AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the XM sat lower in the sky than the Sirius one? I ask because one of my cars has siruis, and the other XM. Today driving from Portland to Seattle, I lost XM a TON of times in clear areas. Sirius has never dropped driving that same route.

Making sure before I run back to the dealer to find out what the heck is going on.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I pretty much only drop XM coverage when driving with a solid rock wall to the West or SouthWest. Only exception are (1) 2 spots where the is a mountain/hill is exactly the wrong spot a mile or two away and I get a very quick drop and (2) after a very heavy rain when I get a couple extra dropouts from heavy tree coverage.

Sounds like you've got installation issues. The real test is where you get droupouts. If it's in the exact same spot every time, it's likely to be a blocked satellite. If it comes and goes, that's an installation problem.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickeame
Is the XM sat lower in the sky than the Sirius one?
Yes they are. XM has two satellites in a stationary orbit above the equator. Sirius has 3 satellites that move in an oval pattern, with at least one (usually two) of the satellites over the northern hemisphere.

While this puts the Sirius satellites higher in the sky (relative to the angle from the US, not necessarily farther away from earth), it has its plusses & minuses. Becasue the XM satellites are in a fixed location, reception in a given spot is usually consistent. I have an XM radio in my office and there is a spot on my window sill that I can get between trees to see the satellite. Since the satellite is always in the same location in relationship to earth, I can always get a signal. If I tried to do the same with Sirius, I wouldn't be able to get a consistent signal.

On the other hand, being higher in the sky, can allow for less interference problems due to trees or buildings when you are driving.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.