Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All:

I hope this is the right forum for this one. I just wondered if anyone had experience with XM radio yet. I am sooo tempted, but I am hesitant until they come with some decent hardware. So far the ONLY thing for home that I can find is that little Sony, and besides being ugly, it's $300!!!

Anyway, living in a city of 400,000 we have no decent radio stations! The only one I like is a college station, and I can't even get it in my house! I live 7 minutes from the school, and I can't get it, but I can get it in my car an hour away! dang!

Anyway, I thought XM would be cool b/c they cover the festivals live. They did Merlefest, and I heard they are doing Telluride, and some others! That to me is worth the subscription price, but the hardware is still steep, and there aren't many options.

What do you guys think? You think this may be another Iridium with the price they are charging for the hardware?

Share your thoughts. . .

B

·
Registered
276 Posts
briley1,

I have (and pay for) cable because the quality of reception and (most of the) programming of over-the-air stations doesn't please me. If I wanted an OTA radio alternative, I think I'd feel OK paying the $10/month or whatever--if XM (or Sirius) gave me what I wanted.

I would find it a bit tough to get involved right now though given the paucity (and price) of home hardware.

My $.02

·
Registered
451 Posts
Brandon,

Does your digital satellite provider provide digital music along with your digital software package like digital cable companies do? Since I live in a condominium, I do not have digital satellite, but I do have digital cable (in addition to good FM OTA reception here in New York) that provides a lot of digital music, with wide variety, as part of my digital cable package at no additional charge.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim:

I have lots of music stations as part of DSS. I suppose the real draw for XM would be the live stuff for me. Most of the festivals are so huge, and it's such a hassle to go, but I love the music and would gladly pay to sit at home and hear it. I'll be interested to see how it plays out in the next several months. No one wants to be left with a $300 doorstop. . . Or 2 $500 ones like my amps. haha!

L8r,

B

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you spend any kind of time on the road- you simply have to experience XM. I gladly pay my $10 a month and feel I get my money's worth several times over. For home use, however, the music choice channels offer everything you could need.

I have the Sony plug 'n play unit that can go from car to house, but only use it in my car. The sound is CD quality, and you'll never use your regular radio again.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulM9999
...The sound is CD quality, and you'll never use your regular radio again.
The SQ is no where near CD quality. I e-mailed Sirius who employ a variable bit rate unlike XM's fixed and got the following response on data rate. Also XM's has a 100 channels and the same frequence size spectrum so you can safely assume that there average data rate would also be 64 Kbps.

Quote:
Julia Sierra

Customer Care Agent

Sirius Satellite Radio

...We do use variable rate, Sirius employs S>PLEX technology (statistical

multiplexing) which optimizes the fidelity on each channel to give you

superior sound resolution. The average bit rate per second of a music

channels is at 64 kbps....

64 Kbps ca and never will come close to matching CD quality, there is just to much missing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Let me be perfectly clear: I'm not an audiophile who goes around asking for bitrates. I can only tell you what I'm hearing.

I have a pioneer FM modulator unit (aka EL Cheapo Car unit for XM). I have my VW Monsoon system tuned to an FM station at 88.9 or something like that. I just remember it's in the 80s).

The music I hear over satellite radio, when I get a 3-bar signal (you see a signal strength indicator on the Pioneer unit) sounds much, much better than standard over the air radio in my area, and again, this is IMHO.

I like the variety of stations, the lack of commercials as well. I'm very happy with my $10 a month purchase. Now if they'd only have a lifetime deal....

That being said, your antenna has to be clear to the satellite - usually at least once on every drive, I've lost the signal for a second. It does come right back, but it's not perfect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.