!

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Just when I thought there wasn't anything CRT related that Curt didn't know or couldn't do, I learn he can't dial in a G70! (the ONLY logical explanation for his G70 critique) Tell me it ain't so Curt, tell me it ain't so... ;)

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Phil,

I have seen one or two G70's myself and there is something to the picture of the XG that makes it look clearer and crisper.

Mind you, there is a drop off in focus to the sides with the XG more than with the G70 but the picture still is looking clearer and more detailed.

The same holds true for the comparison between 10 PG and 1292 BTW :)

And I think we all agree that the G70 is a snap to set up compared to the XG series.

Oliver

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Oliver,

With so many XG aficionados, it's obvious that the XG is a great projector. But I doubt the difference between the XG and G70 is much as many of you suggest. I'm currently playing DVDs with a PDI/xCard/dScaler combo in my HTPC. While the colors aren't perfect, they're very good, so I don't see how the XG could be anything but slightly better. As for sharpness, my G70 is as good as the source material. There's no room for improvement, so I do not see how the XG could possibly be better.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.