AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Sirius tuner for my car because my friend has a factory XM tuner and the quality is just horrible. It sounds like a 64kbps mp3 in fact. But now that I've had Sirius for the past 4 months, I'm wondering if I should've went with XM based on content. Sirius' playlists are lacking in my opinion as I can hear the same song a few times during the day. I also find myself changing the channels more than anything trying to find a song I like. While listening to my friend's XM account online, it seems like every song they play on a station, I'm digging it so I'm not constantly changing the channel.

But anyway, to the reason why I started this thread...

From what I've read, XM uses CBR while Sirius uses VBR. Can anyone confirm this? And what bitrate do they stream at?? Doing some Googling, I can't find anything that is concrete.

I know you can't compare when the hardware is different, but I'm more interested in finding out which provider's compression technology is better for sound quality.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I don't have the facts, but I do have ears

I have both XM and Sirius, both at home and in my SUV. All plug and play units, all hardwired connections, no FM modulators, wired or wireless involved. Some stations on XM sound better then Sirius, some stations on Sirius sound better than XM.

I do A/B comparisons all the time, generally speaking, the two services, while they may sound different, to me neither one sounds significantly better than the other, unless you take into consideration Fine Tuning and XM Pops on XM. At home both services are played through my home theater receiver, in my Mountaineer both are connected to the headunit via a dual auxiliary adaptor.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have listened to both and honestly don't hear a lick of difference.

I have heard some claim XM sounds better and others claim Sirius sounds better.

I have XM and think it is just fine sound wise.

I think you should choose based on programming moreso

·
Registered
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mehs /forum/post/0

I don't have the facts, but I do have ears

I have both XM and Sirius, both at home and in my SUV. All plug and play units, all hardwired connections, no FM modulators, wired or wireless involved. Some stations on XM sound better then Sirius, some stations on Sirius sound better than XM.

I do A/B comparisons all the time, generally speaking, the two services, while they may sound different, to me neither one sounds significantly better than the other, unless you take into consideration Fine Tuning and XM Pops on XM. At home both services are played through my home theater receiver, in my Mountaineer both are connected to the headunit via a dual auxiliary adaptor.

+1...I have both and came to the exact same conclusion. It just comes down to musical preference IMHO.

I prefer the playlists on XM more.

My brother has both, too...he likes Sirius' playlist better.

Go figure.

·
Registered
266 Posts
You won't find anything concrete because it's not concrete even on each system.

XM, while they don't dynamically allocate bandwidth "on the fly" like SIRIUS supposedly does, they also don't use the same bitrate on each channel, and they change them alot -- for instance when baseball season is off, a few of the channels seem to get a bump up.

The only guarentee is the XMHD channels are always 64kbps AACplus with SBR. The rest of them, while also AACplus with SBR, vary in bit rates from 24kbps for the 40s channel to 48kbps for the more popular ones (for example).

If you have a MyFi or Airware you can get the bitrate by recording the channel until the memory is exhausted. Since the memory of the unit is 128MBytes, you'll get around 5 hours for a 64kbps channel, and more like 9 or 10 hours on a 32kbps channel. The only exception is the weather and a few canadian channels which don't use AACplus, but AMBE instead.

SIRIUS, you're kinda out of luck for figure out the bitrates as far as I know since I don't have a good method and since it changes by the hour even--but the dynamic bandwidth allocation can explain why one channel might sound good one day, and all of sudden doesn't sound good when there are a lot of NFL games (for example).

It's also important to note that SIRIUS uses the older "PAC" codec and no SBR as far as I know. SO to answer which one "techinically" sounds worse--SIRIUS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.