AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased the B&K Ref 50 and AV125.7 amplifier and am awaiting their arrival. Both have XLR connections and I would like to use them. What is the difference between the $100.00 plus XLR cables that are "audio" interconnects and the $15.00 to $30.00 XLR microphone cables? The mic cables seem like they would be built to a high standard as most are professional use. The price difference makes me believe that the "audio" label is being used to charge more. Are the two cables the same? Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I too have wondered the same thing. Any responses will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
The $100 cables may have better visual appeal. You can get Canare Star quad or Belden 1800 XLR cables (with Neutrik connectors) in the $15-$30 range. These will work very well for your purposes...

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WFulp
I have purchased the B&K Ref 50 and AV125.7 amplifier and am awaiting their arrival. Both have XLR connections and I would like to use them. What is the difference between the $100.00 plus XLR cables that are "audio" interconnects and the $15.00 to $30.00 XLR microphone cables? The mic cables seem like they would be built to a high standard as most are professional use. The price difference makes me believe that the "audio" label is being used to charge more. Are the two cables the same? Any insight would be appreciated.
Be careful with cheap mic cables... they can be quite poor in quality. Some of them use XLR connectors that use pressure (not even crimp) to make contact with the wire. These cables often short out, can have signal drops from poor connections, don't stand up to any sort of abuse (including snaking wires through holes) and aren't bought by studios... they are bought by everyday musicians who don't want to spend the money on a quality cable. That being said, when you get to about $30-50 for short lengths, the quality of a mic cables goes up dramatically and make good audio interconnects. A good Canare or Mogami cable with quality Neutrik XLRs will run you around $30-$40 (some Neutrik connectors aren't actually very good as I have found out... don't remember the model # though).

As far as the sound quality, you can get into that with all sorts of subjective cable discussions that I will avoid... My comments above shouldn't be misconstrued to imply that a $100+ home audio cables are built well either because of price... some are and some aren't...

·
Registered
432 Posts
You nailed it - no difference.

Here's a link for you.

http://www.avcable.com/Merchant/merc...egory_Code=LC1

Enjoy your new toys.

Austin

Quote:
Originally posted by WFulp

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.