AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently got my hand on a refurbished AV7701 for my Emotiva XPA-5(Gen. 2) n M&K S150 speakers.

They sound pretty good after doing a Manual setting since the Audyssey setting just made my system sound so lean with no body n lack of bass. I end up switching the Audyssey to OFF.

My question here is ... Will the XLR connection further improve my sound, since I am currently using my old Gotham RCA cables ??? However, the distance between the Marantz n Emotiva is only 2.5M, n I am wondering if I should re-solder those cables(4 strands inside) to XLR.

Any tips would be highly appreciated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:kiss:

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tks but cannot find anything on Xlr output.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Just recently got my hand on a refurbished AV7701 for my Emotiva XPA-5(Gen. 2) n M&K S150 speakers.

They sound pretty good after doing a Manual setting since the Audyssey setting just made my system sound so lean with no body n lack of bass. I end up switching the Audyssey to OFF.

My question here is ... Will the XLR connection further improve my sound, since I am currently using my old Gotham RCA cables ??? However, the distance between the Marantz n Emotiva is only 2.5M, n I am wondering if I should re-solder those cables(4 strands inside) to XLR.

Any tips would be highly appreciated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:kiss:
If you've already got a "clean" signal, the answer is no. Balanced connections are designed to reject extraneous noise/hum from the system over long cable runs. Over your 2.5m distance, it's unlikely you'll pick up any audible noise.

However... there's another consideration. Your XPA-5 has an input sensitivity of 1.8V. (See the specs at the back of your manual.) This means each channel requires a 1.8V input signal from the pre-amp to drive the amps to full rated power (into 8Ω). Now, the Marantz AV7701 (.pdf) has a rated output of 1.2V through the unbalanced pre-outs. [The maximum output (at some level of THD) may well be somewhat higher, but this figure is not given.] This means that the AV7701 may not be capable of cleanly driving the XPA-5's amps to full power via it's unbalanced pre-outs. On the other hand, the AV7701 has a rated output of 2.4V (double) through the balanced pre-outs. Clearly, this means the AV7701 is capable of easily driving the XPA-5's amps to full power via its balanced pre-outs. This is a desirable outcome.

If you've already invested a couple of grand on the Marantz and the Emotiva, why baulk at a set of relatively cheap cables? To remove all doubt and allow the XPA-5 to operate up to its full potential, just get a set of five solidly constructed, economical XLR terminated cables from your local pro-sound shop (say). Hook 'em up and forget about it. Job done! :D

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tks Giegar for your detailed explanation, especially on the output gain part that I am not aware of. Maybe I should get a 5pcs.set of Xlr cables to do a AB test with the Rca, rather than re-soldering .

Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Tks Giegar for your detailed explanation, especially on the output gain part that I am not aware of. Maybe I should get a 5pcs.set of Xlr cables to do a AB test with the Rca, rather than re-soldering .

Thanks again for your input.
Do yourself a favor. Go XLR if you can swing it. The connectors/connection alone are worth it. Rerun Audyssey after you switch to XLR.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I read it somewhere that if one is using XLR connection, no expensive cable is needed. Right ???

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Technically yes. The only time things get a bit murky is when dealing with some cables which have high capacitance and/or high resistance which in long cables runs can attenuate the high frequencies. Unless a manufacturer states the cable specs, the only way to tell is to measure them yourself with a meter. But any well made cable will be similar in sound.

Blue Jeans Cables are a good deal.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally do the XLR hookup n I just have to say WOW ! All the distortion are gone n can hear more ambience from the background, the imagining is good n even the sound stage(outer boundaries) are so precise.

The only problem now is that after re-calibration, the Subwoofer goes from -2.5db to +3.0db, but feel less lower bass than before. Any tips in setup to improve this, rather than me keep increasing the Subwoofer gain.

It seems I owe it to myself not to do the XLR sooner. Thanks again for all input.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Finally do the XLR hookup n I just have to say WOW ! All the distortion are gone n can hear more ambience from the background, the imagining is good n even the sound stage(outer boundaries) are so precise.
While there may have been some minor cleaning up of signal by going balanced, the vast majority of what you're experiencing is due to expectation bias (among others) and the thrill of new a new bit of gear. AC, ask yourself a simple question: "How could bits of wire that carry pre-amp level audio possibly do what I'm experiencing?" Then answer the question logically. ;)

The only problem now is that after re-calibration, the Subwoofer goes from -2.5db to +3.0db, but feel less lower bass than before. Any tips in setup to improve this, rather than me keep increasing the Subwoofer gain.
Buy a fancy subwoofer cable.

