Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I installed my frist XM)))radio system today and I must admit

I was really impressed. The sound quality was almost as good as CD and blew standard FM away.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I would be interested to find out if this is a complete replacement of your cars set or is this an add-on to an existing system ? For ex. can the unit sit in the trunk like my CD 6-pack ?

Is there a monthly fee like cable or once you buy this system your golden ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am not the original poster, but I think I can answer your questions.

"I would be interested to find out if this is a complete replacement of your cars set or is this an add-on to an existing system ?"

Entirely new unit (if for auto audio). It's an entirely new head unit to take the place of your old one...with an XM band additional to your AM and FM.

"For ex. can the unit sit in the trunk like my CD 6-pack ? "

No, not yet.

"Is there a monthly fee like cable or once you buy this system your golden ?"

There is a monthly fee...I believe it is $10/month for XM and $12 for Sirius.

Jer

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Actually, there are models for sale that are in-dash replacements, and models that add on to your existing unit much like an add-on 10 cd changer using a RF antenna hookup.

Crutchfield, among others, sell both types...

Robert

·
Registered
12 Posts
All the car units I have seen so far (Alpine & Pioneer) have a box (external to the head unit) that receives XM Radio. This box plugs into an "XM Ready" head unit. I have had an Alpine system for about 10 days and am very satisfied so far.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I am looking for a XM Satellite Radio PCI card for my HTPC.

Does anyone know if a PC product exists or at least has been announced ? This would be the last missing piece for my HTPC :)

TIA

·
Registered
729 Posts
I thought the bit rate was really low, like an average of 40kbps (bits not bytes) across all the channels? Real audio is more than that. And it sounds good?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Eeee Gads. This post is in direct contrast with the last XM user who said the sound quality was worse than FM. I think the bitrate is only 40K per channel.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I think you are wrong. XM is supposed to be cd quality. I do not believe it is only 40k. I think it is higher then mp3 even. I think it is 128k per channel or 256k total per station. They might use less for some of the talk radio stations.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I think it depends on the interface. By FCC law the high frequencies must be cut back a bit if you are using an FM modulator to get XM into your radio. This wouldn't apply if it is built into the main unit, not an add on.

I have the Sony unit that can move from car to car and into the home. The interface I have is a cassete FM modulator that pops into the radio. The sound quality is definately compromised by this method.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Dave, I agree with your analysis of the sound quality of XM Radio. I thought that the reason it didn't sound that great was due to the way I have my Sony hooked up. I can see now that there is more to it than that.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I stumbled across this thread today. Any new news on this service? I am interested, but don't spend enough time in my car. But I would like something like this for my house (DirecTv's music channels are horrible). From the little bit I've dug around, it sounds like the closest to a "home unit" would be the Sony plug and play unit.

Does anyone have this unit? Do you like it? Does it work well at home? Any information would be appreciated!

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I have the Sony unit hooked into my whole house audio and controlled by Crestron Home automation system. It works great!

When I want to go somewhere, I just pop the unit out of the home kit cradle and pop it into the car kit cradle and hit the road. One subscription for one unit that does double duty.

I had to buy a couple of extensions from Terk to get the antenna up to the roof but I couldn't be happier with it.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Free
I have the Sony unit hooked into my whole house audio and controlled by Crestron Home automation system. It works great!

When I want to go somewhere, I just pop the unit out of the home kit cradle and pop it into the car kit cradle and hit the road. One subscription for one unit that does double duty.

I had to buy a couple of extensions from Terk to get the antenna up to the roof but I couldn't be happier with it.
Free,

That's what I'm hoping to do as well. We have a whole house intercom system that I have hooked up to my stereo. It sounds like hooking the Sony unit up would do what I want it to do. I just have to figure out where to put the antenna!

Thanks for the reply.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.