Nah, I'm kidding! :D

It's possible the gain knob on the sub is not in the same position (lower) as it was when you did you're previous Audyssey run and it's now setting the trim higher to compensate. The end result is the same, as Audyssey is simply setting up the total gain of the system, but it's desirable to have the level trims set in negative territory if possible.

The other thing to check is if some silly defaults have returned due to the fresh Audyssey run, for example: Dynamic EQ = Off; Dynamic Volume = Light; Dolby Night Mode = On etc.

It seems I owe it to myself not to do the XLR sooner. Thanks again for all input.
Glad you're enjoying it. With the extra input voltage available, your Emotiva will at least be able to perform up to it's capabilities if/when required. :)

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your comment. However a standalone Preamp like AV7701 is really a big step up in imagining n dynamics than using the preamp section of my old Pioneer Elite recevier. Of course, the XLR connection makes it even better.

Will play with the Audyssey n Manual setup more this weekend n hope to find the Lost Bass !!!

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just did another calibration last nite, in a correct way, the mic on a tripod rather than on a carton the last 2 times. It did make a big difference n the bass n mid-bass seems to be where they should be. Did not even need to increase the Subwoofer volume at all.

However, I did the Audyssey setup as well as the the Manual setup right after. If I keep the Audyssey ON, does it mean those setting in Manual will not come in play , n vice versa if I have Audyssey OFF ???

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Just did another calibration last nite, in a correct way, the mic on a tripod rather than on a carton the last 2 times. It did make a big difference n the bass n mid-bass seems to be where they should be. Did not even need to increase the Subwoofer volume at all.

However, I did the Audyssey setup as well as the the Manual setup right after. If I keep the Audyssey ON, does it mean those setting in Manual will not come in play , n vice versa if I have Audyssey OFF ???
OK, there's three separate (but related) operations that Audyssey performs when you do a run: checks speaker polarity, works out the basic setup parameters, and calculates the FIR filters for the Audyssey EQ.

When it measures the first point (main listening position) to collect acoustic data, it also does the basic setup parameters by calculating the speaker distances and individual channel level trims and "reports" them to the AVR. These settings persist whether Audyssey EQ is ON or OFF. If you manually change channel level trims or speaker distances, Audyssey is not affected and will remain ON.

Audyssey then uses the acoustic data collected from the first and all subsequent measurement points to calculate the FIR filters for each channel. It applies these filters when Audyssey EQ is ON. This is quite separate to the DSP applying channel level trims and delays (derived from distances), whether they're values collected by Audyssey, or manually changed later.

If you do manually change anything that does effect Audyssey EQ's proper operation, it will be disabled (appears greyed out in the menu) and you won't have the option of switching it ON until you restore the particular setting.

Hope that explains it. :)

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for your detailed explanation. To confirm my understanding is correct, I will leave the Audyssey ON at all time from now on(since it sounds so good now), whatever I did on Manual setup will not affect it at all. Right ?

OTE=GIEGAR;33738241]OK, there's three separate (but related) operations that Audyssey performs when you do a run: checks speaker polarity, works out the basic setup parameters, and calculates the FIR filters for the Audyssey EQ.

When it measures the first point (main listening position) to collect acoustic data, it also does the basic setup parameters by calculating the speaker distances and individual channel level trims and "reports" them to the AVR. These settings persist whether Audyssey EQ is ON or OFF. If you manually change channel level trims or speaker distances, Audyssey is not affected and will remain ON.

Audyssey then uses the acoustic data collected from the first and all subsequent measurement points to calculate the FIR filters for each channel. It applies these filters when Audyssey EQ is ON. This is quite separate to the DSP applying channel level trims and delays (derived from distances), whether they're values collected by Audyssey, or manually changed later.

If you do manually change anything that does effect Audyssey EQ's proper operation, it will be disabled (appears greyed out in the menu) and you won't have the option of switching it ON until you restore the particular setting.

Hope that explains it. :)[/QUOTE]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.